FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: SUPirate on September 06, 2018, 02:36:26 PM
I am new to D3 Football as my son is a freshman this year and I just found this sight a few days ago.  Nice to chat and see what is going on around the conference.

Welcome to the boards! Glad to have a Southwestern fan on board!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SUPirate

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 06, 2018, 02:47:09 PM
I am new to D3 Football as my son is a freshman this year and I just found this sight a few days ago.  Nice to chat and see what is going on around the conference.

Are there many Pirate fans on board? All I see are mostly UMHB and HSU.
Hard work may not always result in success, but it will never result in regret!!

crufootball

Quote from: bleedpurple on September 06, 2018, 02:08:43 PM
Quote from: crufootball on September 06, 2018, 11:52:47 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on September 06, 2018, 11:35:15 AM
Quote from: crufootball on September 06, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
UMHB game notes are posted. A lot of new players making their first appearance on the 2 deep but not really that many freshmen and only 1 is starting.

Big note is the starting QB, which is Luke Poorman.....OR Jace Hammack who according to the notes are battling with Will Channey for the starting job.

https://cruathletics.com/news/2018/9/6/football-kicks-off-2018-season-saturday-at-albright.aspx

2-deep games are so dumb.  What edge does UMHB think they need against Albright?  Because after Game 1, there's no surprise anymore.  So what is it about this game and this opponent that they need to obfuscate the identity of the starting quarterback right up until kickoff?  The continuing charade that Poorman isn't going to be the quarterback of this team is lame and pointless.

Prehaps you are right Wally but if this is a charade it has been kept up in all communications and on the field. Luke did start the scrimmage and played better than Jace but according to Coach Pete Jace outplayed Luke in the inter squad. Also news this week is that DeNerian Thomas has switched from WR to QB in an effort to get on the field more and on the Coaches Show on Tuesday night Coach Pete said all 3 would probably see the field on Saturday.

I know pretty much all coaches say this but Coach Pete really wants the QB to win not only the job but the team. This process allows him to ensure that Luke or Jace or anyone else plenty of time to do just that.

Watching this from afar, this is just bizarre to me.  IMO, QB is not a position that you want to rotate people in to get them on the field.   Not a big fan of rotating QB's.  There seems to already be solid competition at the position, why switch a WR to QB?

With this WR I am guessing he may have volunteered to do it. He has been playing mainly in the shadow of Bryce Wilkerson who was one of the starting WR's and the main return man for punts and kicks. However a new year has brought more talent to the receiving core and a former Texas A&M track athlete appears to have won the returner job. Also DeNerian was a do it all athlete in high school which included a good deal of time as QB and took the team to the state championships. My bet is his time at QB will be in times we want to do a Wildcat formation and then we don't have to use TJ Josey in those situations.

MUC57

SUPirate

Welcome to the boards. Nice to have some Southwestern representation on this board. Oh, don't mind me. I'm an old Mount Union alum from the OAC board, but I roam around.
Pat Coleman and staff do a great job keeping this site going. You'll have fun and can even learn lots of stuff.
Best to your son in school. Go Pirates. Go Raiders! In fact, Go Everybody! ☠🏈

Also gave you a +K just to help you get going!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CruGuy on September 06, 2018, 02:23:09 PM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 05, 2018, 09:55:59 PM
Southwestern has a different mission and vision.

Here are the schools that Southwestern considers its peers.

http://colleges.org/colleges/

Ralph, would you mind elaborating a little bit on your point here. It looks like 12 of these 15 sister schools have football, and all twelve have an on campus stadium from cursory internet searches.
Thank you.

Austin College and University of Dallas were charter members of the ASC.

When University of Dallas decided its mission and vision were no longer in line with the ASC (about 2001), they became an independent. They accepted an affiliation in the North East Athletic Conference in 2008-09 and 2009-10 trying to get access to the playoffs, before moving to the SCAC in 2011-12, where they had wanted to be all along. The SAA forms in 2012-2013.

When Austin College determined that the ASC members did not have the same mission and vision that AC did, they moved to the SCAC in 2006.

Texas Lutheran and Schreiner accepted the invitation to move to the SCAC when the SAA formed.  The SCAC conference presidents knew whom they wanted to add to rebuild the  SCAC in 2013-2014, after the SAA-7 left.

Southwestern and Texas Lutheran (plus Trinity and Austin College) tried to make a go of the SCAC as a football conference. However, Colorado College, which had a football tradition since 1882, dropped football after 2008 and never re-started it. Centenary was in the ASC for 1 year on their move down from D-1, and did not add football when they became D-3. Schreiner did not add football when they had the chance to start football in conference that did not have UMHB, HSU, ETBU and other strong programs.  UDallas considered adding football about 2004 but it never gained momentum. Trinity and AC appealed to their old friends in the SAA and were able to go back as a football affiliate in the SAA. IMHO, TLU and Southwestern are only affiliate members in football in the ASC, so that they can fill a 10 game schedule.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: SUPirate on September 06, 2018, 02:54:37 PM

+1! SUPirate, welcome aboard.

Toby Taff

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 06, 2018, 02:10:07 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on September 06, 2018, 06:49:07 AM
Quote from: crufootball on September 05, 2018, 09:52:19 PM
I'll get behind the Battle for the Republic tag if you will join the Battle for the Hardin Family Fortune bowl haha
Battle for the hardin family fortune is hard because the hardin family gave generously to education.  it would have to be something like the Hardin family cup and include HSU, UMHB, McM, and HPU @ the D3 level because they gave to all of those schools. But i'd get behind something like that.
To my knowledge, McMurry did not receive any Hardin family money.

What became Midwestern State (Hardin Junior College) in Wichita Falls did, plus Simmons College, Abilene Christian College, Baylor Female College, Howard Payne College and the Buckner orphanage in Dallas were the primary benrficiaries of the Hardin philanthropy.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fha62
https://texoso66.com/2015/01/28/the-generosity-of-the-john-g-hardin-family/
this is the article i was looing at.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

wally_wabash

Quote from: crufootball on September 06, 2018, 03:08:16 PM
My bet is his time at QB will be in times we want to do a Wildcat formation and then we don't have to use TJ Josey in those situations.

I'm just going to stay perplexed that y'all got this kid to transfer from Mount freaking Union and are going to keep doing gymnastics to try and figure out how to not let him play.  None of this makes any actual sense.   
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Toby Taff

Welcome aboard SUPirate. I have good friends who have a daughter that started SU this year. I now have 2 at UMHB and will gladly take donations by paypal.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Toby Taff

Quote from: wally_wabash on September 06, 2018, 03:51:56 PM
Quote from: crufootball on September 06, 2018, 03:08:16 PM
My bet is his time at QB will be in times we want to do a Wildcat formation and then we don't have to use TJ Josey in those situations.

I'm just going to stay perplexed that y'all got this kid to transfer from Mount freaking Union and are going to keep doing gymnastics to try and figure out how to not let him play.  None of this makes any actual sense.   
i hear you, but jase was a qb @ a D1 school (and McMurry  ??? ??? ???) so i'm guessing he has some talent.

SUPirate

Quote from: MUC57 on September 06, 2018, 03:41:11 PM
SUPirate

Welcome to the boards. Nice to have some Southwestern representation on this board. Oh, don't mind me. I'm an old Mount Union alum from the OAC board, but I roam around.
Pat Coleman and staff do a great job keeping this site going. You'll have fun and can even learn lots of stuff.
Best to your son in school. Go Pirates. Go Raiders! In fact, Go Everybody! ☠🏈

Also gave you a +K just to help you get going!

Thanks! I'm still trying to educate myself on D3 Football and all the teams as I thought we were headed to Midwestern State or San Angelo State. Then SU gave a pretty good push and he decided on the location and I guess being closer to his girlfriend. DII or DIII didn't matter to him, he just wanted to get an education and play football and Southwestern is a good school. Just a little more cost for me. So now we are Pirates!
Hard work may not always result in success, but it will never result in regret!!

SUPirate

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 06, 2018, 03:46:02 PM
Quote from: SUPirate on September 06, 2018, 02:54:37 PM

+1! SUPirate, welcome aboard.

Thanks!

SUPirate

Quote from: Toby Taff on September 06, 2018, 03:56:44 PM
Welcome aboard SUPirate. I have good friends who have a daughter that started SU this year. I now have 2 at UMHB and will gladly take donations by paypal.

Thanks! I hear ya about the donations. I thought I had this all a lot cheaper until the very end. Then bam! Changed his mind!

Toby Taff

assuming the attachment works this is what im thinking for a tshirt design. Think i might make some in black and some in purple and just give them away. Guerilla advertise a tag for the game,

Toby Taff

Quote from: SUPirate on September 06, 2018, 04:05:31 PM
Quote from: Toby Taff on September 06, 2018, 03:56:44 PM

Thanks! I hear ya about the donations. I thought I had this all a lot cheaper until the very end. Then bam! Changed his mind!
Dear Daughter 2 was going to UT Dallas, and then swerved toward the end of her senior year.