World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 22, 2017, 02:59:58 PM
This is a massive ask for Juve to come up with 3 goals playing like this..

They don't have to -- still group stages.

Mr.Right

Ahh did not realize we are still in the group stage...Just taking a look at the tables it seems there are more than the normal # of groups with teams still alive for the final match of the group,,Will be an interesting final day for most groups in 2 weeks

Gray Fox

Any comments on the WC draw?

Which is the group of death?  and the group of dearth?
Fierce When Roused

wchandy22

Quote from: Gray Fox on December 02, 2017, 04:06:22 PM
Which is the group of death?  and the group of dearth?

I don't think there is a "Group of Death" this year; probably due to the change in the selection process. There are some groups that are interesting but only because the teams are closer in talent. Group D (Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria) may be of most interest. Groups A (Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia) and H (Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan) are others where all four teams must feel they have a real opportunity to advance.
Nature was my kindergarten

blooter442

At 5-0 I think even Liverpool will see the game out from here. Coutinho with the hatty. They are so good going forward at times.

wchandy22

Quote from: blooter442 on December 06, 2017, 03:54:25 PM
At 5-0 I think even Liverpool will see the game out from here. Coutinho with the hatty. They are so good going forward at times.

They are fun to watch. Their 23 goals in the group stage would have been a record if PSG had not scored 25. Still, not too shabby for a team selected from Pot C.
Nature was my kindergarten

Flying Weasel

Liverpool could have used some of those goals today.  Gotta win games like this.  Gotta be ruthless.  Wasn't a PK for Everton, but still . . . need more than one goal out of all that possession and pressure. And the yo-yo between elation and frustration supporting the Reds continues.

jknezek

Not really a good place to put this but... spent a little over 2 hours today taking U.S. Soccer's online Grassroots 4v4 coaching course. The replacement for the E or maybe F license. I can't remember. But I will say that it was surprisingly good for an online course. This is my third season coaching in a very low key church league, my daughter dropped after one season at 7 but my twin boys are on their second season at 6, and I wanted to look into what is recommended these days.

For $25 and a few hours you get a lot of resources and some much more modern techniques and concepts than the old skill drills I learned on. I'd recommend it for volunteer coaches with or without a soccer background to get ideas and outlines for running practices. If my boys stick with it I could see myself doing the other grassroots courses as they grow, even after I'm relegated to parent assistant.

Mr.Right

Who Knew:

Anyone know that Mike Piazza bought an Italian 3rd Division team with apparently some debts and stadium issues. You got everything in this presser...This is hilarious

http://www.whatahowler.com/reggiana-owner-mike-piazza-holds-press-conference-announce-fricken-pissed-off/?utm_content=buffer96023&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This Howler mag is legit though

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on March 12, 2018, 08:32:30 PM
Who Knew:

Anyone know that Mike Piazza bought an Italian 3rd Division team with apparently some debts and stadium issues. You got everything in this presser...This is hilarious

http://www.whatahowler.com/reggiana-owner-mike-piazza-holds-press-conference-announce-fricken-pissed-off/?utm_content=buffer96023&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This Howler mag is legit though

This is amazing. No joke Piazza was my first favorite professional athlete. Way back when I thought I was going to be a professional baseball player (at age 9). Not much love for him up here in New England but dad is a Mets fan originally from NJ and he got me on board early, although I can't say I follow baseball closely anymore. Either way, this is too funny.

Flying Weasel

For some reason couldn't get the video to play at work (firewall?), and forgot to ever try watching at home on my computer until today.  Lifelong Dodger fan here, so I was a huge Piazza fan, even after he left for the Mets.  Did not have any idea that he had bought a soccer club in Italy before this. That was fun watch.  And I don't have much expectation that things are going change to his liking anytime soon. 

Flying Weasel

Wow! . . . just, WOW!  Great day to be a Red!  Couldn't have wished for anything more.  3-goal lead without conceding an away goal.

truenorth

Yes, I was delighted to see this Liverpool performance!  I was streaming the game live on fubo.tv while on a cross country flight, and the reception sucked, but I was able to follow the action for the most part.  If they're able to score even one goal in the rematch at the Etihad, they should be in good shape...but as we know anything can happen...

jknezek

Not a Ronaldo or Real Madrid fan but his bicycle goal the other day was a beautiful bit of soccer and just pure athleticism. Credit where it is due for that one.

blooter442

Quote from: jknezek on April 05, 2018, 09:35:26 AM
Not a Ronaldo or Real Madrid fan but his bicycle goal the other day was a beautiful bit of soccer and just pure athleticism. Credit where it is due for that one.

Agreed. I've not watched a lot of Ronaldo since he left England, so -- prior to watching the game -- based on his move from the wing into the penalty box, I had thought of him as having turned into a goal-hanger. That being said, I saw that, despite playing more centrally, he is much more than just a tap-in merchant -- his movement for the first was top class, as was the finish. The second, however, was unbelievable.