BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Well if you are Cortland, while you might not admit it, you are definitely pulling for La Crosse to win today.  The Eagles decided to start Cejka, meaning he would likely be unavailable for the best-of-three series, while Trinity countered with their #4/5 guy.  (They legitimately have five top of the line starters, as all five have started a minimum of seven games and thrown at least 55 innings or more.

If Trinity wins, they will be back to the top of their rotation, while La Crosse would be without their #1.  Easy to see why Cortland fans would like the match-up with La Crosse more!!!
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Jack Parkman

Whatever Lacrosse needs to do they need to do it in a hurry or Trinity is going to run away with this one.

*And as I write that Trinity tags up on both second and first on a fly ball to center.  Trinity has been unbelievable aggressive the entire weekend and they have benefited from it, but I wonder if it will come back and bite them at some point today.

cubs

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 26, 2015, 12:37:04 PM
Whatever Lacrosse needs to do they need to do it in a hurry or Trinity is going to run away with this one.

*And as I write that Trinity tags up on both second and first on a fly ball to center.  Trinity has been unbelievable aggressive the entire weekend and they have benefited from it, but I wonder if it will come back and bite them at some point today.
I will say that I do think Trinity and Cortland were the best teams from each Pool.  If La Crosse can get a victory today, I would be surprised.  They just haven't done a whole lot offensively since Friday.

cubs

Quote from: cubs on May 26, 2015, 12:44:27 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 26, 2015, 12:37:04 PM

I will say that I do think Trinity and Cortland were the best teams from each Pool.  If La Crosse can get a victory today, I would be surprised.  They just haven't done a whole lot offensively since Friday.
And right on cue, La Crosse scores 9 runs over the course of four innings to turn a 3-0 deficit into a 9-3 lead as they head to the 8th inning....

In the process though, they have had to use both Cejka and Boushley, which will undoubtedly leave their rotation thin in the event they hold on and get six more outs.

La Crosse 9
Trinity 3

Rain Delay-Top 8th Inning

EDIT-Appears Rain Delay will last until at least 6:30 PM local time...

Brian R. Carroll

UWL advances to the championship series. Congratulations to the Eagles.

magicman

Cortland State wins the first game of the Championship Series by an 11-3 final score. First game tomorrow at 12:00 Noon EST.  2nd game at 3:30 PM EST if necessary. 

badgerwarhawk

The WIAC in the Northwoods League

Lakeshore: Lake Bachar, WW
Duluth: Brock Rude, La Crosse
Eau Claire: Brady Burzynski, Stout
Green Bay: Ben Messenger, Oshkosh; Tyler Kozlowski, Oshkosh
Kenosha: Andrew Brahier, Oshkosh
Wisconsin: Peter Jewell, Oshkosh; Cody Hanke, Stevens Point; Mike Nompleggi, WW; Daytona Bryden, WW
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Just Bill

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on June 01, 2015, 11:48:07 AM

Wisconsin: Peter Jewell, Oshkosh; Cody Hanke, Stevens Point; Mike Nompleggi, WW; Daytona Bryden, WW

Cool. This is a good time for D-III guys to make an impression in the NWL while many D-I guys are still playing in the NCAA Tournament. A good performance might convince the NWL team to keep a guy around even after the D-I guys come back.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

ShineTime

GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

Just Bill

Quote from: ShineTime on June 01, 2015, 01:55:43 PM
Wasn't hanke a senior.

His sophomore year was cut short by injury, so I'm guessing he was granted a redshirt season. He may not intend to play at UWSP next year if he already has his degree (so they listed him as a senior on the roster), but as long as he has a year of collegiate eligibility left he's still eligible to play in the NWL.

It's not uncommon in D-III for a player to be granted a medical redshirt, but then not use it because they choose to graduate and move on.

I don't know the situation, but that's my educated guess.

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

ShineTime

Thanks my guess is hanke will be back and hopefully watson.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

badgerwarhawk

A couple more I noticed today:

Wisconsin: Taylor Kohlway, La Crosse
La Crosse: Ben Cejka, La Crosse
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Baseball Geek

Quote from: Just Bill on June 01, 2015, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on June 01, 2015, 11:48:07 AM

Cool. This is a good time for D-III guys to make an impression in the NWL while many D-I guys are still playing in the NCAA Tournament. A good performance might convince the NWL team to keep a guy around even after the D-I guys come back.

Please pardon my ignorance . . . is it common for D-III players to be placed with a NWL team and then be cut part-way through the season when the D-I players become available?

Just Bill

Yes. Players do come and go from NWL teams. Some players get signed to 10-day "contracts" because they are just holding the spot of another player or they are filling in for an injured player. Teams often have a list of nearby local players they can tap if they need to. But many times a player can earn their way into a regular roster spot through that same avenue.

bulk19

Just Bill is correct -
For example, the La Crosse Loggers had 16 players in uniform for their opening day practice on Monday, May 25, and those 16 dressed for their first game the next night - 10 of them were under 10-day contracts...
This week, as of Monday, the team was waiting for 16 more guys to report, basically from D1 teams from the West Coast, as they finish out playoffs... Then, the roster will be juggled to accommodate those players...
Tonight, the Loggers were to be playing the 9th game of a 72-game season...
* Stats are gleaned from the La Crosse Tribune stories covering the team...