Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightstalker

Smed, you are correct about many paths to education.  One of the most educated people I knew was my father.  He dropped out of HS at the end of the 44 school year to enlist in the Navy during WWII.  He received training in the Navy as a radioman but was a Quartermaster on his ship.  He went to radio school after the Navy but dropped out because he was teaching the instructor.  He never got his diploma or GED but was better educated than many teachers and college professors I had.  He read constantly, listened to people and used to learn just for the enjoyment of learning.

The problem is when looking for job in this day and age if you don't have that piece of paper from some school or another you are fighting an uphill battle as too many people are more concerned with the diploma and not with the knowledge.  I know this from experience, a long long time ago when I got out of the Navy, I applied for a job at the NASA wind tunnel facility in Langley, VA.  I had three years experience working with high pressure hydraulic and air systems on board my submarine.  The manager of the facility wanted to hire me but policy pushed the guy with six months tech school and the piece of paper and no experience above me on the hiring list.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

smedindy

I do think it all depends. Dealing with the HR department here, they have strict rules and protocol. Oh, the rules and protocol. But I think the line "BA degree in X OR equivalent professional experience" should be the way to go.

Some people slag on state and federal paperwork and HR policies but many private companies have the same issues with paper-chasing.

Ralph Turner

Here are the 12 brand-new college football programs for 2013

Thanks to Shoreman on the SAA Football board for the link.

Berry, Hendrix and Southwestern in D-III for 2013.

Ron Boerger

Well, well, well.  The NCAA is about to knuckle under and create a new division for the D-1 haves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-poised-to-create-separate-division-for-sec--big-ten--acc--pac-12--big-12-212725211.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Any bets that the haves will become less likely to want to share the wealth with everyone else once they have their own mudhole to wallow in?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 17, 2014, 04:58:50 PM
Well, well, well.  The NCAA is about to knuckle under and create a new division for the D-1 haves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-poised-to-create-separate-division-for-sec--big-ten--acc--pac-12--big-12-212725211.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Any bets that the haves will become less likely to want to share the wealth with everyone else once they have their own mudhole to wallow in?

Well, the NCAA constitution will mandate the percentage of revenue. I actually think giving this group a little more self-determination will make it more likely they remain in the NCAA. If they broke away and took the television contracts with them, that is the end of college athletics in the other divisions as we know it.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 17, 2014, 05:13:23 PM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on January 17, 2014, 04:58:50 PM

Well, the NCAA constitution will mandate the percentage of revenue. I actually think giving this group a little more self-determination will make it more likely they remain in the NCAA. If they broke away and took the television contracts with them, that is the end of college athletics in the other divisions as we know it.

The NCAA is going to give them whatever they want.  Without those schools, there is no NCAA.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

olddog

Start of professional sports at the college level. Soon players will form a union. When Alabama makes 40m a year on football, huge salaries for coaches, admin, increased donations etc...and players compensation stays the same, something is off base.
This is the end of college football as we know it. This is exactly why I love D1AA to D3 football. Major college football is AAA football at this point, free minor leagues for the pros.  The NFL is all for the NCAA monopoly, hence the owners do not have to pay for a minor league system.
California, Where no cares who is in charge and zero accountability

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

THey don't make 40m a year, they take in that much and more, but very few schools even turn a profit on their athletic programs.  They pay it all out to coaches and most are using money from the general fund every year.  I'm not opposed to that if your expenses are reasonable, but giving so much to football and basketball coaches throw off the equation.

It's selfish, but I'm happy to let those big schools do whatever they want so long as they keep throwing 3% our way to keep d3 running.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ron Boerger

More on the topic from The Chronicle of Higher Education and Gordon Gee, president of WVU (and former president at Ohio State before some ill-advised remarks there caused him to step down):

http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/gordon-gee-on-splintering-the-ncaa-i-would-vote-for-it/34229

QuoteMr. Gee, president of West Virginia University, who has spent his career entrenched in big-time sports, said in an interview with The Chronicle that he would back a plan to create a fourth NCAA division or "leave the NCAA altogether." And he suggested that Mark Emmert, the association's leader, whose work he has long admired, had lost his footing.

Mr. Gee wouldn't say whether he favored a fourth division or a breakaway. But he said that leaving the NCAA would give the wealthiest institutions the chance to "really reinvent the whole nature of the governance structure."

As someone who heads up a school with few of the financial advantages the other "Big 60" schools have, it's somewhat ironic that he wants to associate WVU with a potential break-away group.   I guess he figures its to his school's advantage if it doesn't have to share the wealth it has (or could gain from such a proposal) with everyone else. Shudder.

Just Bill

What he says may or may not be true, but ain't nobody lining up behind whatever parade Gordon Gee is leading anymore.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Knightstalker

Quote from: olddog on January 21, 2014, 08:08:57 PM
Start of professional sports at the college level. Soon players will form a union. When Alabama makes 40m a year on football, huge salaries for coaches, admin, increased donations etc...and players compensation stays the same, something is off base.
This is the end of college football as we know it. This is exactly why I love D1AA to D3 football. Major college football is AAA football at this point, free minor leagues for the pros.  The NFL is all for the NCAA monopoly, hence the owners do not have to pay for a minor league system.

Here you go.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/northwestern-football-team-takes-first-step-in-forming-college-players-union-163217754.html

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Knightstalker on January 29, 2014, 11:49:02 AM
Quote from: olddog on January 21, 2014, 08:08:57 PM

Here you go.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/northwestern-football-team-takes-first-step-in-forming-college-players-union-163217754.html
The remaining 900 or so schools that would not want to fool with the hassles of unions and "student"-athletes might cause some boards of trustees to ask why don't we go D-3.

Pat Coleman

From Facebook:
QuoteBCH Sports
52 minutes ago
BREAKING NEWS: McMurry announced it will withdraw its bid to go to Division II. Will stay at Division III for all athletic programs

Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone. Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 31, 2014, 03:13:54 PM
From Facebook:
QuoteBCH Sports
52 minutes ago
BREAKING NEWS: McMurry announced it will withdraw its bid to go to Division II. Will stay at Division III for all athletic programs

Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone. Ralph Turner, please pick up the courtesy phone.

Sometimes I wonder who is in charge at these places? I mean, the decision to go D2 shouldn't have been some spur of the moment idea. It should have required a lot of thought and planning. It should have been a decision that once made, was made with at least a 10 year plan in place to make it successful. To turn around after what? 24 months? Maybe, and give up or change your mind or decide its a failure just looks like a school or athletic department that is completely rudderless and lacking leadership. Either that or filled with bumblers who can't do more than act on a whim.

To an outsider, it just looks embarrassing. Yes, no, we don't know, maybe, lets try it, no wait, we take it back, kind of like my 4 year old daughter trying to decide between 2 desserts...

Pat Coleman

It does seem like a big waste of time and money for a school that fit the Division III profile very well. Glad they're back, dunno when they'll be eligible for the playoffs again, or whether they would find the new SCAC more enticing than the ASC.