BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShineTime

So does this mean lechnir for sure is done I'm rather confused.  Did I miss the decision on appeal?
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on August 16, 2013, 10:30:46 PM
So does this mean lechnir for sure is done I'm rather confused.  Did I miss the decision on appeal?
Appeal had mixed results....

The committee concluded that Lechnir's side adequately proved that his program was sufficient in "Student Athlete Retention and Academic Success" and "Community Relations and Engagement" despite those being reasons by the university for the coach's dismissal.  The other two factors under debate were "Fundraising" and "Administrative Duties" and the committee decided that Lechnir "failed to carry his burden of persuasion" on those topics.

Because the results were mixed, the committee was unable to make a "specific and clear recommendation" to Chancellor Richard Wells, who will now make the decision alone.

http://www.wearegreenbay.com/1fulltext-sports/uw-oshkosh-ready-to-interview-baseball-coaching-candidates-lechnir-still-awaiting-appeal-decision/d/1fulltext-sports/qVDlDiS25ECpnUMC_DRjug
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

cubs

Former Whitewater standout and current North Park coach Kevin Tomasiewicz and Mount Union Pitching Coach Evan Agona other two finalists for UWO job...

ShineTime

Now the guy who dropped out wants back in.  I hope lechnir gets a good chunk of money after all this nonsense and I'm not one for sue happy people.  He was clearly wrongfully terminated
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

CrashDavisD3

How many DIII baseball coaches over the past 12 months that have won National Championships, ran succesful programs and left under less that ideal conditions?

My count is at 3.   It is a whole new world out there today and the politics and political correctness now far out way any type of sucess and support you have from your players. This is not a good thing in my opinon and just a sad direction that many things are going.

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

ShineTime

Does anyone think its possible a higher up took that missing money and pocketed it tried covering it by using lechnir?  I've done thousands of investigations in my professional career and this whole story is beyond fishy. 
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

Isn't Lechnir's position that the funds were misappropriated and used for other aspects of the developement of the athletic complex rather than applied to his baseball project?
"Just think twice is my only advice."

cubs

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on August 22, 2013, 05:01:02 PM
Isn't Lechnir's position that the funds were misappropriated and used for other aspects of the developement of the athletic complex rather than applied to his baseball project?
That would be correct....

ShineTime

I guess my point is does anyone think the so called shortage could've been pocketed?
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

Just Bill

Anything is possible, but I think the more likely scenario is that money earmarked for the baseball project was diverted elsewhere.

And technically, in and of itself, that's not illegal for a school to do. Once you donate money to a school, really the school is not legally obligated to use the money the way you wanted. Once you give it away, it's theirs.

Now, that said, in 99% of the cases, schools will use money earmarked for a project toward that project, because clearly diverting earmarked funds will REALLY make donors angry. Which will then create long-term problems for future fund-raising campaigns. When schools do need to divert funds they almost always call the donors and ask permission to re-purpose their donations. Diverting donations into other projects isn't illegal, but it's definitely bad business practice.

And, if you divert funds and then lie about that fact as a justification to fire an employee, THAT is illegal.

Ultimately, that's what the whole case comes down to. Was donated money earmarked specifically for the baseball stadium (Lechnir's position) or was that money earmarked for the entire outdoor facility project (UWO's position)? At best, there was a miscommunication of how this donated money was supposed to be used. At worst, someone moved funds around and then conveniently forgot (meaning, lied) about the agreement that was in place.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Spence

Not sure how anyone can say that Lechnir was wrongfully terminated. He took over a program that was arguably top 3 in the nation and now it is a clear #3 in the WIAC, if that.

In terms purely of performance on the field, it's a lot like how Denny Crum was 'retired' at Louisville after winning two national championships and two other Final Fours, but then making it past the Sweet 16 just once in the final 15 years of his career and ending his career with 0 NCAA tournament wins in the last 4 seasons.

Maybe that's not the whole reason why he was non-renewed, but it seems like reason enough to have an adequate defense for the decision.

Spence

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on August 21, 2013, 11:44:47 AM
How many DIII baseball coaches over the past 12 months that have won National Championships, ran succesful programs and left under less that ideal conditions?

My count is at 3.   It is a whole new world out there today and the politics and political correctness now far out way any type of sucess and support you have from your players. This is not a good thing in my opinon and just a sad direction that many things are going.

True, but I don't think UWO is a great example of this. As mentioned, UWO has not been that successful a program of late. Chapman and ECSU are pretty clearly not related at all to on-field results.

Just Bill

It's hard to apply D-I sensibilities to D-III coaching situations. D-III coaches are rarely fired exclusively over on-field results. There's almost always other factors.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Spence

Quote from: Just Bill on August 23, 2013, 05:47:55 PM
It's hard to apply D-I sensibilities to D-III coaching situations. D-III coaches are rarely fired exclusively over on-field results. There's almost always other factors.

Doesn't matter with regard to defending the decision, does it? Unless Lechnir has done something just spectacular to benefit the school off the field, defending a wrongful termination case should be as simple as citing the program's last 15 years. They could add whatever else they wanted to make sure, but doesn't seem like it would be required.

From 5 championship game appearances (2 wins, 3 losses) over a decade between 1985-1994, to where the program is now, it's not hard to make the case that the program has regressed.

Which begs the question...why did the Titans fall? I'd be interested to hear some answers to that one.