BB: General NY Region Talk

Started by Bob Maxwell, October 18, 2007, 02:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will represent the New York Region in the Division III Baseball World Series?

SUNY Cortland
7 (43.8%)
Ithaca
0 (0%)
Stevens
1 (6.3%)
Rochester
2 (12.5%)
Non-Region Team
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

NYbaseballguy

I will take a shot at this.  First timer!  I will obviously go with Cortland in the SUNYAC.  For the next 30 years.  No offense to anyone else, especially Oswego but this may be the most one sided conference in the country in terms of the preseason favorite year in and year out.  Liberty League is a tough one.  I will take the Rochester teams and Clarkson.  Union maybe.  No clue.  Stevens and Fisher in the Empire 8.  Ithaca just didn't look good when I saw them last spring.  Fisher gets those teams at home, returns the rotation, I will take them by a nose over Stevens.  No clue about the other league down by the city.  Farmingdale?

Jim Dixon

Quote from: NYbaseballguy on February 03, 2016, 05:39:17 PM
I will take a shot at this.  First timer!  I will obviously go with Cortland in the SUNYAC.  For the next 30 years.  No offense to anyone else, especially Oswego but this may be the most one sided conference in the country in terms of the preseason favorite year in and year out.  Liberty League is a tough one.  I will take the Rochester teams and Clarkson.  Union maybe.  No clue.  Stevens and Fisher in the Empire 8.  Ithaca just didn't look good when I saw them last spring.  Fisher gets those teams at home, returns the rotation, I will take them by a nose over Stevens.  No clue about the other league down by the city.  Farmingdale?

Cortland winning the SUNYAC is just the third most one-sided conference.  Webster and St. Scholastica are automatic locks nearly every year.  At least Cortland gets pushed by someone.

D3SportsFan

Over the past 5 years, 3 games have been the closest difference twice between Cortland and 2nd place (Oswego in 2013 & 2015). None of the other 5 teams have challenged Cortland for a while.

Hard to believe that there are other conferences that more one-sided with a conference champion!

NYbaseballguy

I agree!!  Thanks to Mr. Dixon for finding a couple other programs who enjoy that type of dominance.  Us snowbirds here in NY don't have a lot of info. on those teams.

DucksBB

Stevens with a big win today over #6 Kean University 3-2 in 10 innings at Kean.  Great pitching on both sides.....nothing but zeroes posted after the second inning until the tenth.  Ducks pitchers allow 3 infield hits and no earned runs.  Offense gets 9 hits.  Great season opener!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: NYbaseballguy on February 10, 2016, 10:34:05 AM
I agree!!  Thanks to Mr. Dixon for finding a couple other programs who enjoy that type of dominance.  Us snowbirds here in NY don't have a lot of info. on those teams.
Welcome NYBaseball guy.

On the front page of d3baseball.com you can find each of the conferences and their schedules.

The website has an incredible wealth of information.

DucksBB

The regional preview finally got released today in case anyone missed it.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2016/01/preview/newyork-preview

John McGraw

Quote from: DucksBB on March 09, 2016, 07:12:15 PM
The regional preview finally got released today in case anyone missed it.

http://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2016/01/preview/newyork-preview

Hey guys....Sorry, was super busy and didn't have time to sit and write. The last month or so has been really hectic. We're currently adding individual conference previews as well to the main New York preview.

D3SportsFan

Many NY Region teams have played a dozen games or more, here are my thoughts on a VERY EARLY regional ranking up to this point:

1. Cortland (15-3)
2. Brockport (12-5)
3. Oswego (11-3)
4. St. John Fisher (8-6)
5. Stevens (7-8)
6. Old Westbury (11-6)

Most conferences will start league play this weekend, if not started already, so more can be determined moving forward.

Other thoughts or input?

John McGraw

Quote from: D3SportsFan on March 24, 2016, 10:38:19 AM
Many NY Region teams have played a dozen games or more, here are my thoughts on a VERY EARLY regional ranking up to this point:

1. Cortland (15-3)
2. Brockport (12-5)
3. Oswego (11-3)
4. St. John Fisher (8-6)
5. Stevens (7-8)
6. Old Westbury (11-6)

No real issue with this. It's still fairly early.

jdex

Quote from: D3SportsFan on March 24, 2016, 10:38:19 AM

1. Cortland (15-3)
2. Brockport (12-5)
3. Oswego (11-3)
4. St. John Fisher (8-6)
5. Stevens (7-8)
6. Old Westbury (11-6)

Most conferences will start league play this weekend, if not started already, so more can be determined moving forward.

Other thoughts or input?

Actually have no problem with top five  .... Stevens No. 5 fine ....

OK with top four at the moment but would reverse Bport and Oswego. Yes, we know, Oswego 1-2 in the conference, Bport 3-0. Tough to figure Oswego dropping a pair (and the first pair at that) to Fredonia before romping in  the third series game. Just as surprising of course was Cortland going 1-for-3 vs. New Paltz. Oswego gives the appearance of hitting its stride early, Cortland not so much. And we have more questions about CSt than OSt.

As for No. 5? A mess of possibilities although none match Old Westbury's 11 wins vs. a so-so slate. OW just lost this week to 6-9 Baruch after two easy wins over the same club to start the season. And did anyone else do a double-take over RIT's 15-inning win over highly regarded Southern Maine. Not that RIT has been any great shakes at all. And UR edging Brockport. Could be just that kind of a season.

NYbaseballguy

A very fair assessment of the top teams in the region... Don't forget, RIT was a couple innings away from winning the Liberty League last year.  Cortland and Fisher have ducked no one...and Brockport, Stevens and Oswego can pretty much say the same.  This region is VERY competitive nationally right now.  I would throw Union in there at 5 or 6.  Their ace is very good and they would have to be considered the favorite to win the LL this year.  But, all in all, that's a good list.

D3SportsFan

Yes, my thoughts on the top 6 were based on their overall record along with who they have won/loss to up to this point. Without using any formulas or algorithms, it was a list put together based on what was visible on the surface.

A lot more will play out as conferences begin and continue league play.

NYbaseballguy

We have a pretty good sample size now for the region..here is my rankings, have at it.
1. Oswego St.
2. Cortland St.
3. St. John Fisher

I think these three have separated themselves.  Honestly, I think you could put them in a hat at this point.  Cortland looks vulnerable but with that said, they pulled a couple rabbits out their hats last year in the regional and catapulted to a national championship.  I think Fisher could easily come out of this region as well...they are beating people up pretty good right now and have played a real good schedule.

After that... Union, Stevens, whoever comes out of the downstate league, Rochester, RIT, Brockport, Ithaca and maybe New Paltz but they had a rough weekend.  All these teams are dangerous and have enough pitching to win games. Union looks particularly interesting with the ace Fischman...he struck out 18 at U of Rochester this weekend.

D3SportsFan

One week late...additional thoughts on the first Regional Rankings?