MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swat Fan #1

Fantastic game between two top programs and top coaches. It was a nail biter right up until the final whistle. Coach F had his team ready to play Swat. The game was incredibly intense and fun to watch. Swat's new press breaker is fun to watch. Catch it if you can sometime. Nice way to start the year.

noonhooper

What a first night back into conference play! I would love to hear some thoughts on the Bears/Bullets (Battlestar Galactica) game. Looks like the Bullets came out gunning (fun with puns!) and Ursinus responded too late to get back into it. Rest of the league shook out as expected- if you can count Haverford being 5-0 as expected.

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: noonhooper on January 10, 2020, 03:47:53 PM
What a first night back into conference play! I would love to hear some thoughts on the Bears/Bullets (Battlestar Galactica) game. Looks like the Bullets came out gunning (fun with puns!) and Ursinus responded too late to get back into it. Rest of the league shook out as expected- if you can count Haverford being 5-0 as expected.

Honestly thought Ursinus would win that game, so a little surprised that Gettysburg got up by as much as they did. Young team that's buying into a second year head coaches program and it's clearly working out. I still think Ursinus is fine, and they have the talent to string together a bunch of wins.

As for Haverford....yeah, 5-0 is a surprise for sure. I thought they would take a step back after Scibelli graduated, but the exact opposite has happened.

Also, Dickinson......man, how things have changed in Carlisle in a short time
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

centfan

swat was a surprise after a coaching change and at haverford it seems like a similar thing is happening. it takes a couple of years to establish a culture/way of playing. congrats to Coach Doherty and the Fords!!! it is nice to see swat and the fords at the top of the league for now.

Reserved Seat

Swarthmore better watch out, if they keep winning too much the college will drop the sport like they did with football.   ;D

Swat Fan #1

Quote from: Reserved Seat on January 14, 2020, 09:44:36 AM
Swarthmore better watch out, if they keep winning too much the college will drop the sport like they did with football.   ;D

Now that made me laugh. Well done! You win the internet today!

centfan

Swat is clearly the favorite tonight, particularly at home, but it will be interesting to see how the Fords do. Both teams share the ball, have great scoring distribution among the players, have good shot selection and play together without too much reliance on one or two players. Hopefully it will be a good game between two teams that were known to be in the lower part of the conference before Coach Kosmalski and Coach Doherty were hired.

centfan

swat handled haverford quite easily. lots of lessons for haverford in the loss. swat shot very well, shared the ball, pretty tough in the paint. very good energy and confidence.

noonhooper

Anyone have any guesses for tonight's round of games?

Hopkins over McD
Mules over Devils
Swat over Wash
Those seem rather easy to predict, I never thought I'd see the day when McDaniel tried to slow the pace of a game against Swarthmore, they used to get DUDES up in Westminster. Curley still has them playing hard but they just dont have the edge they used to. And I feel a little badly for Seretti, he had a great squad for a long time then had chances to leave but decided to stay and now admissions is really holding them back (I believe). I think Swat will win but the midweek trek down to play at Washington is always tricky. Thats a long bus ride to play in a tough environment, so be ready for some bumpy moments early?

Bullets and Dips is such a strange game, both teams seem pretty up and down. But since Gburg won by 12 on the road I am going to go with... The Dips! Because picking upsets is fun.

Haverford at Ursinus is going to be fun. Every year the Bears have a five or six-game run where they win and everyone says "here we go! Bears are real!" This is the time- win this game and they have a chance for a nice run heading into the late season. I don't think the Bears should be considered a contender but I know people are going to be jumping on the bandwagon if they win tonight!

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: noonhooper on January 29, 2020, 03:07:12 PM
Anyone have any guesses for tonight's round of games?

Hopkins over McD
Mules over Devils
Swat over Wash
Those seem rather easy to predict, I never thought I'd see the day when McDaniel tried to slow the pace of a game against Swarthmore, they used to get DUDES up in Westminster. Curley still has them playing hard but they just dont have the edge they used to. And I feel a little badly for Seretti, he had a great squad for a long time then had chances to leave but decided to stay and now admissions is really holding them back (I believe). I think Swat will win but the midweek trek down to play at Washington is always tricky. Thats a long bus ride to play in a tough environment, so be ready for some bumpy moments early?

Bullets and Dips is such a strange game, both teams seem pretty up and down. But since Gburg won by 12 on the road I am going to go with... The Dips! Because picking upsets is fun.

Haverford at Ursinus is going to be fun. Every year the Bears have a five or six-game run where they win and everyone says "here we go! Bears are real!" This is the time- win this game and they have a chance for a nice run heading into the late season. I don't think the Bears should be considered a contender but I know people are going to be jumping on the bandwagon if they win tonight!

Johns Hopkins should roll. McDaniel, like you said, they play hard but they just don't seem to have the horses.

Muhlenberg should win, but Bryce Allen is back and at full strength for Dickinson and that kid is an absolute game changer. Red Devils will be better as a whole the second half of the year, strictly because of him.

Gettysburg seems to be a much better home team, plus the win over F&M earlier in the season I think gives them the confidence to go through and win tonight, but that should be close.

Haverford and Ursinus, well, depends on which Ursinus team shows up, the one with all the shooters or the one that looks incredibly average? My gut says Haverford but should be close either way.

Lastly, Swarthmore should win tonight, BUT, Washington led for the first 28-30 minutes or so the first time these teams played before Thanksgiving, and WAC is playing a lot better ball now than they were back then. But, Swat couldn't hit a shot to save their lives that night either. If the Garnet have even an average shooting night, that's better than most teams. My gut says the Garnet, but don't be surprised if this game is a little bit closer than expected. Nothing more than a gut feeling on that one. If WAC can hit some shots, they've got a chance. But if the struggle from the floor, watch out.
Broadcaster. Writer. Analyst. Fan. Voter. Centennial Conference focus, with an eye on D3 as a whole. D3 Basketball runs my life for over a quarter of the year and I have no problems with that. My wife feels differently about that last part.

noonhooper

Well CCD3, you got me. But I think we both had a decent handle on the day's results.

I didn't realize that Bryce Allen had been out, he will definitely make Dickinson more competitive. When he and Hinckley were the guard duo that was a tough combo to beat.

Only thought on the Swat game is that refs are so inconsistent on verticality calls. I like the way WC plays, some of their off-ball cuts are really nice to open passing or driving lanes but when the guards go up into the air contact doesnt always have to be a foul. Washington's guards should try to negate height disadvantage with their speed, not with high school reffing.

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: noonhooper on January 30, 2020, 01:24:31 PM
Well CCD3, you got me. But I think we both had a decent handle on the day's results.

I didn't realize that Bryce Allen had been out, he will definitely make Dickinson more competitive. When he and Hinckley were the guard duo that was a tough combo to beat.

Only thought on the Swat game is that refs are so inconsistent on verticality calls. I like the way WC plays, some of their off-ball cuts are really nice to open passing or driving lanes but when the guards go up into the air contact doesnt always have to be a foul. Washington's guards should try to negate height disadvantage with their speed, not with high school reffing.

Yeah, I agree. Looking at the stream of that game, both head coaches were hot with the refs and both actually got warned for being out of the coaches box, something that very rarely gets called. The game also played out virtually the same as the first meeting, WAC had a halftime lead, still led by 6 close to halfway through the second half, then Swat had basically one big run that swung the game.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

While you may not think being out of the coach's box is called .. as one who sits at many a scorer's table for basketball, it is a popular topic on the floor. Coaches are warned and sometimes a ref won't even start a conversation with a coach until he has backed himself up.

They won't call anything more than even a formal warning unless (a) the coach is flat out ignoring them and even moving further out of the box while being warned or (b) the coach is begging for something more and draws the attention of an official because they came out of the box.

They made the box bigger two years ago for a reason. Their reason was to allow coaches to communicate better to players on the far end of the floor especially in loud environments. I think they did it to keep coaches from getting in too much trouble because refs had had enough of them leaving the boxes.

Or maybe a combination ...
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

noonhooper

In my experience being warned for a coach's box violation seems like a ref saying "I dont want to give you a T but I am tired of hearing from you" or "OK I blew a call, but I dont want to hear any more about it"  ;D ;D

CCD3Basketball

Quote from: noonhooper on February 02, 2020, 11:48:16 PM
In my experience being warned for a coach's box violation seems like a ref saying "I dont want to give you a T but I am tired of hearing from you" or "OK I blew a call, but I dont want to hear any more about it"  ;D ;D

Sounds about right!