FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

Quote from: kickerdad on August 27, 2014, 01:10:12 PM
For the Averett faithful that may still follow this board - Mike Dunlevy (former Head Coach) has accepted an Assistant Coach position with Central Washington University in Washington State. I belive this is Division II level. According to the web site he will be coaching Linebackers and Defensive Backs. Good Luck coach Dunlevy.
i'd never heard of cwu, so i went to their site and saw something interesting on their schedule...they play 3 teams in their conference in home-and-home contests with one of the 2 games against each counting as a conference game, and the other being a non-conference game - i imagine that is a travel expense thing (perhaps there isn't much d2 football in that part of the country), but very odd to see 3 teams on the schedule twice...i can't recall seeing that on any level of college football before

jknezek

Not quite the same but last year the SCAC did something similar. Trinity, Austin and Southwestern played home and home games, one counting for the conference. Only TLU of the four teams left in the conference played a single set of opponents. They played the 3 SCAC conference games, 6 ASC games (missing only UMHB), and had a game against an out of division opponent cancelled by weather.

FCGrizzliesGrad

We're currently looking for a few more folks who would like to be part of the Top 25 Fan Poll this season over on the General Football board.  There's currently 7 people participating but very little representation from the east and south regions. Our poll even was mentioned in an edition of Around the Nation a couple seasons ago comparing our results to that of the "major" polls. Do you think you can come up with a better ballot than the experts? This is your chance ;)

To participate all you have to do is submit your ballot by PM to me by Tuesdays. Votes for each team may be revealed but no one's ballot will be revealed unless the person announces it themselves.

Preseason ballots are due by Sunday August 31st, but if you're interested and need a couple extra days let me know. :)

Good luck to everyone in the USAC this season.
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

jbyrd

Narch,

What are you hearing about the Monarchs so far? I have heard some positive buzz, just want your take.

narch

Quote from: jbyrd on August 29, 2014, 01:01:54 PM
Narch, What are you hearing about the Monarchs so far? I have heard some positive buzz, just want your take.
here is what i'm hearing

QB - reber has taken things up a notch and vann has lost a lot of weight and looks really sharp....vann could probably start almost anywhere else in the conference, and he and reber have a great relationship...they really work well together - quality AND depth...something the monarchs haven't had in a long time

WR - mu will miss cross (obviously), but radke is catching everything, jacobs looks really good and they have a transfer who will stretch the field - a couple of the freshman from last year have stepped up and look like they are ready to contribute more

RB - page and hall, who both ran well last year, are gone (page transferred to weber international, not sure what hall is doing) - shuler and papillion have run well in camp and a couple young guys have stepped up...one of the freshman is a real home-run threat - 5 deep with quality backs is what i've heard...if the rb's can keep the defense honest (and off the qb) and catch some balls out of the backfield, they'll be doing what they need to do

OL - pretty much everyone is back and there is a transfer who is apparently a beast...should be good there

DL - minter and atkinson are back, and jd stalvey, who missed last season with injury, is back - there are a couple of big bodies in the incoming class and a de/olb who can really get after it

LB - missing holden, jones and davis, but the return of bryan bing (missed last season with injury) is huge for this unit, as is the improvement of some of the young guys - bing made 89 stops with 13.5 tfl in 2012, to go along with 2 int's and 2 fumble recoveries, and was one of the two best defenders on that 2012 unit - his presence will improve the lb unit

DB - davis and payne both return and should anchor a young defensive backfield - all of the corners who played significant minutes are gone...and that might be a positive :)

Special teams - ausherman is back from a strong 2013 campaign to handle kicking duties and vann will punt - i like that vann gives the opponent something to think about when the ball is between the 40's on 4th down, but i wish the backup qb wasn't punting

i've heard that the defense is much improved...it's difficult to get much worse than they were last year, so that's not hard to believe :) - overall, i'm as optimistic about mu football as i've been in a long time, but it's easy to forget that the 8-2 record from last year could have been 3-7 or 4-6 if the ball bounced a little differently in 4 or 5 games - this is a team that needs to prove it every weekend - this conference is deep with quality teams - if they play as they are capable for 10 weeks, they might just get to continue playing for an 11th week (and maybe even beyond), but if they don't bring their A game every week, the talent isn't strong or deep enough to win on talent alone

one of the things i'm most excited about this year is that mu will play an 8 game jv schedule and has a full jv coaching staff...there are still a lot of young guys on this team and getting these guys engaged in the program early is crucial, so that they're ready to roll when this crop of upperclassmen leave - some of the best teams in the country have legit jv programs, and now mu does as well - i think this will help ensure that the success mu had last year and hopes for this year is not a short-term thing like it was back in 2004 and 2005 - coach goss is building a model for sustained success - add that to the probability of a new stadium on the near horizon (you know anyone with a couple million laying around that wants their name on the stadium??? :)), and this team should contend every year - i hope that the results on the field this year bear this out...

Scots13

IT'S GAME WEEK.

Let's get a Pick Em's going. To make it more interesting and have more games in the mix throughout the season, let's keep the ODAC games in it for the whole season.
Have picks in before Friday at noon for the McDaniel/Catholic game, all others Saturday at noon.

Week 1

Friday, Sept 5

McDaniel at Catholic

Saturday, Sept 6

E&H at Ferrum
Southern Virginia at Methodist
W&L at Averett
Berry at Maryville
Huntingdon at Louisana College
Salisbury at CNU
Stevenson at NC Wesleyan
Greensboro at Guilford
LaGrange at Birmingham Southern
HSC at Wabash
RMC at Johns Hopkins
Bridgewater at Gettysburg
Shenandoah at Gallaudet

It goes without saying-- ODACers are more than welcome, and are encouraged, to participate. 

...as well as others who enjoy pick em's. Talkin' to you, GrizzGrad.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jbyrd

Thanks for the run down Narch! I am really looking forward to being back on campus a few times this year. Proud of the changes that are being made and the growth that the school is doing. Also, believe me if I had the money for a new stadium I would have already cut the check! haha

CNU85

Quote from: narch on August 29, 2014, 03:04:18 PM
Quote from: jbyrd on August 29, 2014, 01:01:54 PM
Narch, What are you hearing about the Monarchs so far? I have heard some positive buzz, just want your take.
here is what i'm hearing

QB - reber has taken things up a notch and vann has lost a lot of weight and looks really sharp....vann could probably start almost anywhere else in the conference, and he and reber have a great relationship...they really work well together - quality AND depth...something the monarchs haven't had in a long time

WR - mu will miss cross (obviously), but radke is catching everything, jacobs looks really good and they have a transfer who will stretch the field - a couple of the freshman from last year have stepped up and look like they are ready to contribute more

RB - page and hall, who both ran well last year, are gone (page transferred to weber international, not sure what hall is doing) - shuler and papillion have run well in camp and a couple young guys have stepped up...one of the freshman is a real home-run threat - 5 deep with quality backs is what i've heard...if the rb's can keep the defense honest (and off the qb) and catch some balls out of the backfield, they'll be doing what they need to do

OL - pretty much everyone is back and there is a transfer who is apparently a beast...should be good there

DL - minter and atkinson are back, and jd stalvey, who missed last season with injury, is back - there are a couple of big bodies in the incoming class and a de/olb who can really get after it

LB - missing holden, jones and davis, but the return of bryan bing (missed last season with injury) is huge for this unit, as is the improvement of some of the young guys - bing made 89 stops with 13.5 tfl in 2012, to go along with 2 int's and 2 fumble recoveries, and was one of the two best defenders on that 2012 unit - his presence will improve the lb unit

DB - davis and payne both return and should anchor a young defensive backfield - all of the corners who played significant minutes are gone...and that might be a positive :)

Special teams - ausherman is back from a strong 2013 campaign to handle kicking duties and vann will punt - i like that vann gives the opponent something to think about when the ball is between the 40's on 4th down, but i wish the backup qb wasn't punting

i've heard that the defense is much improved...it's difficult to get much worse than they were last year, so that's not hard to believe :) - overall, i'm as optimistic about mu football as i've been in a long time, but it's easy to forget that the 8-2 record from last year could have been 3-7 or 4-6 if the ball bounced a little differently in 4 or 5 games - this is a team that needs to prove it every weekend - this conference is deep with quality teams - if they play as they are capable for 10 weeks, they might just get to continue playing for an 11th week (and maybe even beyond), but if they don't bring their A game every week, the talent isn't strong or deep enough to win on talent alone

one of the things i'm most excited about this year is that mu will play an 8 game jv schedule and has a full jv coaching staff...there are still a lot of young guys on this team and getting these guys engaged in the program early is crucial, so that they're ready to roll when this crop of upperclassmen leave - some of the best teams in the country have legit jv programs, and now mu does as well - i think this will help ensure that the success mu had last year and hopes for this year is not a short-term thing like it was back in 2004 and 2005 - coach goss is building a model for sustained success - add that to the probability of a new stadium on the near horizon (you know anyone with a couple million laying around that wants their name on the stadium??? :)), and this team should contend every year - i hope that the results on the field this year bear this out...

This could be the year Narch!!!! Good luck to your boys!

Bishop64

NCWC has released its Roster for the 2014 season. Looks like they will be recruiting heavy in Florida, Tenn. and Georgia. I counted 17 listed from Florida
The only easy day was yesterday

HSCTiger74

OK Scots, I'll jump in.

My picks:
Catholic
E&H
Southern Virginia
W&L
Maryville
Louisiana Coll.
CNU
NC Wesleyan
Guilford
Birmingham Southern
HSC
JHU
Bridgewater
Gallaudet
TANSTAAFL

Ben Stein Fan

Week 1

Friday, Sept 5

Catholic

Saturday, Sept 6

Ferrum
Methodist
W&L
Maryville
Louisana College
CNU
Stevenson
Guilford
LaGrange
Wabash
Johns Hopkins
Bridgewater
Gallaudet

Scots13

Averett beats W&L to start the season? Did NOT see that coming.

Maryville beat Berry 41-14. MC had too many penalties and let the deep game beat them a few times. Berry was bitten by the turnover bug. 387 rush yds from MC. A lot to improve on, but solid opening game. Sr WR Ed Johnson did not play.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Huntingdon and Louisiana are knotted at 42 with 9 to play.

E&H runs Ferrum out of the stadium.

Methodist holds off SVU.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Hawks, DG..

That's heartbreaking. What a game.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

narch

the monarchs really didn't play well in the win today...reber had one of the worst games i've seen him play in the last few years - he held the ball too long at times, and wasn't as explosive in the run game, but he still finished 27-43 for 329, 2 td's and an int - radke dropped one certain td and another that could have been 6, but had 6 catches for 96 yds and 2 tds - the defense played well most of the day, but gave up a 99 yard td play - missed xp's and fg's, a blocked punt by svu (for a td) and one badly shanked punt, but a spectacular return by payne and 3 booming touchbacks by ausherman - just a weird game from that standpoint...some really nice stuff mixed with some really bad stuff - they will not beat guilford if they play that sloppy, but the talent is there...rb's ran really hard today and the wr corps is going to be solid - the offense was very balanced and ran 100 plays (43 pass, 57 rush)...they were REALLY fast for most of the first 3 quarters, then really slow for most of the 4th

best thing about the game is everyone appeared to be healthy and it was a win...