FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

Looking around different conference member's websites, I came across an article outlining Brevard's spring practice. It looks like they are practicing with helmet with 3 full padded scrimmages...is there a reason they are doing this? If they are moving to D3 and the USAC shouldn't they have to conduct spring ball like the other 220+ member schools?

http://bctornados.com/article.asp?articleID=4661
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

I think they don't officially start the transition until sometime during the summer so technically they are still D2 so can do what D2 allows.

Pat Coleman

Yep, they are not transitional members of D-III until July 1. Belhaven did the same thing a couple years ago, coming from NAIA. (And I mention that because it didn't seem to help them much.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Scots13

Good point.

Pat, I agree. Barring a complete overhaul, it probably won't help.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Brevard released its schedule. All the USAC minus MC; E&H, Davidson, and Virginia-Lynchburg.

On the VUL subject, I hope Birmingham Southern is back in line to scrimmage MC this year and not VUL.

http://bctornados.com/article.asp?articleID=4686

NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

New coach at BSC this year. I'm guessing more rational decisions will start to be made there. Some anecdotal evidence from people in my office with junior/senior age football players shows they are actually recruiting as well.

Scots13

BSC had a couple years where they looked to be on a roll and making something out of a newer program. They went the LaGrange route instead of the Huntingdon route, which is a shame.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on April 10, 2017, 10:33:34 AM
Brevard released its schedule. All the USAC minus MC; E&H, Davidson, and Virginia-Lynchburg.

On the VUL subject, I hope Birmingham Southern is back in line to scrimmage MC this year and not VUL.

I hope VUL will just go away ... what a joke ... both academically and athletically.

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on April 10, 2017, 01:47:22 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on April 10, 2017, 10:33:34 AM

I hope VUL will just go away ... what a joke ... both academically and athletically.

Agreed.

On another note, hasa, Davidson must be hurting...2 D3's on the schedule this year. At least we'll get to see how Brevard and Guilford match up with a common opponent. It has  to be a good possibility for a game or two in years to come.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on April 10, 2017, 02:05:29 PM
On another note, hasa, Davidson must be hurting...2 D3's on the schedule this year. At least we'll get to see how Brevard and Guilford match up with a common opponent. It has  to be a good possibility for a game or two in years to come.

Since joining the Pioneer League they have gone 1-31 in football in conference. Frankly they are in a crappy position in a league that must be killing them cost wise. They played games in KY, IN, CA, and upstate NY last year. This year they play twice in FL, once in IA and once in KY. Lot of money to spend every year travelling around, so finding those OOC games, at any level, where they can play local is probably a lifesaver. It probably doesn't matter what division since they know they aren't going anywhere post season and it also is most likely the only way they are going to pick up a couple wins.

Hope DI basketball is worth it boys!

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on April 10, 2017, 02:50:28 PM

Since joining the Pioneer League they have gone 1-31 in football in conference. Frankly they are in a crappy position in a league that must be killing them cost wise. They played games in KY, IN, CA, and upstate NY last year. This year they play twice in FL, once in IA and once in KY. Lot of money to spend every year travelling around, so finding those OOC games, at any level, where they can play local is probably a lifesaver. It probably doesn't matter what division since they know they aren't going anywhere post season and it also is most likely the only way they are going to pick up a couple wins.

Probably is. 17-15 this year including a 9 point loss to UNC.  Although, they have got to be one of the smallest D1 school that have a football team. An enrollment of 1,950 is crazy low.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on April 10, 2017, 03:10:28 PM
Quote from: jknezek on April 10, 2017, 02:50:28 PM

Probably is. 17-15 this year including a 9 point loss to UNC.  Although, they have got to be one of the smallest D1 school that have a football team. An enrollment of 1,950 is crazy low.
Davidson has a very healthy endowment and recruits students nationally and internationally, so I don't think the travel cost is a stretch for them.  With Campbell leaving the Pioneer for full Big South membership and FCS in 2018, both DC and JU will be looking for games to fill their schedules.  Guilford used to play Davidson often, but Jacksonville will be the first time.  It's only 86 miles from the Guilford College campus to the Davidson campus, but 466 miles to JU.

Scots13

Stopped by campus yesterday afternoon for the Orange & Garnet Spring (two hand touch) Game. Defense looked better than last year and it seems JR Adam Diggs is the front runner for taking over under center. There's also some transfer (don't know what school) WR that looks like he can play some ball. I'm excited for Sept. 2. Just under 4 months away...
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HansenRatings

Decided I'm going to spam every conference board with my preseason (non-returning-starter-adjusted) projections.

Team   Rating   Overall   Conference
Huntingdon      0.8696   8.0-1.0   6.2-0.8
Maryville      0.7795   7.6-2.4   5.4-1.6
NC Wesleyan   0.6646   5.3-3.7   4.6-2.4
Averett         0.4437   4.1-4.9   3.5-3.5
Ferrum         0.3952   3.3-4.7   3.1-3.9
Methodist      0.3819   3.4-4.6   3.0-4.0
LaGrange      0.2142   2.4-6.6   1.9-5.1
Greensboro      0.0229   0.7-7.3   0.2-6.8

I don't really know enough about any of these teams to say anything you all don't probably know. Anything about this surprise anyone?
Follow me on Twitter. I post fun graphs sometimes. @LogHanRatings

Scots13

Sounds about right. That's how I would vote if we were doing a pre-season poll other than adding Brevard between LaGrange and Greensboro.
Little surprised at the 22 point difference between NCWC and Averett though. They're in the "right" spots, but I think they're a little closer to one another.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!