Potential Playoff Selections / Seedings

Started by HScoach, October 26, 2008, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 12, 2008, 08:19:27 PM
I can imagine CWRU being moved to the East and getting a first round home game.  I think that there is something to be said for an undefeated team, especially if we can move Thomas More to the north and we have  teams from the South.

Muhlenberg
Millsaps
UMHB
HSU Pool C
CNU/Ferrum
Catholic/ODAC
Wesley  Pool B
LaGrange/Huntingdon  Pool B

Or, as Frank Rossi suggested, "Catholic Pool A, HSC Pool C".  This means we need to move Muhlenberg to the East as well.

East

Cortland losing to Ithaca NJAC Pool A
SJF E8 Pool A
Ithaca -- beating Cortland Pool C
Montclair St   Pool C
Hobart LL Pool A
NEFC Pool A
Muhlenberg  -- Moved in
CWRU -- Moved in

Need a MAC rep....

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: TigerOldSchool on November 12, 2008, 08:10:19 PM
From the great pool C analysis (post 138) it does look like the west will have 7 (if form holds and Northwestern Mn is not in), which lends to the NCC to west discussion.  Since Redlands is really the last pool c legit option and on the outside looking in, a trip to northern Ill is probably in the cards for a west team.  At least this should help with some of the other logjams.

IF Redlands doesn't get in, a west coast team to Naperville would still mean two flights (and a 2 or 3 having to travel first round).  But you did give me an idea - how about NCC as #1, WU as #2, Oxy as #3, and fly two teams to the coast?  Then, if WU and Oxy win, 2nd round is the natural pairing of 2 vs. 3 anyway.  (I believe all other teams to Naperville avoid flights?)  If the current West rankings hold up, yet Oxy flies to WU, we will know that economics ABSOLUTELY trumps seeds.  (We've seen it before, but has a 2 ever had to go on the road to a 1 in the first round?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Upstate on November 12, 2008, 08:25:05 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 12, 2008, 08:19:27 PM
I can imagine CWRU being moved to the East and getting a first round home game.  I think that there is something to be said for an undefeated team, especially if we can move Thomas More to the north and we have  teams from the South.

Muhlenberg
Millsaps
UMHB
HSU Pool C
CNU/Ferrum
Catholic/ODAC
Wesley  Pool B
LaGrange/Huntingdon  Pool B

Or, as Frank Rossi suggested, "Catholic Pool A, HSC Pool C".  This means we need to move Muhlenberg to the East as well.

East

Cortland losing to Ithaca NJAC Pool A
SJF E8 Pool A
Ithaca -- beating Cortland Pool C
Montclair St   Pool C
Hobart LL Pool A
NEFC Pool A
Muhlenberg  -- Moved in
CWRU -- Moved in

Need a MAC rep....
Thanks!  +1!

Starting over!   :-\

Move CWRU or Muhlenberg out.

old ends

If they stick with the 250 mile rule, MUC is a stretch from NJ and PA teams east of I-81. It is about 305 miles across PA alone. Although if they stretch it how far are the going to go. After all the same thing could happen in other regions.

wesleydad

old, made the trip to lake erie this past weekend and it was less than 500 from philly.  not sure where muc is, but how far from lake erie is it?

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: old ends on November 12, 2008, 08:30:53 PM
If they stick with the 250 mile rule, MUC is a stretch from NJ and PA teams east of I-81. It is about 305 miles across PA alone. Although if they stretch it how far are the going to go. After all the same thing could happen in other regions.

Its more than 250miles for NCAA games...

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: old ends on November 12, 2008, 08:30:53 PM

Is there a 250 mile rule I'm not familiar with?  It's 500 miles before the NCAA pays for a plane - that (and the 200 mile rule for in-region) are the only mileage rules I've heard of.

old ends

GOt it I must have been thinking of something else.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 12, 2008, 08:27:41 PM
From the great pool C analysis (post 138) it does look like the west will have 7 (if form holds and Northwestern Mn is not in), which lends to the NCC to west discussion.  Since Redlands is really the last pool c legit option and on the outside looking in, a trip to northern Ill is probably in the cards for a west team.  At least this should help with some of the other logjams.

IF Redlands doesn't get in, a west coast team to Naperville would still mean two flights (and a 2 or 3 having to travel first round).  But you did give me an idea - how about NCC as #1, WU as #2, Oxy as #3, and fly two teams to the coast?  Then, if WU and Oxy win, 2nd round is the natural pairing of 2 vs. 3 anyway.  (I believe all other teams to Naperville avoid flights?)  If the current West rankings hold up, yet Oxy flies to WU, we will know that economics ABSOLUTELY trumps seeds.  (We've seen it before, but has a 2 ever had to go on the road to a 1 in the first round?
In the "Texas Sub-Bracket" in 2002, #3 UMHB went to #2 Trinity.

2002 Bracket

#3 UMHB went to #1 Trinity in the first round in 2005

2005 Bracket

IN 2006 #3 HSU went to #2 UMHB

2006 Bracket

PA_wesleyfan

old ends

I would guess they use rt 80 which takes them closer to the NY. I am not as familiar with the roads in western PA into Ny by way of Erie? The E8 crowd would probably know more about that.

Ralph

If things stand as they are it looks like the Lagrange/Huntingdon winner would go to Texas. Matching Wesley with Muhlenberg or with the USAC winner at Wesley.

Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

KitchenSink

I'm thinking the NCAA would like to insert Huntington into the field so they can have 4 more or less "Deep South" teams - M H Baylor, Hardin Simmons, Millsaps and Huntington.

HS to Millsaps and Hunt to MHB.  It's close but I think they both make the 500 mile cutoff.  Only 3 makes it a plane ride for someone ...
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 12, 2008, 08:41:17 PM

In the "Texas Sub-Bracket" in 2002, #3 UMHB went to #2 Trinity.

2002 Bracket

#3 UMHB went to #1 Trinity in the first round in 2005

2005 Bracket

IN 2006 #3 HSU went to #2 UMHB

2006 Bracket

Yeah, I had in mind both Texas and the 'left coast', and knew there had been some egregious 'bending' of seeds due to geography.  But a #2 going to a #1 would apparently be a first.  I'm offering them a way out with only one extra plane ride. ;D

Ralph Turner

Yeah,  I think that Willamette hosting a weak seed and a #5 Redlands at #3/2 Oxy might cover the West Region.

I think that the SCIAC wouldn't mind it too much.

Then Oxy/Redlands or Willamette/weak seed could fly to the higher seed.

I have thought that Redlands is the 6th Pool C.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: KitchenSink on November 12, 2008, 08:53:06 PM
I'm thinking the NCAA would like to insert Huntington into the field so they can have 4 more or less "Deep South" teams - M H Baylor, Hardin Simmons, Millsaps and Huntington.

HS to Millsaps and Hunt to MHB.  It's close but I think they both make the 500 mile cutoff.  Only 3 makes it a plane ride for someone ...

Huntingdon/LaGrange to Millsaps is a bus ride.

HSU at UMHB is a bus ride.

UMHB to Millsaps is a bus ride. (HSU to Millsaps is not.)

TigerOldSchool

Ypsi, I was thinking more like a "west" team being Wartburg as the 8 seed to NCC which would not require a 2nd flight.  I like your thinking though.
Football is just the warm up.  Oxy is a rugby school anyway.