MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Whitworth held off Emory and Henry 87-80. Whitworth continues their success at the d3hoops.com tourney. I believe the write up said they were 7-1 all time. T-minus 9 days

blackhawks4

Whitman non conference recap: 10-1.  Of course would like to be 11-0, but that's why they play the games.

Biggest wins were over Wooster #15 & Illinios Wesleyan.  Wooster was bad.  Definitely not a top 25 team.  Illinois Wesleyan was good-ish.  Somewhere #25-35 in my opinion.  They've lost 5, but 4 of those losses are to Stevens Point #12, Whitman #4, Augustana #3, and Wheaton #30ish.   

WMN's loss was in Double OT at Pomona Pitzer, who is VERY good.  Top 15.  PP's only loss this year was @ Wash U--where they travelled across the country, onto the turf of one of the winningest program ever, and lost by 4.  Walking into the lions den. 

Rat "T-9" I'm assuming is when Whitworth gets ther shot at Whitman.  You're counting down days to the big game and i have no idea...MY how times have changed, huh?!

wildcat11

Excited for this weekend at hoops.  I might be singing a different tune after Saturday night but progress of Linfield's program has been great.

89Pirate

T-Minus 4 hours until the 2019 Battle of the Whits Part 1 !

blackhawks4

WW has a good squad this year.

Not much on the defensive end tonight from either team.  Let's just call it good offense?

Really good to see Vickers find his rhythm. It seems like it's been a bit of an adjustment for him, which is understandable fitting in with a new team.  But boy, he can sure play.  Nice to see JoJo Wiggins out there as well. He look good. And how about Darne Duckett?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: 89Pirate on January 08, 2019, 07:04:21 PM
T-Minus 4 hours until the 2019 Battle of the Whits Part 1 !

Why did they decide on that name when "Battle of Whits" is shorter and also a pun?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

(509)Rat

I fell asleep in the second half...but the teams looked evenly matched with Whitman having an obvious advantage in terms of depth. I think WW's defense looked bad at times because of Whitman's athleticism. I think Whitman looked bad at times because, well, that's what happens to them when you go for broke on the press and don't get turnovers. I'm not sure the refs helped either, since I didn't catch the last 8-9 minutes, but I could see either team backing off a little to avoid the free throw competition that broke out in the first half. They both are good at putting the basketball into the hoop as well which makes defenses look worse.

Looks like we'll get a repeat of last year in terms of Whitman sweeping the matchup in conference play and the tournament championship game being in Walla Walla. Assuming Linfield doesn't crash the party. Linfield has their chance to make some noise in the NWC this weekend when they get Whitworth at home on Saturday, which will be the Pirates 3rd game in 5 days. I think the Wildcats have the talent to play with Whitman at home (Friday), but I'd be shocked if they won.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I talked to Logie today - he said this week is definitely their most difficult stretch of the season.

Overall, I was really impressed with Whitworth.  They overcame the foul issues pretty well and bench played great, I thought.  Whitman wasn't very good in the first half and I don't think that was particularly because of anything Whitworth did.  I also thought there were a couple moments in the second half, where Whitman could've broken things open a bit.  Whitworth showed a lot of discipline and determination to keep it close.

I do think Linfield can spoil the party a bit.  They'll need to beat a Whit or two, but they are capable of getting a Pool C bid and forcing the committee to send the conference tournament championship loser to another bracket first weekend.

It was a bit of a sloppy game, but early January and the first meeting, that makes sense.  The next one should be better.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

D O.C.

I'll accept a little LINFIELD props.

blackhawks4

Good night for NWC action. Battle in McMinville between the two top teams in the conference tonight. And Whitworth looks to knock off #3 George Fox 

blackhawks4

If Fox takes care of biz at home, a PLU win will slide the Lutes into the 4th, so could shake things up.

D O.C.

Whitman went into Wilson Gym on a mission(ary).
They were confident, rebounded offensively, handled the ball well, and played great team defense. And I'm referencing the LINFIELD teams when I was there. The roles have reversed. LINFIELD looked hapless at times, though game, just like Whitman USED to be.
I suppose there's always tomorrow night.

wildcat11

Quote from: blackhawks4 on January 11, 2019, 08:03:37 PM
Good night for NWC action. Battle in McMinville between the two top teams in the conference tonight. And Whitworth looks to knock off #3 George Fox

Whitman just took it to my 'Cats tonight. Their unrelenting pressure is impressive.  Thought the 'Cats were too passive but give credit where it's due....the Blues are damn good.

catjumper

Three observations from Friday night:
1) Linfield is pretty good.
2) Whitman is very, VERY good.
3) In a reference only 'Cats of a certain vintage will understand, Jim D'Aboy would have positively shredded Eric Bridgeland - particularly in Riley Gym.