2012 Playoffs: Bracket Reactions & more

Started by K-Mack, November 11, 2012, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pg04

Quote from: cawcdad on November 17, 2012, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: MonroviaCat on November 17, 2012, 07:17:11 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on November 17, 2012, 05:09:57 PM
NCC laying a beat down on CLU.  Linfield is in a dog fight and has struggled moving the ball, 17 pts off of PLU turnovers.  the video feed reallys sucks, too bad because the game is a good one.
For what it's worth--I had no issues with the Cats video feed today (unless you mean the relatively wide angles).  If you were having a bunch of buffering issues then it may have been on your end.  Heck--I had 4 games going at once for a while with virtually no buffering at all....
No buffering problems here. Had two games going and listening to the Linfield audio.
I picked 13 of the 16 games on my bracket. Probably middle of the pack. How did others do?

I am pretty much in last place.  :'(.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: speedybigboy on November 18, 2012, 01:26:49 AM
Oops, didn't read the whole thread before posting.  I'm not even looking to guess what a conference would be without the matchups.  I'd rather just leave them out entirely.  It drags down the good conferences and boosts the not as good ones.  That is if they ever get two teams in that meet.

The 'bad' conferences never meet in the playoffs unless the SCIAC has (and even that year, if any, they must not have been bad), but you are right.  For those who pay attention to percentage (and that is how the listing is arranged), top conferences will be dragged down towards .500 by including in-conference matchups.

(Don't recall that the CCIW has ever had an in-conference knockout, since c. 80% of the losses are to UMU!)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: speedybigboy on November 18, 2012, 01:09:21 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 17, 2012, 06:11:14 PM
One of my favorite charts, updated. Playoff history by conference:

http://www.d3football.com/interactive/faq/playoffs#9
I like it too.  Do you include conference matchups in the playoffs or just leave them out since it has to be 1-1?

Every game is included.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2012, 01:42:35 AM
Quote from: speedybigboy on November 18, 2012, 01:09:21 AM

I like it too.  Do you include conference matchups in the playoffs or just leave them out since it has to be 1-1?

Every game is included.

But if you arrange by percentage, SHOULD they be?  See above post.

AO

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 18, 2012, 01:41:35 AM
Oops, didn't read the whole thread before posting.  I'm not even looking to guess what a conference would be without the matchups.  I'd rather just leave them out entirely.  It drags down the good conferences and boosts the not as good ones.  That is if they ever get two teams in that meet.

The 'bad' conferences never meet in the playoffs unless the SCIAC has (and even that year, if any, they must not have been bad), but you are right.  For those who pay attention to percentage (and that is how the listing is arranged), top conferences will be dragged down towards .500 by including in-conference matchups.

(Don't recall that the CCIW has ever had an in-conference knockout, since c. 80% of the losses are to UMU!)
It may make sense to include the number of in-conference matchups in a separate column, but it's not necessarily dragging a conference's winning pct to include the game in the w/l percentage as both teams could have lost if they hadn't played each other.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AO on November 18, 2012, 01:51:43 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 18, 2012, 01:41:35 AM

It may make sense to include the number of in-conference matchups in a separate column, but it's not necessarily dragging a conference's winning pct to include the game in the w/l percentage as both teams could have lost if they hadn't played each other.

True, but they also could have both won.  It may not be 'dragging' a conference's % towards .500, but it IS taking them that direction (rightly or wrongly). ;D

HScoach

I don't have the time right now to look it up, but the 2nd place OAC team is going to be over .500 if you remove their re-matches against Mount.  Off the top of my head I can come up with OAC losses to Mount in the playoffs:
2006 - Capital lost to Mount in Round 3
2005 - Capital lost to Mount in the Round 3
2002  -  John Carroll  lost to Mount in the SEMI-FINALS
2000  - Ohio Northern lost to Mount in Round 1
1999 - Ohio Northern lost to Mount in Round 2
1997 –  John Carroll lost to Mount in Round 2

OAC losses that I can remember against someone else:
Baldwin Wallace (led by MSU tranfer Dan Larlham at QB) to Wheaton (I think) back in the early 2000's
Otterbein to Franklin a few years ago in a shoot out
Heidelberg yesterday to Wittenberg

I fully realize we're not the WIAC, CCIW, NWC or E-8 when it comes to depth and/or parity, and I know it's hard for the rest of the nation to realize, but the OAC is has been a little bit more than just Mount Union and a bunch of crap teams.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 18, 2012, 12:46:59 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 17, 2012, 08:26:07 PM

Thanks.

We ASC fans look at that 26-20 record and think of all of those first round games in which geographic proximity has thrown two ASC/Texas teams together sooner than their natural seeds would have them play.

The rest of us know to expect that post from you every year. We get it, and everyone on this board gets it.

One thing I note when looking at this chart is that the .500 line is really high up. So even going 1-1 against yourself, as the ASC and NWC did today and as the OAC has on numerous occasions and the MIAC has as well, puts you pretty high on the list.
;)  Just bringing that nuance to the literally hundreds and hundreds of new readers who have logged on this season.

Following the progession in that chart is one of the fun things to follow season to season.

USee

Since HSC brought it up, Elmhurst's appearance in the playoffs means that 7 of 8 CCIW teams have made it to the playoffs since 2000. Only North Park, which hasn't  even won a conference game during that span, has not been to the dance. And of the 7 teams, 6 have won 1st round games. The only first round losses the CCIW has since 2000 is Millikin @ Ohio Northern in 2000 and IWU v Monmouth last year.

That said, the CCIW has a chance to move up the conference rankings this week vs the NWC and MIAC. Both conferences are ranked ahead of the CCIW in D3's conference rankings. It's a great opportunity to see the relative strength.

Playoffs are a fun time.

ncc_fan

Quote from: USee on November 18, 2012, 05:16:33 PM
The only first round losses the CCIW has since 2000 is Millikin @ Ohio Northern in 2000 and IWU v Monmouth last year.

...and Capital @ NCC in 2005   :'(

hazzben

Since HSC brought it up, Elmhurst's appearance in the playoffs means that 7 of 8 CCIW teams have made it to the playoffs since 2000. Only North Park, which hasn't  even won a conference game during that span, has not been to the dance. And of the 7 teams, 6 have won 1st round games.

7 of 8 is an impressive stat and statement about the leagues depth and parity. Especially given how much Wheaton and North Central seem to dominate the headlines in a typical year. Not many other leagues - any ?? - could boast this

speedybigboy

Quote from: hazzben on November 18, 2012, 11:31:00 PM
Since HSC brought it up, Elmhurst's appearance in the playoffs means that 7 of 8 CCIW teams have made it to the playoffs since 2000. Only North Park, which hasn't  even won a conference game during that span, has not been to the dance. And of the 7 teams, 6 have won 1st round games.

7 of 8 is an impressive stat and statement about the leagues depth and parity. Especially given how much Wheaton and North Central seem to dominate the headlines in a typical year. Not many other leagues - any ?? - could boast this
Northwest Conference is only at 4 of 7 since joining d3.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: speedybigboy on November 19, 2012, 12:49:46 AM

And "NWC since joining D3" is basically the same as "CCIW since 2000" since the NWC first became eligible for the D-III football playoffs in 1998.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

desertcat1

Quote from: speedybigboy on November 19, 2012, 12:49:46 AM

Don't forget about  the NWC  has to NCAA  Championships since  1999. also?  :P
" If you are going to be a bear, be a Grizzly"

C.W. Smith

K-Mack

The ODAC has sent H-SC, R-MC, W&L, E&H, Bridgewater and Catholic since 2000. 6 of 7, or 7 of 8 since Shenandoah went in 2004 while a member of the USAC. Guilford is the loner, but was 8-2 in 1997 FWIW.

The MAC or CC would be the other leagues I guess have sent more than half of their teams. Off top:
CC: McDaniel, Susquehanna, Johns Hopkins, Muhlenberg, Dickinson. F&M and Gettysburg have had 7-/8-win seasons but no playoffs that I can recall.
MAC: Lyco, DelVal, Widener, Wilkes, King's, Albright. Lebanon Valley went 9-1 with an OT loss to Albright by 1 and missed. Stevenson and Misericordia don't count. That's seven ... not sure which side Moravian counts on, but it's been a while for them. 1993 maybe.

IIAC has sent five I think. WIAC hasn't sent many, but everyone but UW-RF has had eight-win or better years, I believe, now that Platteville and Oshkosh joined the club this year.

So it's not quite as rare as it seems, when you give it a 12-/13-year span, but it is an interesting accomplishment. I think it says more about parity than strength.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.