MBB: Commonwealth Conference

Started by Warren Thompson, March 16, 2005, 05:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

I think it was through this summit that the world first found out Wilkes was getting a transfer from The College of Charleston.
Somewhere on the Wilkes campus stands a dorm with the light left on for this wandering soul.
Rumor has it that when the light is just right, you can still see him hitchhiking on Rt. 81 N, just outside of Winchester, Va.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

For those not commenting or completely missing it... four-way tie for second amongst teams who have already qualified for the playoffs. None of those four are playing each other in the final game of the season. They are all playing the bottom four with so many tie-breaker possibilities in play. It is obviously very important to figure out where you sit in the seedings for home court advantage... and they all play at 3pm. Buckle up!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

kate

Credit where credit is due, shout out to the Alvernia Crusaders - great game with CUA, losing by just 7!  You were doing that with 8 guys!  Miss Alvernia on our side of the MAC.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Tom Dickman at Hood has stepped down as head coach, but will stay on as AD.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

And as quickly as the job "opened" ... it closes. Chad Dickman, Tom's son, has been named the new head coach at Hood.

CCHoopster

This Commonwealth board is lame! For having some strong teams with solid rivalries and traditions, I would think this board could get some more key strokes!

Ok: Early conference prediction. Obviously transfers (which some of the schools in the league live on) and recruits are all relatively unknown in full until rosters are posted. So this can change the below. But to kill time at work :) here we go:

1- Stevenson- Finishing regular season #1 or #2 has become habit. Along with not being able to do the same in the playoffs. They just have too much talent and with the transfers they added, they go here, for now. Ineligibility could bite them again this year early.
2- Lycoming- Lose Covington and Dougher but return everyone else from a good team that finished #1 last year. They may not skip a beat with their losses of Covington/Dougher.
3- Messiah- Lost 2 players, Fernandez and Hoy. Two enormous losses. But return 3 starters and the rest of their roster. They won't be denied playoffs back to back years. Rumbling of a D1 transfer in the house for the Falcons too. Who plays PG? SHould have best front court in the league at 6'7-6'8.
4- Albright- They were young and showed tremendous life at times last year. Have a great 1/2 punch with Dejour Smith and Omari Ringold- maybe the best wing duo in the league?If Gantz is back and they fill the PG spot, they could compete for a home playoff game.
5- LVC- Playoff drought is starting to gain momentum. This is the year they can make a return to postseason play. They will be very young. The loss of Agnew is big but the transfer Sam Light from Millersville is a better player than Agnew. The Light/Eudy duo will be big. They need to some pieces to step up!
6- Alvernia- Well, they only played 5 maybe 6 guys the past two years. That could hurt them this year. No depth/experience outside of Cooper (maybe Miller). No size but did get a very good D1 or D2 transfer PG.
7- Hood- New coach, lost key pieces. Not sure how to rank them but this seems fair.
8- Widener- Lost 14 in a row to end the season. That has become a habit for the Pride.
9- Arcadia- Lost a ton and the cupboards bare. Best freshman from last year Mayberry transferred to Stevenson.

Thoughts?

Mid-Atlantic Fan

I'd go with this:

1. Lycoming
2. Stevenson
3. Albright
4. LVC
5. Alvernia
6. Messiah
7. Arcadia
8. Hood
9. Widener

Shooter McGavin

Preseason Poll came out today. It goes as follows:

2015-16 MAC Commonwealth Men's Basketball Preseason Poll

Rank-Team-Points-1st Place Votes

1. Stevenson- 60- 4
2. Lycoming- 58- 3
3. Albright- 46- 2         
4. Alvernia- 42
5. LVC- 35
6. Messiah- 29
7. Widener- 24
8. Hood- 16
9. Arcadia- 15

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Stevenson is off to an 0-2 start with losses at home to York and Goucher (87-76 tonight). Not pretty. I was at most of tonight's game (watched the end on the way home) and they had moments where they were on the same page and others when it was in complete disarray. They are missing some pieces I thought would be back - not sure why not as I don't ask.

The tough part: Dickinson and Emory this weekend in the Hoopsville Classic and then the Mustangs don't have a home game until January 2.

Really surprising start.

CCHoopster

This is what happens when you rely on transfers to replace graduation. If you strike out, you really strike out. They have two guys, Roberts and Fisher.... The rest are average (not a knock) players who thrived when surrounded by older, highly talented/athletic transfers...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well, knowing Gary Stewart, I don't know how much he really relies on transfers... though, he has had a few that have contributed. I assumed Sean Farr would be back this season. I finally asked today where he was... didn't realize he had a family and is playing semi-pro ball in the area now.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hoopsville is on the air NOW!

We aren't even a week into the new season and there is already plenty to talk about. Thursday night on Hoopsville, Dave talks to the new women's basketball committee chair, previews a rare D1 at D3 game, takes a look at the 4th Annual Hoopsville National Invitational Classic at Stevenson University, plus much more in an extended edition of the show.

Guests include:
- Keri Carollo, UW-Whitewater Head Coach and NCAA Women's Basketball Committee Chair
- Joe Cassidy, Rowan men
- John Giannini, La Salle men and former Rowan coach
- Gary Stewart, Stevenson men
- Ryan Scott, D3hoops.com Mid-Atlantic columnist

Tune in here: www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2015-16/nov19

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
SoundCloud (podcast): www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

AND our podcast as been approved for iTunes!!! You should be able to find it... but here is a link, just in case: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Shooter McGavin

Lycoming has to be the favorite to win the MAC at this point in the season. Stevenson, Messiah and Alvernia all under performing thus far. Leb Val quietly off to a good start.

john23

Hi all, I've been a reader for a while but never made an account to post anything.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on with Bolen from Hood? Was having a pretty good start to the year but it looks like he got hurt early on against Albright and it didn't look like he was on the bench in their win over Widener on Saturday. Could be a pretty big blow for them if he's out for a significant amount of time, considering their replacements so far this year have seemed to be shaky at best. It'll be interesting to see if Ruiz and Hill can continue to make up for the loss offensively, but Hopefully they can get him back soon because they were looking good after their 4-0 start.

Just a side note, is there any reason why they don't play their two bigs(Wegener and Casey) together? I'm not really sure why a team that has trouble rebounding the ball would want to avoid having 6'8 and 6'6 on the floor at the same time, especially with the lackluster production they've been getting out of the rest of their bench to start the year. With Bolen out, or even to give guys a blow when he's back, they could have a back line on their zone of Wegener Casey and Magnuski, which are three of the longer and better rebounders in the conference. I'm not sure how that would work out offensively for them, but Wegener is a force inside and having the two of them together would certainly create matchup problems for everyone but Messiah and force teams to go zone and open things up for their stable of shooters from outside. Add onto that the offensive rebounding that you'll get from the way They both crash the glass and it just seems like it may not be out of the question to say that Hood is the favorite in the conference if everything comes together, but starting 3 freshmen(not that they don't need Wegener and Ruiz in there) may be a self-fulfilling prophecy for them. But it  doesn't really make sense to have Casey playing 14 minutes a game considering their needs and what  they're getting from the other guys they're playing off the bench and in place of Bolen. I'm not really sure how it would affect them logistically at this point, but it's a pretty big indictment of their new coach if he can't figure out a way to get them playing together.
The only reasons I could think of are maybe they don't want to move Wegener or Casey out of the middle of their zone, but Caseys looked pretty aggressive and mobile defensively in the few Hood games I've seen so far this year and I doubt that would be a problem, especially since they had Brown out there last year. Unless they're trying to limit his minutes early on in the year. I noticed he's been wearing a wrap on his left leg, so that may have something to do with it.