MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndOne

Ypsi,

Thank you.
While isolation can certainly be a relative term, it seems that if there is basically nothing for at least 25-30 miles to both the south and west, some small lakes (it does sound like a lovely area) to the north, and nothing for 20 miles until Ann Arbor to the east, that Adrian is indeed "isolated." 😉
Perhaps, however, my vision is clouded by virtue of my background of living in the Connecticut suburbs of New York City, and western suburban Chicago. 😵

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: AndOne on August 19, 2018, 03:13:24 PM
Ypsi,

Thank you.
While isolation can certainly be a relative term, it seems that if there is basically nothing for at least 25-30 miles to both the south and west, some small lakes (it does sound like a lovely area) to the north, and nothing for 20 miles until Ann Arbor to the east, that Adrian is indeed "isolated." 😉
Perhaps, however, my vision is clouded by virtue of my background of living in the Connecticut suburbs of New York City, and western suburban Chicago. 😵

Yeah, Adrian may not be a very desirable destination for people who like big cities, but there is a lot more than 'nothing' between Adrian and Ann Arbor.  There are several charming small towns (rapidly becoming suburbs) before reaching AA, some of which even have very good dining.  (Adrian wouldn't appeal to me personally, as the only good dining option I've found is a delightful Mexican restaurant/bar, whose actual Spanish name is not coming to me right now, but translates as The Grasshopper.  While Mrs. Y and I are both very good cooks, and enjoy cooking, nevertheless our favorite leisure-time pursuit is dining out!)

Getting back to whether or not Aaron Tiknis made a 'weird' move, if he is the sort of person (and there are many millions) who would find Adrian a congenial place to live, he may well have effectively gotten a huge raise in the process, considering the cost-of-living differential!

AndOne

Ypsi,

Please remember it was newCCIWfan who labeled Aaron's move "weird," not me!

Financial considerations aside, Aaron took a step up professionally, so it's all good.  ;D

Mrs. A & I join Mrs. Y & you in the enjoyment of dining out. 🍷 🍽 🥩 🍤 🥧 ☕️ 😋

augie77

Mr. Ypsi, you disappoint me!  I thought your favorite leisure time activity was commenting on D-3 hoops!

I also have to add that despite the stench of maize and blue (I live outside Lansing; Go Green--not the IWU variety), Ann Arbor is a great community.  Twenty minute drive to Ann Arbor doesn't qualify Adrian as "isolated" in my opinion.  How long does it take to get from Naperville to Chicago?  Sure, Naperville is a great city in its own right, but it can take 20 minutes to get from the edge of Naperville into downtown.  Adrian has the added advantage of being generally congestion-free.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: augie77 on August 19, 2018, 07:32:46 PM
Mr. Ypsi, you disappoint me!  I thought your favorite leisure time activity was commenting on D-3 hoops!

I also have to add that despite the stench of maize and blue (I live outside Lansing; Go Green--not the IWU variety), Ann Arbor is a great community.  Twenty minute drive to Ann Arbor doesn't qualify Adrian as "isolated" in my opinion.  How long does it take to get from Naperville to Chicago?  Sure, Naperville is a great city in its own right, but it can take 20 minutes to get from the edge of Naperville into downtown.  Adrian has the added advantage of being generally congestion-free.

Since we only dine out once or twice a week, I suppose my most FREQUENT leisure time activity is commenting on ANYTHING D3!  Depending on the season, you can find me just as often on d3football or d3baseball boards!

U of Michigan was my grad school - I never left, just gradually drifted 10 miles east.  The only 'green' schools I recognize are IWU and EMU (my employer for most of my career).  Moo U is not a part of my world! :P

AndOne

You would have really had me worried had you not added the exclusionary notation about the IWU version of green. 😏
From my standpoint, the "isolation" to the east of Adrian stems not from the distance itself to Ann Arbor but rather, as I a understand it, due to the fact that so much of that distance is nothing but open space/fields.  :D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on August 20, 2018, 12:42:05 AM77,

You would have really had me worried had you not added the exclusionary notation about the IWU version of green. 😏

He's an Augie alumnus whose son played soccer for Wheaton. I think I'd double-take so hard that it would give me whiplash if I found out that he was rooting for IWU.

Quote from: augie77 on August 19, 2018, 07:32:46 PMSure, Naperville is a great city in its own right, but it can take 20 minutes to get from the edge of Naperville into downtown.

Twenty minutes to get from Naperville to downtown? Sorry to tell you this, Steve, but Meigs Field no longer exists, so you can't fly a private jet downtown anymore. ;)

Whether you're taking I-88 and the Eisenhower, or the Stevenson, I think that you're looking at a 45-minute drive to the Loop out of Naperville, at least, and that's without bad traffic.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

augie77

You are at zero risk of whiplash, Gregory.

Now you've convinced me that Naperville is quite isolated. ;)

Gregory Sager

NPU assistant coach Joe Fano has just been hired as the new head coach at St. Mary's (MN).

https://saintmaryssports.com/news/2018/8/20/fano-named-head-mens-basketball-coach.aspx?path=mbball

Good luck to Joe. He's stepping into a tough situation, as the Cardinals haven't had a winning campaign in over three decades, and they've suffered through 20-loss seasons in five of the last seven years.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

AndOne

How long does it take to get from Naperville to Chicago?  Sure, Naperville is a great city in its own right, but it can take 20 minutes to get from the edge of Naperville into downtown

Never mind Naperville to downtown Chicago. It can now sometimes take 20 minutes just to get from the edge of Naperville into downtown Naperville! 🐌

augie77

My reference all along was 20 minutes into downtown Naperville.

Gregory Sager

Ah, see, that's where you lost me, Steve. I automatically thought of downtown Chicago -- not because of civic pride but because of a sense of scale. Even though I've been in it, I still have a hard time conceiving of the center of Naperville as a genuine "downtown". To me, it's just the hub of an old village that is now surrounded by a sea of suburban tract developments, similar to much of the rest of suburban Chicagoland.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 20, 2018, 03:40:33 PM
Ah, see, that's where you lost me, Steve. I automatically thought of downtown Chicago -- not because of civic pride but because of a sense of scale. Even though I've been in it, I still have a hard time conceiving of the center of Naperville as a genuine "downtown". To me, it's just the hub of an old village that is now surrounded by a sea of suburban tract developments, similar to much of the rest of suburban Chicagoland.

Ah, another city guy who seldom ventures beyond the confines of the city limits, and who needs to get out a little more and expand his horizons.  ;)

Naperville has changed immeasurably over the recent years. Should you traverse Chicago Ave. in downtown Naperville on a Saturday night you might think you were visiting Rush Street in Chicago back in the heyday. In fact, the area is often referred to as Rush Street West. A conglomerate of bars almost all with long lines awaiting being admitted, 5 or 6 police cars parked in the middle of the street, and thousands of revelers from the Naperville/Aurora area, and other suburbs like Roselle, Schaumburg, Hoffman Estates, and others up to 15-20 miles away, bar hopping and milling about.
Aside from the bars, there are a plethora of chain and independent restaurants and retail stores. And downtown is in the middle of the Historic District of homes built in the late 1800s and early 1900s—anything but a totality of suburban tract developments. There is also the landscaped Riverwalk which meanders through downtown, and the new Water Street District development featuring a hotel and more upscale shops and restaurants is only a block west. A true downtown which has become somewhat of an anchor for all the other area suburbs lacking such diversity.  8-)

augie77

As a former resident of adjacent Woodridge, and having been married in Naperville, I have to say "here here" to AO's assessment of the city (that's Naperville, Gregory--not Chicago  ;D).  There really is life west of Harlem Avenue.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: augie77 on August 20, 2018, 04:44:31 PM
As a former resident of adjacent Woodridge, and having been married in Naperville, I have to say "here here" to AO's assessment of the city (that's Naperville, Gregory--not Chicago  ;D).  There really is life west of Harlem Avenue.

One of my brothers taught math at Oak Park/River Forest HS his entire career.  I think he may have crossed to the EAST of Harlem Avenue 3 times in 40 years! ;D