FB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by Ron Boerger, October 25, 2011, 02:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SagatagSam and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

HScoach

^  The only thing that might make his prediction of 10 points accurate is that Mount might be playing without the highest rated QB in D3 throwing to a stellar receiving corps.  Or at best playing with a hobbled QB.   If Fulford was healthy this would be a 30 point line.  Easy.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Ron Boerger on November 19, 2018, 03:56:57 PM

Silence_Is_Golden (‏@martin_r_taylor)

Mt. Union vs Centre will likely be a lot closer than most think.

@martin_r_taylor
Replying to @Michael56533172 @d3football

Mt. Union has a 53rd ranked strength of schedule vs Centre having 7th. However, Mt. Union does put up big numbers & there is no way I would argue against that. I've seen film of both teams. They look almost identical on both sides of the ball. Athletes everywhere & great coaches.

I have to question Mr Taylor's ability to evaluate what he sees on film.

raiderpa

To stay with Mount Union, not only can you not make mistakes, you must have superior overall team speed....All-American class team speed in your defensive backfield. Ask any opponent.  (Not bragging here.  They can humiliate you if you are half a step slow.)  I look forward to the match up if Center looks as talented and fast as Mount.  There are many teams who felt equal to the challenge coming into Mount Union Stadium. Maybe only two or three home losses since 1986.

umhb2001

Of the teams remaining, who are statistically the best at each position?

Passing:

David Tammaro     Johns Hopkins     3330 yards
Broc Rutter            North Central     3275 yards

Receiving:

Jalon Hibbs            Centre                1148 Yards

Rushing:

Markeith Miller        UMHB                1401 yards

Interceptions per Game

Jefferson Fritz         UMHB                 8 Ints  .7 per game  135 Return yards

Tackles for Loss

Frankie Feaster       Muhlenberg         20.5        1.9 per game

Field Goal Percentage

Anthony Avila         UMHB               .909 FG Percentage

Kickoff Returns

Brayden Corona       Whitworth         316 Return Yards    26.3 Avg

Punt Returns

KJ Miller              UMHB             593 Return Yards
Aaron Sims          UMHB             424 Return Yards

Lots of good stuff here. Should be great for stat tracking this Saturday.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ratbacker

Quote from: raiderpa on November 19, 2018, 08:25:58 PM
To stay with Mount Union, not only can you not make mistakes, you must have superior overall team speed....All-American class team speed in your defensive backfield. Ask any opponent.  (Not bragging here.  They can humiliate you if you are half a step slow.)  I look forward to the match up if Center looks as talented and fast as Mount.  There are many teams who felt equal to the challenge coming into Mount Union Stadium. Maybe only two or three home losses since 1986.
I certainly don't dispute your claim regarding the need for DB speed to hang with Mount Union, I think outside UMHB only Saint Johns has the DB Athletes to play with MUC. Pre Season All American Max Jackson and FCS transfer Chris Harris are legit. Just hope they get the opportunity to prove it.

HScoach

I would add UWW to that list too.  They have more than proven their ability over the last decade.

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ron Boerger

Thanks UMU folks for the participation, which sadly is more than we've seen from Centre supporters the last couple of years (or more) combined.   Here's hoping for a good game this weekend.   Happy Thanksgiving to all.

umhb2001

Quote from: HScoach on November 20, 2018, 08:19:56 AM
I would add UWW to that list too.  They have more than proven their ability over the last decade.

I think they were thinking recent players and success.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

HScoach

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 20, 2018, 11:35:49 AM

IMHO, any team that wins the WIAC at 10-0 fits that category.

Ratbacker

Quote from: umhb2001 on November 20, 2018, 11:35:49 AM

Yep speaking in terms of this years team rosters, I am sure UWWW has plenty of athletes as well.

Ron Boerger

Centre CB Cal Lewellyn is one of this week's D3football playoff features.   He'll have his hands full on Saturday to be sure.

BerryCollegeFan

Question for those D3 experts, how did the travel rule get set at 500 miles?  How many more options would the committee have if the rule was at 600?  Would it matter in the first round?

HScoach

^ knowing the history of the NCAA, I'm going to guess 'darts'.

Ron Boerger

The altruistic answer is that they don't want student athletes having to spend 10+ hours on a bus.  The real answer is that the density of D3 schools back east is such that it also prevents having to pay for a LOT of flights.  600 miles might add a couple of corner cases but the schools involved probably wouldn't be thrilled about having to climb on a bus for that length of time.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 20, 2018, 08:01:46 PM
Question for those D3 experts, how did the travel rule get set at 500 miles?  How many more options would the committee have if the rule was at 600?  Would it matter in the first round?

We answered this question on a recent podcast, actually.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.