MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Quote from: Titan Q on August 09, 2018, 03:36:56 PM
IWU will face the Fighting Illini on Friday November 2 in Champaign...

https://www.iwusports.com/news/2018/8/9/titans-to-face-illini-in-mens-basketball-exhibition-on-nov-2.aspx

If I was an Illinois Wesleyan fan, I would be very excited about the upcoming non-conference schedule.

AndOne

Quote from: titanalum94 on August 09, 2018, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on August 09, 2018, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: titanalum94 on August 09, 2018, 03:40:15 PM

https://www.iwusports.com/news/2018/8/9/titans-to-face-illini-in-mens-basketball-exhibition-on-nov-2.aspx

Surprising considering they saw just how wrong this can go last season. Last thing any team needs is an injury to a top player in an exhibition game (i.e. Pierson Wofford).

Are the odds of injury greater playing the University of Illinois vs Olivet Nazarene?

Assuming players are going to want to go at U of I a little harder than they would against Olivet.

Not.
Players are going to be attempting to cement their spot as a starter, or to become a member of the regular rotation if not a starter. Accordingly, they should be going full out no matter the opponent. 🏀

Titan Q

The day after the Titans face the Illini in Champaign, Saturday Nov. 3, they will face D1 UIC in Chicago.

augie77

Wofford's injury could have occurred versus any team.  He just landed awkwardly after going up for a rebound.  The injury was unfortunate, but I'm sure any Augustana player or coach will welcome future opportunities versus Big Ten or other high level opponents.

John Gleich

Quote from: titanalum94 on August 09, 2018, 04:39:18 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on August 09, 2018, 04:37:36 PM
Quote from: titanalum94 on August 09, 2018, 03:40:15 PM

Surprising considering they saw just how wrong this can go last season. Last thing any team needs is an injury to a top player in an exhibition game (i.e. Pierson Wofford).

Are the odds of injury greater playing the University of Illinois vs Olivet Nazarene?

Assuming players are going to want to go at U of I a little harder than they would against Olivet.

I think it is less that the IWU players are going harder and more that the U of I players are going to be (harder) better faster stronger.

The reality is that U of I's players simply are going to be bigger and more immovable than, say, the Gorlocks of Webster. There's always a chance for injury when you step out to play, but that includes at practice. And nobody is suggesting that IWU stop practicing just to avoid injury.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Titan Q on August 09, 2018, 09:22:53 PM
The day after the Titans face the Illini in Champaign, Saturday Nov. 3, they will face D1 UIC in Chicago.

While their chances against UI are effectively zero, do they have any realistic chance against UIC?  (I'm totally unfamiliar with UIC, but know they are not a powerhouse.)

WUPHF

Ok, I'll answer since everyone else is on vacation or something: no, no realistic chance.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

BTW - Wofford and any other player could injure themselves just as likely in practice. Sometimes stuff happens.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on August 13, 2018, 12:24:06 PM
BTW - Wofford and any other player could injure themselves just as likely in practice. Sometimes stuff happens.

A prime example occurring just this past season when All Conference player, and 1,000 point scorer, Erwin Henry of North Central broke his foot in practice, and missed what proved to be the last nine games of the season.

Certainly wasn't the first time, and won't be the last. 😏

AndOne

Aaron Tiknis, a former CCIW All-Conference player for North Central, and an assistant coach for the Cardinals for the last 4 years, has been hired as the head assistant at Adrian College of the MIAA.

newCCIWfan

Quote from: AndOne on August 17, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Aaron Tiknis, a former CCIW All-Conference player for North Central, and an assistant coach for the Cardinals for the last 4 years, has been hired as the head assistant at Adrian College of the MIAA.

This strikes me as a weird move --- I had assumed Tiknis would be in line to replace Steve Schweer as their full-time assistant.  I also would assume that NCC would pay better then Adrian.  Is there another side to this story?

AndOne

Quote from: newCCIWfan on August 17, 2018, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: AndOne on August 17, 2018, 09:43:18 AM

This strikes me as a weird move --- I had assumed Tiknis would be in line to replace Steve Schweer as their full-time assistant.  I also would assume that NCC would pay better then Adrian. Is there another side to this story?

Quote from: AndOne on June 24, 2018, 10:54:29 PM
CONGRATS

To Vince Kmiec on being named North Central Men's Basketball Head Assistant Coach.
Vince, who received his Bachelors from NCC in 2014 and his Masters in 2017, first joined the Cardinals' staff as a graduate assistant for the 2015-16, and 2016-17 seasons. He then served as a full time assistant coach this past season.

Kmiec was a four year letter winner and 3 year starter for the Cardinals from 2010-2014.
He finished his career as NCC's all time leader in both steals (173), and free-throw percentage (.830) while ranking third in 3 pointers made (167).
As a junior he set a North Central single-season record with 67 steals and earned Third Team All-CCIW honors while being one of the primary drivers of a team which reached the Division III Final Four.
As a senior he achieved Second Team All-CCIW recognition while averaging 15.0 points per game, and leading the conference in steals (55), and 3 pointers made (56).

Vince is a natural choice for the position. His skill set, bench experience, and communication skills will serve him well in his new position. Congratulations and good luck, Vince.

The only "other side" to this story is the fact that almost a month ago, Vince Kmiec was already hired as North Central's new Head Assistant Coach, replacing Steve Schweer when Steve got the top job at Illinois College.
Read the last paragraph of my above 6/24 post again. Nothing weird about it.
Steve moved up in becoming a head man, Vince moved up at NCC, and Aaron moved up by moving to Adrian. 3 wins! :)
And, yes, NCC probably does pay better than Adrian.  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

newCCIWfan and AndOne, NCC might well pay better than Adrian, but the cost-of-living in Adrian is SO much less than Naperville, that it may more than offset any salary differential.  (My older son was offered a $10,000 raise to take a similar position in the Boston area by his company.  Once he researched cost-of-living differential, he decided to stay put rather than take about a $10,000 CUT in effective pay!)

AndOne

LOTS of places where the cost of living is SO much less than Naperville, Ypsi. Thats why in NaPPerville you see multitudes of mommies picking up their little darlings at school in Land Rovers, Escalades, Navigators, and Lexus LXs. No minivans allowed.  ::) LOL.
With regard to Adrian, the problem is isolation. We played there a few years ago. After exiting the Ohio Turnpike in western Ohio, you need to go about another 25 miles north across the border to Adrian. It seemed like we saw about 10 buildings in that whole 25 miles. Adrian is a fair sized town, but it seemed like it was dropped from space into the middle of nowhere.  ;)

Mr. Ypsi

AndOne, coming into Adrian from the south gave a distorted impression of the isolation of Adrian.  It's true that in that direction there is nothing but flat farmland - no towns, no water, no nothing.  But just to the north of Adrian is the Irish Hills, a lovely region of dozens of lakes and modest resorts.  And Ann Arbor, generally viewed as one of the most livable small cities in the country, is only 20 miles to the east.