East Region Fan Poll

Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRMIKESMITH

I think if the Committee does what it needs to do, East Region will have two teams in. Here is my mock Bracket

1. Muhlenberg vs. MIT
2. Salisbury vs. Framingham State
3. Union vs. Western New England
4. Delaware Valley vs. Ithaca

1. UMHB vs. Redlands
2. Chapman vs. Linfield
3. Bridgewater (Va.) vs. Wesley
4. B-SC vs. Huntingdon

1. Mount Union vs. SUNY-Maritime
2. Wheaton (Ill.) vs. Hanover
3. Case Western vs. Wabash
4. Brockport vs. Susquehanna

1. UW-Whitewater vs. Hope
2. Wartburg vs. Aurora
3. St. Johns vs. Martin Luther
4. Bethel vs. Lake Forest

UfanBill

NIce work MANDGSU  +k ...I see that you agree with what I'm saying below about WPI and I agree with your projections completely. So much can still happen though.

WPI  ???...I'd suggest WPI will not be in the final ranking because as of now MIT, by winning out, has a clear path to the NEWMAC AQ based on their win over WPI. A ranked MIT would greatly benefit Carnegie Mellon of the MAC if the Tartans can get to 8-2 by beating Westminster and upsetting CWR and a possible Pool C with 2 RR wins. That would hurt any East Pool C chances.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 06, 2019, 04:23:03 PM
I think if the Committee does what it needs to do, East Region will have two teams in. Here is my mock Bracket

1. Muhlenberg vs. MIT

1. UMHB vs. Redlands
2. Chapman vs. Linfield
4. B-SC vs. Huntingdon

2. Wheaton (Ill.) vs. Hanover
3. Case Western vs. Wabash

1. UW-Whitewater vs. Hope
2. Wartburg vs. Aurora
3. St. Johns vs. Martin Luther

This would be very interesting . I would love to see Muhlenberg in this bracket just to see how the bracket you propose competes with them. I am not sure it will come to pass , but +k for taking a shot at the pairings at this point.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

MRMIKESMITH

My second stab gives Wheaton a #1 Seed. Switch up some of the West/North pods. Also, gives the SCIAC teams all home games. This also prevents some conference rematches in the 2nd round outside of travel pod.

1. UMHB vs. Linfield
2. Chapman vs. Huntingdon
3. Redlands vs. BS-C/Berry

1. Wheaton (Ill.) vs. Hanover
2. Muhlenberg vs. MIT

1. UW-Whitewater vs. Martin Luther
2. Wartburg vs. Hope
3. St. Johns vs. Aurora
4. Case Western vs. Wabash

tf37

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2019, 11:08:37 AM
My second stab gives Wheaton a #1 Seed. Switch up some of the West/North pods. Also, gives the SCIAC teams all home games. This also prevents some conference rematches in the 2nd round outside of travel pod.

1. UMHB vs. Linfield

2. Muhlenberg vs. MIT

2. Wartburg vs. Hope
3. St. Johns vs. Aurora

So you believe #6 NCC (third RR and top Pool C from the North) will not be selected?  Even though their only loss is to a 1 Seed and have an RRO win, I am interested in your thought process there.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: tf37 on November 07, 2019, 11:54:12 AM

1. UMHB vs. Linfield

2. Muhlenberg vs. MIT

2. Wartburg vs. Hope
3. St. Johns vs. Aurora

So you believe #6 NCC (third RR and top Pool C from the North) will not be selected?  Even though their only loss is to a 1 Seed and have an RRO win, I am interested in your thought process there.

Tf37,

This bracket is based upon what I think rankings are going to be at the end of the year and not now. I see B-W jumping NC-C if they win out having the same winning percentage and higher SOS and St. Thomas or Gustavis ending up on final WR giving Bethel a RR win. Additionally, Hobart and/or Cortland being on the ER, giving Ithaca a RR win, Linfield winning out and remaining on WR rankings. Then that would put them at the table against what I believe a comparable Ithaca (1-1), Wesley (1-1), Redlands (1-1) and Bethel (1-1), and Susquehanna (0-1), but you'd still be behind B-W. Regardless, I think at the end of the Day it will come down to Susquehanna, B-W, and NC-C. If Johns Hopkins makes it onto SR rankings, then Susquehanna is (1-1). I think it's the CNU game that may end up hurting NC-C. What NC-C could consider is common opponents with Wesley. The committee may or may not look at point differential. If Wesley squeaks by CNU say 13-10, I'd think the committee would take a hard look at that. I definitely did last week when Salisbury played CNU.

Now taking those potential and subjective factors into consideration, that's my reasoning. Do I expect things to work this way, highly unlikely. I want NC-C in the bracket because of how they went out schedule and always are willing to schedule out of region.

ITH radio

ICYMI - here was our & Wally's takes:

https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/2445395138842833/

Learned after the fact ROR was not looked at this initial round.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

tf37

Quote from: MANDGSU on November 07, 2019, 03:46:37 PM
Quote from: tf37 on November 07, 2019, 11:54:12 AM

1. UMHB vs. Linfield

2. Muhlenberg vs. MIT

2. Wartburg vs. Hope
3. St. Johns vs. Aurora

Tf37,

This bracket is based upon what I think rankings are going to be at the end of the year and not now. I see B-W jumping NC-C if they win out having the same winning percentage and higher SOS and St. Thomas or Gustavis ending up on final WR giving Bethel a RR win. Additionally, Hobart and/or Cortland being on the ER, giving Ithaca a RR win, Linfield winning out and remaining on WR rankings. Then that would put them at the table against what I believe a comparable Ithaca (1-1), Wesley (1-1), Redlands (1-1) and Bethel (1-1), and Susquehanna (0-1), but you'd still be behind B-W. Regardless, I think at the end of the Day it will come down to Susquehanna, B-W, and NC-C. If Johns Hopkins makes it onto SR rankings, then Susquehanna is (1-1). I think it's the CNU game that may end up hurting NC-C. What NC-C could consider is common opponents with Wesley. The committee may or may not look at point differential. If Wesley squeaks by CNU say 13-10, I'd think the committee would take a hard look at that. I definitely did last week when Salisbury played CNU.

Now taking those potential and subjective factors into consideration, that's my reasoning. Do I expect things to work this way, highly unlikely. I want NC-C in the bracket because of how they went out schedule and always are willing to schedule out of region.

That is a far take, but I don't believe the B-W / JCU winner will jump NCC in the North.  I think the fact that Hope is above both of them points to that.   And their final SOS should be fairly close.

south hill observer

I doubt the NCAA will award the east 2 pool C slots. I think if Cortland wins the jug game then Wesley gets in and if Ithaca wins they're in over Wesley based on SOS and more D3 wins. That is ASSuming Ithaca beats RPI.

wally_wabash

Quote from: tf37 on November 07, 2019, 04:07:47 PM
Tf37,

That is a far take, but I don't believe the B-W / JCU winner will jump NCC in the North.  I think the fact that Hope is above both of them points to that.   And their final SOS should be fairly close.

Agree with this.  I think if there was concern about the strength of NCC's profile, they could have been ranked below Hope (as we did in our mock rankings last week) and then you'd have the table set for BW or JCU to slide ahead with the week 11 result.  JCU still has to get through Heidelberg this week, which I don't think is a layup for them btw. 

The one spot where I think North Central can really be damaged (outside of their own trap-ish game this weekend) is if WashU gets clipped in the last two weeks and they lose their RRO win.  The Bears should be ok, and should be plenty motivated to send Coach Kindbom out on the highest of notes, but that's a thing to watch for.  I do think JCU and BW are playing for a spot at the table in the 4th or 5th round of Pool C selection and the winner winds up in a last in/first out situation.   
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 07, 2019, 07:21:35 PM
Quote from: tf37 on November 07, 2019, 04:07:47 PM
Tf37,

Agree with this.  I think if there was concern about the strength of NCC's profile, they could have been ranked below Hope (as we did in our mock rankings last week) and then you'd have the table set for BW or JCU to slide ahead with the week 11 result.  JCU still has to get through Heidelberg this week, which I don't think is a layup for them btw. 

The one spot where I think North Central can really be damaged (outside of their own trap-ish game this weekend) is if WashU gets clipped in the last two weeks and they lose their RRO win.  The Bears should be ok, and should be plenty motivated to send Coach Kindbom out on the highest of notes, but that's a thing to watch for.  I do think JCU and BW are playing for a spot at the table in the 4th or 5th round of Pool C selection and the winner winds up in a last in/first out situation.

"trap-ish game"?  Isn't a trap game one where an opponent gets somewhat overlooked due to anticipating a stronger opponent the following week?  That seems rather unlikely since IWU (this week's opponent) just beat Millikin (next week's opponent) by 28 points this past weekend! ;D

A more likely problem for NCC is which IWU team will show up on Saturday?  If the team that trailed Millikin 12-7 at the half is their opponent, the game will get VERY ugly very quickly; on the other hand, if the team that demolished Millikin 33-0 in the second half shows up in Naperville, they have a legitimate puncher's chance of the upset.

Otherwise, agree totally with your post.

wally_wabash

Didn't mean any disrespect to IWU or North Central or the CCIW in general.  Let's distill what I meant into simple, easy to digest fragments:

- North Central is the best non-champion in the North region
- North Central is demonstrably better than Illinois Wesleyan and should beat them, probably comfortably, on Saturday
- If North Central is looking ahead to the tournament or otherwise not focused singularly on this game, Illinois Wesleyan- while not as good as North Central- is good enough to beat the Cardinals if the Cardinals don't have their act together.  For precedent, please refer to Concordia-Moorhead v. St. John's (2019). 

I apologize to any other Trap Game Strict Constructionists out there that I may have offended with my careless and irresponsible use of that particular colloquialism. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

unionpalooza

Quote from: wally_wabash on November 07, 2019, 09:12:14 PM
Didn't mean any disrespect to IWU or North Central or the CCIW in general.  Let's distill what I meant into simple, easy to digest fragments:

- North Central is the best non-champion in the North region
- North Central is demonstrably better than Illinois Wesleyan and should beat them, probably comfortably, on Saturday
- If North Central is looking ahead to the tournament or otherwise not focused singularly on this game, Illinois Wesleyan- while not as good as North Central- is good enough to beat the Cardinals if the Cardinals don't have their act together.  For precedent, please refer to Concordia-Moorhead v. St. John's (2019). 

I apologize to any other Trap Game Strict Constructionists out there that I may have offended with my careless and irresponsible use of that particular colloquialism.

Oy.  Pretty sure there is no precise definition of trap game, and think any instance where a team is playing a demonstrably weaker team and thus not properly prepare fall within many's definition.

Also, I thought "trap-ish" would have given you some wiggle room anyway.  Tough crowd!

Mr. Ypsi

wally, no offense taken. ;)

And, as I said in an earlier version of this post on another board, while I (a Titan fanatic) think if the 'good' Titans show up they have a "puncher's chance", someone would have to spot me a cart load of points for me to actually bet on them! :P

ITH radio

https://www.facebook.com/D3Huddle/videos/487163531885753/?notif_id=1573063966368954&notif_t=live_video_explicit

Secured the rights to nearly 20 games Saturday for the annual D3BlitzER show. Even Williams, which has a deal with NESN will be able to get us clips to that after the fact, so it should be a fun whip around Saturday of games, including:

CCC - WNE wins conf with win over BKR, EC-UNE could be an epic shootout same as SRC vs. HU
ECFC - SUNY needs to beat ASU to have a shot at .500 season
E8 - ALF vs. BP for the E8 title, SJF vs. MOR a battle for a shot at postseason bowl games
LL - IC needs to beat RPI to stay in Pool C hunt, can Utica trip up Union?
MAS - BSU vs. FSU for MASCAC title
MAC - STE vs. WILK with a post season bowls and ERR implications
NES - AMH vs. WIL, plus WES vs. TRIN
NEW - Can CGA knock off WPI?
NJ - SALs clinches with a win, conf wins at a premium for other teams
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle