MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titan Q

MWC has suspended Fall and Winter sports through 12/31/20.

https://midwestconference.org/news/2020/7/27/general-midwest-conference-suspends-competition-for-the-rest-of-2020.aspx

I'm sure there are a few CCIW vs MWC basketball games on the schedule -- for example, IWU's opener was supposed to be vs Lake Forest.

AndOne

Well, with no football to watch/post about this fall, and with a totally up in the air date with regard to when (IF?) the 2020-2021 basketball season might be played, it appears there might very well not be a whole lot of competition to post about for the foreseeable future. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Accordingly, as I mentioned on the football board, I'm thinking that after 14 years and some 6,300 posts, the time might be right for this old poster to hit the retirement trail, and ride off into the sunset to enjoy life at the Poster's Retirement Home. As I said in the football venue, this site doesn't need me or anyone else to thrive. Plus, those all-knowing individuals that I've (so far) pissed of 1,359 times, will likely be smiling from ear-to-ear.  ;D

Greek Tragedy

Some people aren't happy unless they are pissed off. May as well use this "time off" to re-energize yourself and come back even more annoying!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on July 27, 2020, 06:06:06 PM
Well, with no football to watch/post about this fall, and with a totally up in the air date with regard to when (IF?) the 2020-2021 basketball season might be played, it appears there might very well not be a whole lot of competition to post about for the foreseeable future. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Accordingly, as I mentioned on the football board, I'm thinking that after 14 years and some 6,300 posts, the time might be right for this old poster to hit the retirement trail, and ride off into the sunset to enjoy life at the Poster's Retirement Home. As I said in the football venue, this site doesn't need me or anyone else to thrive. Plus, those all-knowing individuals that I've (so far) pissed of 1,359 times, will likely be smiling from ear-to-ear.  ;D

You just have to be creative. I've really gotten into second division Italian soccer.  Frosinone (a very fun name to say out loud) has an American striker, is in the thick of the promotion battle, and can usually be found on a live stream somewhere. Big match Friday!
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

voxelmhurst

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 28, 2020, 09:20:50 AM
You just have to be creative. I've really gotten into second division Italian soccer.  Flosinone (a very fun name to say out loud) has an American striker, is in the thick of the promotion battle, and can usually be found on a live stream somewhere. Big match Friday!

...and here I thought that I was weird for taking a liking to lesser known Serie A side Sassuolo, who, it could be argued with a few giant leaps involved, implement a calcio version of The System.

Gotberg

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 28, 2020, 09:20:50 AM
Quote from: AndOne on July 27, 2020, 06:06:06 PM

You just have to be creative. I've really gotten into second division Italian soccer.  Frosinone (a very fun name to say out loud) has an American striker, is in the thick of the promotion battle, and can usually be found on a live stream somewhere. Big match Friday!

And from CCIW territory too:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrija_Novakovich

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Nice tribute by North Park basketball alumnus Rus Bradburd in yesterday's Chicago Tribune to his former boss on the New Mexico State coaching staff, Lou Henson, who died last week:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/opinion/commentary/ct-opinion-lou-henson-coach-rus-bradburd-20200730-awcg5f4qb5hkpaptpwj4vaxsu-story.html
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

‪I'm hearing 2 things about CCIW hoops...‬

‪1) The league is discussing a conf-only regular season, starting in January.‬

‪2) There are discussions about Wash U and Chicago joining the CCIW for 2020-21...but neither would be eligible for the AQ.‬

‪Nothing final.‬

WUPHF

Quote from: Titan Q on August 12, 2020, 01:26:26 PM
‪2) There are discussions about Wash U and Chicago joining the CCIW for 2020-21...but neither would be eligible for the AQ.‬

‪Nothing final.‬

This would be a lot of fun actually though I was hoping the entire team would take the year off instead.

It would be interesting how the league modifies the schedules as surely, the standard round robin is not possible.  Or maybe I am missing something.  CCIW North and South maybe.

Titan Q

Quote from: WUPHF on August 12, 2020, 01:42:00 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on August 12, 2020, 01:26:26 PM

‪Nothing final.‬

This would be a lot of fun actually though I was hoping the entire team would take the year off instead.

It would be interesting how the league modifies the schedules as surely, the standard round robin is not possible.  Or maybe I am missing something.  CCIW North and South maybe.

It would definitely be fun if it happens.

I'm guessing there would be divisions.

Gregory Sager

I would envision an intradivisional double round-robin and an interdivisional single round-robin.

The problem is that adding both UAA schools doesn't alleviate the problem of an odd number of teams, which means divisional imbalance -- and, if you're scheduling by division, whether it's single round-robin or double round-robin, the divisional imbalance results in a schedule imbalance as well.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 12, 2020, 02:11:21 PM
I would envision an intradivisional double round-robin and an interdivisional single round-robin.

The problem is that adding both UAA schools doesn't alleviate the problem of an odd number of teams, which means divisional imbalance -- and, if you're scheduling by division, whether it's single round-robin or double round-robin, the divisional imbalance results in a schedule imbalance as well.

The NJAC today announced a single round-robin (nine games) for MBB and WBB this season, starting Jan. 20. I'm guessing that will be more the norm of where we end up in the event we are able to have basketball this season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

That's a good point. The idea of a 15-to-18-game regular season for the CCIW, depending upon divisional configuration and the number of round-robin passes through the circuit, might be too ambitious -- especially if games don't start immediately after New Year's Day.

blue_jays

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 12, 2020, 03:56:13 PM
That's a good point. The idea of a 15-to-18-game regular season for the CCIW, depending upon divisional configuration and the number of round-robin passes through the circuit, might be too ambitious -- especially if games don't start immediately after New Year's Day.

There won't be games immediately after NYD mostly because if the students are coming back from far flung places over the holidays, they likely need to self quarantine for a number of days. Schools are creating acclimation buffers now which can last a week or two before regular activities resume.