MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoops Fan

I don't know any more about Tucker, or where he went.

I did get confirmation on the basketball playoff structure.

It's a normal 8 team tourney, 1-8, 2-7, 3-6 ,4-5, etc

hoops573

So anyone got any opinions on what's going to happen second semester?  Surprise teams, etc, etc.?

Coach Kurt

I have you rsurprise team, baby!  Lets go riv.  Miller is coming back and will surprise the conference with a new found jump shot.  He is healthy and should be really fired up due to the injury and surgery that kept him out for the whole first semester.  It's Miller Time for sure!

goldenpipes

I don't think there's going to be a whole lot of surprises in the second half. The GNAC is wide open this year so there's not many teams left to provide shock value. Norwich, JW, Emerson, WNEC, Emmanuel, Suffolk, and maybe SVC should battle hard all semester for the 1-7 slots and should get into the tournament. Most teams in the GNAC either won important non-conference games or were very close to beating some of the top teams in New England.  

The upsets might come from the 7 or 8 seeds- two of the three remaining teams will qualify out of  DWC, Riv, and Albertus but historically the 7 and 8 seeds have been quickly dispatched in the tourney and I don't think any of these teams have a chance to upset the 1 or 2 seeds, but that's why they call them upsets!

Can someone talk about SVC? How the heck are they 0-9?  They've had close games with Williams and Keene but also lost to RPI, Curry, and Cazenovia. No rhyme or reason to that...

They might get rolling in the second half...hard to believe they've fallen so far so fast after being at the top for the last two seasons. I know they have a new coach and lost some players from last year- maybe someone from SVC can give more info.

It should be an entertaining season with a lot of close games- it's been that way so far and I don't see much changing.

Anne A

Not so sure what is going on up in Bennington. I havent been able to get to a game yet. Looking at the roster it seems to be a fairly young team with a lot of new faces and there are some guys from last years team who are still there. They have a new coach, so I think this is just going to be a rebuilding year for them. I would love to see them win a few, and get some momentum going. Seems like they have some close ones and then it just gets away...

goldenpipes

OK, thanks Anne...I look forward to hearing more from you once you can see them live. I'll be at Norwich-Emerson tonight @ Pine Manor, 7PM.

Should be a good one. It'd be a big roadie for the Cadets and the Lions need to home serve.  

The Cadets already played recently, dropping a tough 69-66 game at J & W. This is the Lions 1st game of the semester.

The league really needs to start everyone off at the same time for a sense of fair play. It's not right that teams get an advantage of getting games under theie belt while others wait.

Titan3

new as a GNAC fan this year.  Have been following the conference for a year or so, and agree that it's a toss-up for an outright powerhouse this season.  Last year J&W and So. Vt. were 1-2 but have lost some key players/coaches.  Look to the Cadets of Norwich possibly, waiting in the wings to make a move.  Are 4-1 now with a tough loss to J&W.  J&W got hot second half with 8 out of 9 3's and won by 3.  Some good incoming freshmen, with some veterans could have Norwich as the team to beat!

goldenpipes

Emerson 57, WNEC 46 @ WNEC...any more details on this one?

Sounds like the Lions played some great D.

hoops573

Rivier over #1 Johnson & Whales

hoops573

Rivier Smacks Southern Vermont

Titan3

Is there a reason there is material on this GNAC site that dates back to November?  It would seem to delete itself after 2-3 months. Or can I delete some of it off myself.  It would be nice to see some people comment about the current standings of their school.  The conference still has students and graduates that follow hoops. What else is there to follow in the winter?  

GNAC fan1

Emmanuel vs. Emerson.... Who will win? Does anybody know if these teams are good?

Hoops Fan

Emerson is playing very well this year.  I am suprised to see them at the place they are after losing Robert Hennigan, probably the best ballplayer the GNAC will ever see.  It takes a lot for a team to make up for a graduation like that and they have done very well.  Norwich seems to be on their level with Emmanuel and a few others a couple steps back.

GNAC fan1

I had a chance to see Emmanuel play and they do not seem to be the power house as predicted in the beginning of the season. They have very very very soft post players that can be manhandled and are in need of a ponit guard. No problem for Emerson tonight! Take my word!

hoopfan#1

I agree, Emmanuel is horrible, Emerson will blow them out 2night.  Their point guard is average and their post players foul alot.  I do not even see emmanuel making the playoffs.  I heard they have a new player, but he shouldn't make a difference.