Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 02, 2014, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: narch on September 28, 2013, 10:49:00 PM
these are my last words on this subject
Last words.  Really?

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 28, 2013, 04:46:16 PMI do however debate the ability of anyone to judge/evaluate the talents of any player "sight unseen".
these are my last words on this subject - i don't have to see a player to get a picture of his ability...i've read all of the posts about him on these boards, most from people who have seen him play (and most which question his ability to be an sec qb), i've talked to coaches and former coaches who have seen him in person and on film and i've seen the numbers he has put up on the d3 level...most importantly, i've seen the fact that he isn't on a d1 (or sec) roster

the sec is a high reward/high consequence league...those coaches have plenty of incentive to make sure their 85 scholarships are being given to guys who can play - if any of the 4 sec teams that offered him in high school thought he could help them, i believe he would have been offered by them when he left ut - last i checked, vandy was a pretty good place to get an education, certainly above the level of any odac school in terms of national academic reputation...he could choose vandy and still be choosing to get an education - if he's good enough to start at the majority of d1 programs as you say and is a legit sec qb as you imply, why isn't he at a place like vandy? let's take a step down from the sec...why isn't he at a place like duke or wake forest or northwestern or furman or w&m or richmond...all really good schools where an sec caliber qb could get a great education AND not have to pay for it? the likely answer is that none of those coaches thought he could help them...if almost every d1 coach felt he wasn't good enough to play for them, i don't have to see him play to know he isn't an sec qb...i trust those coaches and their judgement

HSCTiger fan - a little context is always helpful, so i provided it above...in september we were discussing nash nance as a legitimate, viable d1/sec quarterback...that's a bit different from comparing his 2013 season with that of max reber - i don't believe i've said anything more about nance's legitimacy as a d1/sec qb, but feel free to pull up all of my posts and quote it if you do find one

Pat Coleman

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on July 02, 2014, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 28, 2013, 04:46:16 PMI do however debate the ability of anyone to judge/evaluate the talents of any player "sight unseen".
these are my last words on this subject

Last words.  Really?

Wow -- gotta flag you for quoting so far out of context. This isn't a 24-hour news station.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

narch

Quote from: tigerfanalso on July 02, 2014, 05:36:42 PMThe MVP in the Super Bowl always comes from the winning team, etc, etc. That has always been the case and will not likely change in my lifetime.
close...but not quite always

QuoteSuper Bowl V

On January 17th, 1971, in Miami, Florida, Jim O'Brien kicked a last second field goal to lift his Baltimore Colts over the Dallas Cowboys 16-13 in Super Bowl 5. Super Bowl Five had many firsts; the Colts were down at half, the outcome was within a score, the game was played on artificial turf, the MVP came from the losing team, and it was the first Super Bowl in a merged NFL . Earl Morrall relieved Johnny Unitas late in the first half, but it was Johnny U who threw the Colts lone touchdown pass. A ball tipped by Eddie Hinton and Mel Renfro eventually landing in the grasp of John Mackey who ran for a 75 yard score. Linebacker, Chuck Howley took home MVP honors in the losing effort.
not only was howley the (first and to this point only) mvp on a losing team, he was also the first defensive player to win the award

i also think using the mvp of a single game is an inept comparison - all-conference, all-region and all-american awards are based upon a full season, not one game - i don't disagree that these awards typically go to players whose teams go to the playoffs...that isn't in question at all...but i have shown empirical evidence that max reber had a better 2013 season than any other qb in the region (and, more specifically, nash nance) - his team won a share of the conference championship for the 2nd time in school history and the first time since 2005, so he led his team to victory - the 8-2 record (the same regular season record as hsc, by the way) the monarchs achieved in the regular season was 2nd best in school history and one of the best win-loss records in the country - the only thing missing was a trip to the playoffs, but i ask you, how does this diminish what he did over the course of a 10 game regular season? was russell wilson a better qb in 2013 than tony romo because the seahawks won the super bowl? in 2012, was joe flacco a better qb than drew brees? by almost any statistical measure, the answer is no, but both wilson and flacco won the super bowl while romo and brees didn't make the playoffs, so wilson and flacco must have been better in those respective seasons, right?

my claim that max reber was the best qb in the region in 2013, while not validated by a somewhat flawed voting process (in my opinion), is based in statistical truth - sure, i'm biased, which is why i continue to sound the trumpet, but i can step away from my bias and back up my opinion with numbers, facts, figures and pretty charts :)

Allen C

How is the host of the USA South Media Day determined? Seems like this is the second time recently that Maryville has hosted, I know it has been at CNU in the last 3-4 years, and at Averett. Can anyone tell me if has ever been at Ferrum?
BEWARE THE BLACK HATS!

Scots13

Quote from: Allen C on July 03, 2014, 08:57:29 PM
How is the host of the USA South Media Day determined? Seems like this is the second time recently that Maryville has hosted, I know it has been at CNU in the last 3-4 years, and at Averett. Can anyone tell me if has ever been at Ferrum?

I have no idea and I doubt anyone other than the ADs, coaches, and conference officials know.  Maybe they have a drawing or it's won at a game of poker.  It was at MC 4 years ago, I believe. Last two? were at Averett. Pat said last year AU was fairly central in the conference..MC isn't, so beats me.

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Newd report saying MC will play East Tennessee State (re-instated FCS) week 2 of the 2015 season, and they (ETSU) will also play E&H week 4, for all you ODAC guys keeping track of the USAC.

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/25959983/etsu-football-will-host-maryville-college-in-2015

No idea why a Toledo source would put this out..
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Pat Coleman

A lot of news sites just harvest the AP wire and automatically put out stories.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Scots13

MC is in the others receiving votes section of the preseason poll. Call it 29th if you want to, I'll call it getting the program on track. Can't wait for the season the begin so we can get back in the top 25!
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

CNU85

Quote from: Scots13 on July 16, 2014, 05:49:23 PM
MC is in the others receiving votes section of the preseason poll. Call it 29th if you want to, I'll call it getting the program on track. Can't wait for the season the begin so we can get back in the top 25!

Nice! Congrats!

jknezek

Scots fans... passed through your campus on Wednesday on my way up to Gatlinburg. Family trip and we stopped off at The Lost Sea Adventure (I'm a sucker for 50s style roadside attractions!) and then the GPS took us up through Maryville. My wife got annoyed when I jumped off route to take a quick peak at the campus, but who knows when I'd get a chance again? Very nice campus from what I saw out the motor home windows.

Scots13

It is a nice campus, but of course I'm biased. The school is planning on renovating several of the older buildings on campus and are currently redoing the interior of Anderson Hall, the namesake of the College's founder (he was a graduate ofW&L, before it was W&L). The Lost Sea is a cool place to go. Cases Cove is another spot to go that's fun to ride through. +k for making your wife ride through campus ;D
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

We hit Cades Cove in the Smokies as well. Got an amazing picture of the meadow backed up by the mountains wreathed in "smoke" (rain clouds...). Had a blast. If you can't have fun with a family in Gatlinburg you should just give up. Didn't much enjoy going over 321N to Pigeon Forge in the motor home towing my car, one switchback had me a little unhappy, but live and learn. The Lost Sea was neat, not something I need to do again...

Scots13

Looks like some media guys like the USA South name. Can't say that I blame them.
http://bit.ly/1kbUTdH

I wonder what they'd say if the conference was still the Dixie? ::)
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hampton U SID

Well, the Dixie gets mentioned at #10 (albeit a tongue-n-cheek way)

Scots13

I was at work during the event today, but I watching the archived video now.
Coach Adams....wow. Very impressed. I bet this guy can recruit some guys to Danville.

Hold on to him, Averett. He might prove to be one hell of a hire.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!