MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GU1999

Week of December 19-25:

Monday, 12/18:
MUW 68 @ Penn State - Brandywine 60

In a game with a lot of missed shots, MUW won it on the boards (+15).  The 8 point differential in second chance points was the margin in this one.  Neither team shot welll, but MUW was able to convert slightly better at the line going 18 of their  while PSB only made 15 of their 26.  Good to get a win headed into the break for MUW.

Tuesday, 12/19:
Monmouth 81 @ Westminster 73

This game was a tight 28 all affair at the half.  In the second, Monmouth just kept going to the line.  As Coach K used to say, if you make more FTs than the other team takes, you win.  That was certainly the case in this one.  Monmouth made 18 FT and Westmin only shot 11 (making 7).   Otherwise this one looked very similar statistically.

Wednesday, 12/20:

Loras @ Blackburn - While the "World Famous Beaver Dome" is a tough place to play given is microscopic size, Loras and the fighting Chris Martins will dominate this one.  GU was so close to having the great Chris Martin in the early 00's.  His brother Brandon was a very good player at GU. 

Defiance at Spalding - This game is listed on the SLIAC site, but I am not sure if it is actually happening. No sign of it on either the Spalding or Defiance basketball pages.  That said, Defiance does appear to match up with IUPUI tomorrow.  Interestingly, Spalding played IUPUI very closely earlier this year dropping a road contest by 7 to the Jaguars. 

GU1999

Well, we're back. 

And the SLIAC conf tournament is down to the final 4. 

#2 GU v. #3 Spalding

#1 Fontbonne (cough cough - IYKYK) v. #4 Webster

All games at Fontbonne.  Should be a good weekend. 

hopefan

Thanks to D3hoops for the time and $$$ spent to get these boards back up and running.....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

I know that writing about this is an abject waste of time, but... i do it none-the-less

The SLIAC is a body notoriously poor at end of season awards.  This year was no exception.   

https://sliac.org/news/2024/2/20/mens-basketball-adams-claims-top-award.aspx

POY - spot on.  Jaquan Adams has been great. 
DPOY - what is the opposite of spot on... spot off, i guess (more on this below)

A few surprises. 

Namely that this player did not make 1st/2nd/3rd or all-defence:
- Led conf in assists (#15 nationally) 5.5 apg
- led conf in steals (#3 nationally in total steals / #2 in SPG at 3.42 spg)
- 10.6 ppg
- engine that made co-champs go
- in 19.1 mins/g

The historically egregious snub of GU point guard Johari Dix in 2019 was really bad.  This kid is Johari Dix 2.0 and he didn't get ANY love.   

Vincent Rodriguez, I'd like to say that the league will do right by you next year, but I would not count on it.  Just let it fuel a good run this weekend and leave with the real prize.   

The defensive POY whose league write up touted Karl Moore jr.'s blocked shots. He had 50 less blocks than another player in... the same league.  Malik Madison, averaged 4 blocked shots per game and is an absolute physical freak.  This puts him either #1 or 2 in all of the NCAA, if Lyon's stats counted on the NCAA site.
Super athletic and 6'10".  Karl has been really good over the past three seasons, but reasonably there were two players who deserved DPOY more than he did.  One of which didn't even make the All-Defense list, namely the guy who is 2nd in steals per game in all of d3. 

hopefan

Congrats to the Griffs... though I have little hope that the SLIAC's NCAA streak will be broken....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

I only caught the end of the game, but Fontbonne appears to have played well against Trine, the #13 ranked team in the country, and they were in striking distance in the final minutes. I believe it was as close as four points with 2-3 minutes to go. Congats to the Griffins on a fine showing.

GU1999

The SLIAC all-sports standings were updated following the Winter Sports Season. Webster has won in 21 of the past 23 seasons.   

After of decades of poorly applying a Webster favouring scoring system, the league has appeared to made some common sense changes.

- Include only SLIAC core institutions. 
- Award 10 for first and then decrease by one until you run out of teams that competed in that sport
- Take total points divide by number of sports that institution competes in.

Current standings:
points per sport = p/s

Greenville - 9.11 p/s (9 sports, 6 conf champions)
Webster - 7 p/s (9 sports, 2 conf champions)
Lyon - 6.92 p/s (12 sports, 2 conf champions)
Fontbonne - 6.83 p/s (12 sports, 2 conf champions)
Spalding - 6.6 p/s (10 sports, 1 conf champion)
Westminster - 5.77 p/s (11 sports, 0 conf champions)
Principia - 4.78 p/s (9 sports, 0 champions)
Eureka - 4.75 p/s (12 sports, 2 champions)
MUW - 4.40 p/s (10 sports, 0 champions)
Blackburn 1.95 p/s (10 sports, 0 champions)

Pat Coleman

Fontbonne today announced it is closing at the end of the 2024-25 academic year. No mention of what happens to athletics in 2024-25 but Cabrini's experience suggests it will be difficult to field all of their teams next year, if it is their intent to try.

https://www.fontbonne.edu/fontbonne-announcement-2025/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GU1999

Simply terrible news. End of an era for one of the SLIAC OGs. 

I have great memories playing against, coaching against and now watching the Griffins from distance.  Lasting memories will remain with me of beating the Griffins in the most improbable SLIAC conference tourney final where the 5 seed Panthers hosted, and beat, the 7 seed Griffins in a thriller (80-79).  My 9 day old son attending his first public event at Fontbonnes gym. And, etched in my mind will be the lasting memory of Lee McKinney and his fights against cancer and the vulnerability he shared with our team in Greenville during that time.  What an amazing coach and leader he was. 

y_jack_lok

^^^ Yes, sad and terrible news indeed. This is the third SLIAC related institution to close in this decade, MacMurray and Iowa Wesleyan being the others.

Several other D3 institutions are trying to hang on. Northland College in Ashland, WI just announced an urgent fundraising effort to raise $12 million by April 3rdto avoid closure: https://www.northland.edu/fundraising-appeal/ Birmingham Southern College has been seeking a loan from the state of Alabama to remain viable: https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB31/2024