MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Quote from: Titan Q on July 22, 2018, 08:49:22 AM
Quote from: AndOne on July 17, 2018, 02:09:42 PM
Catching scent of a rumor that has begun wafting on the summer circuit breeze. It centers on the possibility that a certain former star player, whose academic/athletic collegiate career was recently interrupted, may return to the classroom and court in the upcoming year/season. 😯

Important to point out that, to date, only one note of this possible symphony has been sounded. So, it remains to be seen if it's composer was playing the joker, or if the composition might move from the adagio stage to andante. 🤗

Interesting possibility. 🤔

Right after the '17-18 season ended (maybe March), someone told me that Jordan Robinson was going to play at Elmhurst next year.  But that person basically said, "I'll try to get confirmation and get back to you"...and that was the last I heard.

File away in the completely unsubstantiated rumor category.

I did a little further checking, and found that inquiries were indeed made, and some discussion did in fact ensue with regard to the possibility of Jordan Robinson playing for Elmhurst in the coming season.

Sources indicated they felt that the primary sticking point revolved around the Elmhurst staff wanting some assurances which Mr. Robinson was unable to provide. Namely that before such discussion reached a serious note, he would be able to furnish strong documentation that he would indeed be able to meet Elmhurst's transfer credit requirements for admission. Understandably, the EC staff did not want to proceed under the assumption that Robinson would be with the team next season, only to later learn that such would not be the case. I also got the impression that there was some degree of trepidation concerning not wanting to disrupt the chemistry that has been developed between current team members.

With regard to the question of possible admission to EC, I was advised that it was thought that Robinson attended a JUCO last year but that he did not attend on a full time basis for the entire school year. As such, it is extremely difficult to fathom how he would have been able to obtain the needed credit hours that he failed to achieve during his 2016-2017 junior year at North Park, and which Elmhurst would require. Even if he did obtain the maximum number of credit hours possible at a JUCO last year, there is no guarantee that Elmhurst would have accepted them all. And, no way was an outstanding institution such as Elmhurst College going to bend their rules.

In summary, it doesn't appear the possibility of JR playing for Elmhurst next year really progressed much beyond a very preliminary discussion stage. Should that possiblity have changed, it would certainly be a shock to all those involved. And, should he appear as a member of any D3 team this season, it would be interesting to examine how that institution's transfer requirements were met.

Going forward, one wonders if some NAIA school might enter the picture and secure Jordan's considerable basketball talents. 🤔 🏀

USee

Sounds like a perfect recruit for North Central.  8-)

augie77

On the face of it, a return to North Park seems the logical choice assuming Mr. Robinson wishes to resume his playing career.  Is this not a viable option for some reason?

markerickson

IF JR did not earn a sufficient amount of credits during 16-17, the problem would have arisen in spring 2017 after the season ended when grades got issued and not the fall semester, right?

IF JR attended a JUCO during 17-18, he would not have needed to be a full-time student.

I do not know if calling EC "outstanding" was sarcastic, but I remind you this is the institution that recently violated NCAA regulations over several years by at least two teams.  The EC wrestling and football pages note that various results over a four and three year period have been vacated, respectively.  (This means NPU won four conference games in 2013, which may be the most since 1968.)

I very seriously doubt NPU used an ineligible JR as implied.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

AndOne

Quote from: markerickson on July 30, 2018, 01:06:07 PM
IF JR did not earn a sufficient amount of credits during 16-17, the problem would have arisen in spring 2017 after the season ended when grades got issued and not the fall semester, right?

IF JR attended a JUCO during 17-18, he would not have needed to be a full-time student.

I do not know if calling EC "outstanding" was sarcastic, but I remind you this is the institution that recently violated NCAA regulations over several years by at least two teams.  The EC wrestling and football pages note that various results over a four and three year period have been vacated, respectively.  (This means NPU won four conference games in 2013, which may be the most since 1968.)

I very seriously doubt NPU used an ineligible JR as implied.

Mark,

First of all, I see no implication whatsoever that NPU played, as you term it, " an ineligible JR." Such was certainly not my intent.
Others may interpret things differently, but my understanding was/is that as of the the conclusion of the 2016-2017 school year, he hadn't made satisfactory academic progress in that he hadn't earned whatever number of credit hours (90?) that NPU requires after 3 full time years of study. Thus he was not eligible to return to NPU last year as either a student, which of course would also preclude athletic competition. Again, this was as of the end of the 2016-17 school year. As you said, the problem arose in the spring, NOT at the end of the first semester. So, unless I'm very confused, JR was certainly fully eligible for every game he ever played at NPU, and I don't believe I ever implied otherwise. I just don't believe NPU would knowingly allow an ineligible player to participate.

With regard to the possibility of re-admission, and regaining eligibility, And moving beyond the end of the 2016-2017 school year, I was advised that during the summer of 2017, he took 3 classes, but did not earn any credits. I have no way of knowing if that was truly case. But, let's say that information is correct. Let's also say that he earned 9 credit hours last summer. Even if so, would that have given him enough credit hours to return to school, and basketball this past school year/season?
Also, if he did not attend any school full time this past school year, it's very difficult to see how he could have earned all the credit hours he needed, unless he was pretty close to that number as of the conclusion of 2026-2017, which I don't believe was the case. And remember, he allegedly didn't pick up any hours in summer 2017 which, if he had, might have allowed him to attend on a less than full time basis in 2017-2018. Lastly, often times, not all credits earned at a JUCO will transfer/be accepted by a four year institution.

Now, concerning Elmhurst. NO, I was NOT being sarcastic when I referred to Elmhurst College as being "outstanding." I was thinking along academic lines when I said that, and I fully meant it. I don't know anything about any difficulties the EC wrestling or football team may have had. My thinking centered on the fact that I'm aware that US News & World Report 2018 College rankings ranks Elmhurst #11 in the Regional Universities, Midwest category. And I think Number 11 in a seven or eight state area is pretty "outstanding."  :)

AndOne

Quote from: augie77 on July 28, 2018, 02:06:48 AM
On the face of it, a return to North Park seems the logical choice assuming Mr. Robinson wishes to resume his playing career.  Is this not a viable option for some reason?

Augie77,

When I first heard of the possibility, my first thought was also that NPU was the logical choice! I was surprised when I heard otherwise.
However, as partially delineated above, it's difficult to see how he has earned enough credits to be re-admitted to NPU-or to just about any other D3 for that matter.
But, we'll eventually see how things shake out. 🔮
I guess anything is possible. 🤗

Pat Coleman

Quote from: markerickson on July 30, 2018, 01:06:07 PM
The EC wrestling and football pages note that various results over a four and three year period have been vacated, respectively.  (This means NPU won four conference games in 2013, which may be the most since 1968.)

That's not what vacating is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

badgerwarhawk

I don't know any specifics about JR's situation and Greg understandably hasn't said anything but I'm getting the impression he might be better served if he were to concentrate on his education and a tad less on hoops.

If I'm not mistaken "vacating" doesn't give opponents a win.  It simply takes a win away from the offending team.  It does nothing for an opponents W/L line. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Correct... vacating takes wins away from the offending team. It also takes stats away from individuals or altogether (depending on the situation) on the offending team. It does NOTHING for the opponent. Results and stats remain the same for the opponent.

Forfeit is a different topic altogether.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

As we all know, not every recruit can be classified as an "elite" player.
How then, can seemingly every kid who goes to some kind of camp always be going to nothing but an ELITE camp?  ???

Shorty Shooter will attend the Unaccredited University ELITE camp next week.

Seems like lots of BS is being spread—both by the schools running the camps, and all the services promoting their multitudes of nothing but "elite" players. 🤥
Barf! 🤮

iwumichigander

Quote from: AndOne on August 01, 2018, 01:28:26 AM
As we all know, not every recruit can be classified as an "elite" player.
How then, can seemingly every kid who goes to some kind of camp always be going to nothing but an ELITE camp?  ???

Shorty Shooter will attend the Unaccredited University ELITE camp next week.

Seems like lots of BS is being spread—both by the schools running the camps, and all the services promoting their multitudes of nothing but "elite" players. 🤥
Barf! 🤮
somenody has to feed the egos of the participants and the parents shelling out the big bucks.  Would you want to lay out big bucks for a basketball camp or an Everyone Gets A Trophy Camp

markerickson

I coached a lot of Little League and Pony baseball over the years.  In my very small universe, I saw one kid who played up and easily threw much faster than any other kid I witnessed.  If any kid had a chance to reach lofty heights, he did.  And, he was the son of a Super Bowl ring-bearing Bear.  The kid did not even play baseball in HS as he concentrated on hoops.  I had a co-worker tell me her 8th grade daughter was on track to get an athletic scholarship to play soccer at Stanford.  The kid never played HS soccer, but did play a couple of games in fours years at a D3 school.  I had another co-worker claim that her son was on track to play in the MLB.  The kid ended up being a reserve on a subpar HS team. 

I'll take three CCIW football conference victories by NPU any year!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

When I lived in South Jersey I had this guy in my church whose son was on a travel baseball team - he always talked about one of his sons teammates, said he was headed for greatness.  The guy couldn't talk this kid up enough.  Kid's name is Mike Trout.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

markerickson

Mike Trout is the best player in the MLB right now.  I would have loved to see him dominate as a teen.  Same thing with Chris Sale and, getting back to basketball, Pete Marovich.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Using the term "elite" is like saying "AAU" or "team" sports.

Term just thrown around to make it look and sound cool.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.