MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyhoopstalk

Interesting to see the different point of view of the Centennial coaches and the national poll voters. Swarthmore is ranked #1 in the country; yet a team not even receiving votes in the national poll (Johns Hopkins) receives 1st place votes in their very own conference. Judging by Hopkins' performance against Division 1 Loyola, you must think the Centennial coaches have a good idea how good both teams can be this year.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: nyhoopstalk on November 05, 2019, 08:50:34 AM
Interesting to see the different point of view of the Centennial coaches and the national poll voters. Swarthmore is ranked #1 in the country; yet a team not even receiving votes in the national poll (Johns Hopkins) receives 1st place votes in their very own conference. Judging by Hopkins' performance against Division 1 Loyola, you must think the Centennial coaches have a good idea how good both teams can be this year.

Centennial lets more than just coaches vote (is it the SIDs, also?) - so all the coaches might've voted for Swat.  We just don't know.

That being said, JHU has a great coach and a terrific system in place - they've reached a point where it doesn't matter what they lose, they'll always be in the mix.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

r.w. mcnickels

Congratulations to Coach Robinson on his retirement! Shocking that it comes so close to the season beginning, but it sounds like the right move for him and his family.

https://www.godiplomats.com/sports/m-baskbl/2019-20/releases/20191104v3nw9h

D.B. Cooper

I'll give a few snapshot great memories that highlight GRobs legendary tenure.

1. Victory over Jersey City State in 1979 to go to 1st Final Four with Donny Marsh against North Park legendary team.

2. 1991 when Dips lost to UW Platteville in tough Final Championship game. After winning semifinal by 50+ when said to be an underdog, and having about a 25-0 unanswered run to get to Final.

3. 1996 E8 game vs, Wilkes with both teams something like 28 and 1. Dips won to go to Salem.

4, 2008-9 run to Final 4 when the great Georgio Milligan came aboard a young team as a freshman and led Dips to Robinsons last (5th) Final 4.

Plus too many other exciting moments to mention over my 40+ years as an alum and fan.

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: r.w. mcnickels on November 05, 2019, 10:16:51 AM
Congratulations to Coach Robinson on his retirement! Shocking that it comes so close to the season beginning, but it sounds like the right move for him and his family.

https://www.godiplomats.com/sports/m-baskbl/2019-20/releases/20191104v3nw9h

Wow - Not only is this shocking, but the timing is really head-scratching. One of the all time greats and just a good guy. I hope his health is ok. I wrote him a note a year or two ago hoping his health improved and that the league wasn't the same without him. To my surprise, I got a really nice long note back from him. Enjoy retirement coach (at least from basketball). You have earned it.

hopefan

With the postponing of the F&M - York season opener, hoping that it has nothing to do with Coach Robinson's health... I saw nothing but the postponement statement on the F&M site....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Warriors

Quote from: hopefan on November 09, 2019, 08:21:33 AM
With the postponing of the F&M - York season opener, hoping that it has nothing to do with Coach Robinson's health... I saw nothing but the postponement statement on the F&M site....

Did not see that.  Seems very unusual...no other insight from anyone?

Warriors

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Warriors on November 09, 2019, 08:27:02 AM
Student protest of offensive Halloween costumes forced shut down.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/11/student-protest-forces-postponement-of-basketball-game-at-franklin-and-marshall-college.html

You can't make this stuff up.

There is a clip on the internet of the protest leader making a statement on the court. Surreal.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

CNU85

If anyone is watching JHU v CNU and  has access to radio guys, let them know Urbach is a transfer from JMU.

Hank Mardukas

Who is to Blame?

I have just been notified by Franklin & Mashall Alumni '04 Jackiem Wright (2nd in scoring that season) about the protest which prohibited the game from taking place. I want to go on record that (1) I am a giant advocate of peaceful protest and (2) I am NOT a fan of racism nor any hate speach. Having said that, my close and personal friend "reserved seat" left his vacation on the sunny shores of Sea Island Georgia early to catch the home opener. It's not fair to the fans and players who sacrifice so much to attend and play in the game.

Solution: Once again Hank a person of superior intellect has the answer. I will personally reach out to each school and talk to the dean of students to put this plan into action. It is my belief that if people want to protest they have to notify me a bare minimum of 24 hours before the game starts.

Example: Caroline and Kevin from McDaniel want to protest on the basis of inappropriate rhetoric which was said at a gathering of friends during a sporting event which she is in her constitutional right to do. She notifies me that she is planning a peaceful protest when the Fords come to town. My compromise is Caroline and Kevin have the right to protest during layup lines and half time. During the game they can protest as long as the ball is on the opposite side of the court. This was everybody still has their first amendment right and I can watch Mike Rice Jr. go for 30!

God Speed-

Hank
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The season is underway, so it is about time we get Hoopsville on the air.

Most Division III basketball teams have finally tipped up their first games. That means there is plenty to talk about on Hoopsville!

Sunday, Dave debuts the show for its 17th season live in studio - with plenty of changes in the offseason. We chat about the changes not only in studio, but around the game. Plus, we talk to the preseason D3hoops.com No. 1 teams - Amherst and Swarthmore.

And what do some of the gurus of D3 basketball think about the start so far and the season ahead? Bob Quillman and Ryan Scott join Dave for the first Top 25 Double-Take.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Sunday's show LIVE here: www.d3hoopsville.com.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- G.P. Gromacki, No. 1 Amherst women's head coach
- Landry Kosmalski, No. 1 Swarthmore men's head coach
- Bob Quillman & Ryan Scott, Top 25 Double-Take

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It might be early in the 2019-20 season, but there are already big games being played, surprising results, and teams off to tremendous starts. It isn't even Thanksgiving ... yet.

We start prepping for the big day of Turkey by stuffing ourselves full of DIII basketball topics on Thursday's show. We talk retirement and coaching changes (since we didn't really talk about that Sunday), plus several teams have caught our attention for how they have started their campaigns.

On Thursday night's show, Dave chats with NYU women who are undefeated and defeated Stevens in their last time on the court. We also chat with Carthage men who knocked off the defending national champions recently. Plus, the dean of Division III coaching decided days before the season began to hang up the jacket. F&M's Glenn Robinson talks about why he decided to retire within distance of 1,000 wins.

And what should we expect on the women's side of things this season. D3hoops.com Senior Editor Gordon Mann joins the show to take a deep dive into the Top 25 and things he has seen in the first two weeks of the season.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch Thursday's show LIVE in the video player above starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. An audio-only podcast will also be available on the right side of the page shortly after the show is off the air.

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Bosko Djurickovic, Carthage men's coach
- Glenn Robinson, former F&M men's coach
- Meg Barber, NYU women's head coach
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on iHeartRadio and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hank Mardukas

Mules Point Guard Matt Ganias suspended for 2games for "juuling on team bus". Not sure what that means if anybody can decipher that would be great.
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

Rofrog