MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Bengalsrule

So glad we proved the Magic 1 wrong.

Probably the best effort to date of this early season for my beloved BENGALS, as we take out Hobart 98-78. Led by Kevin Marmelejos 32 points ( broke the record of  3 ptrs held by Jake Simmons) wtih 10  3 ptrs to lead the BSC with 32 points (which more than doubled his pt output before todays game of 13 pts- 3 games total). Add 4 more players in double figures  - Mike Henry 12 pts, Jordan Chateau 11 pts/10 rebounds "double double", Dominic Grayer with 10 pts and Nico Mclean with 10 . And Oh... BTW (By The Way) Jordan Glover with 10 assists (with only 1 turnover). Add that all together along with a nother strong performance from the BENGALS bench and you have the makings of a game that...to be honest... was never close after the first 10 minutes. Had it not been for Jamal Lucas's 23 points in the first half for Hobart (0 pts 2nd half) this game could have been even worse for my brother Eric's alma - mater.

Good way to head into the Thanksgiving break. Undoubtly the biggest and toughest game on the BENGALS schedule is thier next 1 when the "mighty" Red Dragons of Cortland come to town on Friday December 4th, followed by pre - season "favorite"* Oswego the very next day, (to kick off the SUNYAC portion of the schedule). No doubt that these are 2 of the top teams in the east if not in the entire country (Oswego is cuurently ranked 35th in D3hoops). Not sure how many of the BENGALS will be able to enjoy their thanksgiving meal with thoughts of the Dragons and Lakers right around the corner! But I'm sure that they are gonna try to enjoy their holiday time. They defintly have plenty to be thankful for. I'm just glad that I have the opportunity to watch these young men begin to jell together while their leading scorer., Lovell Smith,  is still out. All indications are that he won't be back for at least another 3/4 weeks (possibly longer)! In the meantime...lets all get ready for turkey and football. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!! :)

* = Source - Magicman

7express

Sorry for barging in here where I don't belong, but have a happy & safe Thanksgiving Bengals & Magicman!

magicman

Not even my crystal ball could foresee that said player, Mr. Marmelejos, who had a grand total of 13 made 3 pointers in his 24 prior games in a Buffalo State uniform, would erupt like Mount Vesuvius and pour in 10 bombs in one night. And don't anybody with the Bengals name in their moniker or anyone affiliated with Buffalo State hoops, try and tell me that they saw this outburst coming either. Cause if they do, their nose is gonna grow and their pants will catch fire.

Young Mr. Marmelejos would be well served to retrace his steps for the entire 24 hour period leading up to this game and write them down. He has apparently hit upon some "magic" formula and as this prestidigitator has learned over the years, leave nothing to chance, because if you find a system that works, then stick with it.

Congratulations to Kevin for breaking Jake's record. 8-) I watched Jake on video the night he buried his 9 triples against my Cardinals on 1-21-2012 ( we learned from that...he only got 7 against us 2 weeks later). Tonight I managed to see about half of those 10 3's. I was a bit surprised that when Kevin got that offensive rebound late in the first half he didn't do a heat check and dribble out to the 3 point line and fire up another one. Why spoil things by making a measley 2 point putback. ???  Nice to see Kevin didn't play favorites...he was 5x7 from long distance in the first half and 5x7 from long distance in the 2nd half. Someday, someone make break his record, but I bet they won't match his synchronicity. ;D

I suppose this record setting performance makes Kevin a leading candidate for the next SUNYAC Player of the Week award. Back to back Bengals to start the year? I would have bet against that. :o   

magicman

Quote from: 7express on November 25, 2015, 01:13:29 AM
Sorry for barging in here where I don't belong, but have a happy & safe Thanksgiving Bengals & Magicman!

Hey 7,
You're always welcome to barge in here. And right back at back at you with the Thanksgiving wishes. It's going to be a good one with nice mild temperatures over the next few days. Love El Nino, hope it keeps on keeping on.

magicman

Skidmore 94  Plattsburgh 69

Too tired to write up my thoughts on this game when I got home at 1:15 AM early Tuesday morning. Almost got in an accident about 50 miles from home as I came around a curve on the Northway and a Deer was right square in the headlights. He took about 2 steps to the left and froze as I swerved to the right. If my drivers side window was rolled down I could have touched him as I went by. At the speed I was going it wouldn't have been pretty. Pulled into a rest area a couple of miles down the road and sat there for about 10 minutes to let the adrenalin wear off.

Should have stayed home and watched this game on the video feed to avoid the aggravation. One of the worst officiated games I've attended in quite some time. I knew soon as I spotted the 3 officials that it was going to be a long night. I've had to sit through enough of their games over the years to groan when I see them. We didn't lose because of the officiating but all the fans present, lost, because these officials were so whistle happy, rather than letting the guys play ball. There was no flow to the game because the whistles were constantly going off. They made plenty of bad calls on both teams as they called a total of 62 personal fouls and a pair of technicals on Plattsburgh that were absolutely laughable. They were so inconsistent with their calls, calling a lot of ticky tacky stuff that occurred quite a distance from the basket, yet guys were getting hammered inside  and no calls were made. On one play I watched Skidmore's Edvinas Rupkus drive to the basket and get a forearm right across the face so hard his nose was bloodied. No call. I saw Ed Correa for Plattsburgh get knocked to the floor on an attempted shot and when a Skidmore player tripped over him as Ed's hitting the floor, the ref calls a foul on Correa. When Ed starts to protest, he gets nailed with a technical. About a minute later Plattsburgh's coach is talking to an official on the sideline at half court. All of a sudden the ref underneath the basket 50 feet away blows his whistle and T's up the coach who wasn't even talking to him. Sad state of affairs.

Skidmore played very well. Plattsburgh played like the young team that they are. The Thoroughbreds returned more veterans than the Cardinals did and they also have some excellent shooters. Those shooters got open all night long and made the Cardinals pay. Plattsburgh seemed lost on the defensive end so many times and Skidmore was quick to rotate the ball and find the open man. They were also able to dribble drive to the hoop throughout the night as Plattsburgh defenders either failed to pick up the ball handler or make the necessary switches in time to prevent them from scoring easy layups. The two most telling statistics: points in the paint, Skidmore 36...Plattsburgh 20 (most of those by Kyle Richardson) and 3 point shooting, Skidmore 11x26, 42.3% good for 33 points...Plattsburgh 4x19, 21.1% good for 12 points. That's your ballgame.

Skidmore came out of the gate and went straight for the lead just like American Pharoah. They were up 8-0 and when Plattsburgh closed to within 12-8, the Thoroughbreds shifted into high gear and opened up a 22-8 advantage. They continued to lead by double digits thoughout the remainder of the period and attained their biggest margin of 18 points at 44-26 with 3:11 left in the half. The Cardinals would end the period with an 8-2 run to cut the score to 46-34 at the break.

Needing to narrow the gap and get back into the game the Cardinals needed something to happen quickly as play resumed. After Skidmore's Erik Sanders hit another 3 pointer to start the 2nd half and go up by 15 the Cardinals with 5 points by Kyle Richardson and a 3 pointer from Owen Mitchell managed to get the lead down to single digits at 49-42.  A 3 pointer by Skidmore's Rupkus was offset by a triple from Richardson. A 10-3 run capped off with another 3 pointer by Skidmore's Issac Carp boosted the lead back to 14. With 11 minutes left to play, Richardson made a pair of free throws  that cut the lead to 11 points at 62-51, but any hope of a Cardinal comeback was derailed by a series of fouls over the next 1:15. 5 straight fouls called against Plattsburgh, 3 personals and 2 technicals, allowed the Thoroughbreds to open up a 22 point lead with 9:08 to play and this game was basically over. Plattsburgh made one final push to get to within 14 points at 75-61 with 5 minutes to go but  Skidmore remained in firm control of the outcome. Both coaches emptied their bench a short time later.

Issac Carp led the Thoroughbreds with 19 points and had 5 rebounds. Erik Sanders had 16 points and led the team with 7 rebounds. Edvinas Rupkis also had 16 points with 5 rebounds and Royce Paris had 13 points with 7 rebounds.

Of note was the fact that Aldin Medunjanin, Skidmore's preseason All American, left the game early with an injury to an ankle or leg. He limped off the court but remained on the bench for the entire game, so I'm hoping it was just a minor injury that will have him back in action before too long. He had 7 points and 3 rebounds in 10 minutes of action.   

Skidmore improves to 3-1 and will travel to The College of New Jersey on 12-1 at 7:00 PM

Plattsburgh got a career high in points and rebounds from Kyle Richardson in just his 2nd start in a Cardinal uniform. Kyle was a solid rotation player last year on a crowded, senior laden, Plattsburgh team and probably would have started at many other schools in Division III. He accepted his role as one of the first players off the bench last year and was the 2nd leading rebounder on the team with 5.6 rpg  and averaged 6.2 ppg. On Monday night he fought his way inside for 36 points and 15 rebounds to capture game honors in both categories. It marked the 2nd double-double of his Plattsburgh career. He was 8x13 from the field, 1x3 from long distance and 19x24 from the line. Xavier Thomas was the only other Cardinal in double figures as he had 11 points with 7 rebounds, 4 steals and 2 blocks. Another telling stat for the Cardinals on the negative side was only 4 assists by the entire team. That points out that there was way too much dribbling and not enough passing.

Plattsburgh falls to 1-1 on the young season and will return to action on 12-1 when they host another Liberty League team, the St Lawrence Saints at 8:00 PM.                         

Bengalsrule

Quote from: magicman on November 25, 2015, 02:05:28 AM

Hey 7,
You're always welcome to barge in here. And right back at back at you with the Thanksgiving wishes. It's going to be a good one with nice mild temperatures over the next few days. Love El Nino, hope it keeps on keeping on.

Ditto to what the Magic 1 said!  7express, you have always been a class act!!! 👍👍  Here's to hoping a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

Bengalsrule

....and while we are talking about Magicspeak.... You are right old sage 1.  No 1 saw that performance coming.  However I have concluded that it happened for 1 of 3 reasons

A Kevin knew that he wouldn't be able to get any shots up during the next 3 days at the sports arena so he got in some extras during the game or.....

B Kevin knew that Jake Simmons would be attending his first buff state game of the season and wanted to represent (since they both share the same jersey number) or.....

C Kevin heard, before the game, coach Ansari announce (in the locker room) that yesterday was coach Kevin Glover's ( top assistant) birthday and Kevin M wanted to send Kevin G out the door on a real Happy Birthday note!

Trust me my friend, it was a thing of beauty. Plus Kevin M is so quiet and humble so it made it even more enjoyable to see a guy, who sat out a week of practice earlier due to injury, get off like that!

Here's to hoping that you and Mrs Magic ( and all SUNYAC/D3 posters) have a great Thanksgiving!

Go Bengals!!

magicman

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 25, 2015, 10:48:03 AM
....and while we are talking about Magicspeak.... You are right old sage 1.  No 1 saw that performance coming.  However I have concluded that it happened for 1 of 3 reasons

A Kevin knew that he wouldn't be able to get any shots up during the next 3 days at the sports arena so he got in some extras during the game or.....

B Kevin knew that Jake Simmons would be attending his first buff state game of the season and wanted to represent (since they both share the same jersey number) or.....

C Kevin heard, before the game, coach Ansari announce (in the locker room) that yesterday was coach Kevin Glover's ( top assistant) birthday and Kevin M wanted to send Kevin G out the door on a real Happy Birthday note!

Trust me my friend, it was a thing of beauty. Plus Kevin M is so quiet and humble so it made it even more enjoyable to see a guy, who sat out a week of practice earlier due to injury, get off like that!

Here's to hoping that you and Mrs Magic ( and all SUNYAC/D3 posters) have a great Thanksgiving!

Go Bengals!!

Champ,

Reasons B and C for sure. No wonder he got the record. Didn't even notice that he was wearing Jake's old number. And with Jake in the building and Kevin Glover's birthday present it was a confluence of amazing coincidences that produced a "magical" moment. Happy for all the Bengals involved with the record breaking night. Nice win as well to help our SOS.

Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family, and all the fine folks from Bengal country that I've met over the years. Please give Jake Simmons a big hello for me. He was and still is my favorite Bengal Player and I go way back to before Randy Smith. Load Jake on the bus when you come to the North Country for your annual visit to Plattsburgh on January 9th. 8-)   

7express

Quote from: Bengalsrule on November 25, 2015, 10:30:52 AM
Quote from: magicman on November 25, 2015, 02:05:28 AM

Hey 7,

Ditto to what the Magic 1 said!  7express, you have always been a class act!!! 👍👍  Here's to hoping a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!!

Thanks guys +1 to you both!

magicman

Just realized that before Nico McLean was the YAC Player of the Week, the first award of the season went to Geneseo's John Decker for the games that took place on November 13th, 14th and 15th.

The Knights only had one game that weekend but Mr. Decker made his presence known with 34 points in his debut for Geneseo. A junior transfer from Division II Dominican, the 6'1" guard was 9x20 from the field 2x8 from long distance, and 14x16 from the line. He grabbed 10 rebounds to complete his double-double, making for a nice day at the office, as the Knights defeated Medaille 89-85 to open the season.

In looking at John's next 3 games I get a little confused. He started that first game and logged 38 minutes. His next game he came in off the bench ( ???) and scored another 34 points in a win over Alfred 81-78. He had better stats as he was 7x12 from the field, 6x8 from 3 point land and 14x14 from the line, with 5 rebounds in only 25 minutes of court time. In his 3rd game against Misericordia, an 88-63 Geneseo win, John again comes in off the bench, only plays 18 minutes and scores just 7 points. The game on Tuesday the 24th, against Morrisville State, was won by Geneseo in a big way, 89-64, but John does not show up in the box score. John got less playing time with each succeeding game. Usually when you score 34 points in your first game the opposite occurs and your playing time increases.

Wish there was a Geneseo poster on this board that could come on and tell us what's up with that? Maybe an injury after the first game and he is being brought along slowly and re-injures it in his 3rd game? Something is strange.

The Knights also have received a solid contribution from another newcomer on the team, junior Justin Ringen. Justin is a 6'5" guard who has scored 20 or more points in every game this year. I'm guessing that he also, transferred into Geneseo. Justin has started all 4 games averaging 22 ppg. He also averages 6 rebounds per game, 2.3 assists per game and is getting 32.5 minutes per game 

These 2 newcomers have provided the Knights with a whopping 47.0 points per game. I guess there is life after the loss of Gordon Lyons and Andy Drescher.             

jdex

Geneseo's J. Ringen likewise a Dominican transfer. Posted fairly good stats two years ago but wasn't on last season's stat sheet. Ringen a Long Island whiz as a schoolboy

And an update on Cortland's 6-6 J. Prendergast who was a solid freshman contributor last season. Is recovering from an injury and will probably miss first semester. RDragons already pretty deep. In fact, carrying a squad of 20. At Ithaca 12/1

Bengalsrule

Quote from: jdex on November 27, 2015, 02:07:11 PM

Geneseo's J. Ringen likewise a Dominican transfer. Posted fairly good stats two years ago but wasn't on last season's stat sheet. Ringen a Long Island whiz as a schoolboy

And an update on Cortland's 6-6 J. Prendergast who was a solid freshman contributor last season. Is recovering from an injury and will probably miss first semester. RDragons already pretty deep. In fact, carrying a squad of 20. At Ithaca 12/1

Jdex...are you excited about the red Dragons at Linfield tomorrow?  All of the SUNYAC and Empire 8 are pulling for them!!

magicman

It was nice to see Cortland get a win in the opening round of the NCAA football playoffs. Red Dragon players getting a cross country trip...have hit the Big Time, big time. Now we need Cortland to do to Linfield what Buffalo State did to Whitewater a few seasons ago. Unfortunately that's a heluva tall order. But up here in Plattsburgh, I sure will be rooting for the Red Dragons.

And in basketball I'll be rooting for Oswego to take care of Middlebury in the Rochester tournament. The Panthers came out of the gate slowly this year, but beating SUNYAC champs Oswego will give them a big lift. Lakers have to bring their A game. 

jdex

Yes, yes. Rooting for the RDragons this p.m. from Vols' country, but Linfield will be a handful -- at home with partisan crowd. Can do plenty of things including going airborne. That's been Cortland Achilles heel throughout the season, as well as its youth. The fact CSt took the Empire and then kayoed first round foe is quite the achievement for Coach Mac and his crew. Certainly know how to hang tough. We're good friends with Mac as well as Span. Class people. Team, coaches, etc. took off via charter on Thanksgiving on NCAA's dime. Of course, numbers were limited and Mac had tough task last weekend informing chosen few they wouldn't be making the 'once in a lifetime' trip ........and then .....some alumni to the rescue along with the brother of former coaching aide Matt Steenberg. Funds provided. That made Mac's day, not to mention those chosen few!! Appreciate the cheering sections from western and northern NY!!

By the way, Linfield with quite the D3 baseball program, though missing last season's World Series  won by Joe Brown's Cortlanders. Linfield for many years coached by Scott Brosius, who has left the post. Of course, NYers of Yankee colors remember his mvp infield play, yes?