BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wooscotsfan

Wooster wins two games over #9 Johns Hopkins the last two days winning 5-2 on Friday and 13-7 today.  Hopkins' record was 9-1 and now stands 9-3.

Wooster is now 4-1 on the season and they face Eastern Connecticut State tomorrow.

GO SCOTS!

Pops33

Yikes.  Wooster dropped a pair of games to North Central yesterday, which makes 3 straight losses.  In the last 3 games, they have scored a total of four runs.  Their offense should come around, as they have a lot returning, including 2 preseason All-Americans in Harwood & Crum.  They did lose 3 of their first 6 hitters in the lineup, who were all 3 or 4 year starters and combined for 199 hits, 175 runs, 133 RBI, 79 XBH, and 41 SB in 2018.  Difficult to replace guys that really fill up the stat lines and have been there, done that.  My guess is that this is just an early season slump and Wooster has re-loaded the lineup with talented players finally getting their opportunity.  The four losses have all come at the hands of really good programs that usually are in regionals or at least in the discussion for regionals (Swarthmore, North Central, Eastern Conn St) so there is no reason to panic yet.  The last two games of the Florida trip are against 2 teams that a combined 16-4, so they need to get it going right away.

Dr. Acula

It may take a little time for the new guys to settle in given they were combining the normal nerves of being a new starter with the added weight of being preseason #1.  Everyone is laser focused against you with that target on your back. 

Dr. Acula

Three unrelated items:

Denison has been impressive so far.  It looks like they're by far the biggest challenger to Wooster in the conference right now.

What the heck is up with Kenyon??  13-5!  Nice start for the Lords.  Couple nice wins over Immaculata.  And they just pounded Cap yesterday 19-7.

I watched Mount at Hiram yesterday.  Hiram has a couple players and their starter wasn't bad, but overall their talent level is not good at the moment.  Once Mount got to their bullpen they just blew the game wide open.  It's going to take Brua a couple classes to build some depth and a couple seasons more for that depth to grow up.  Luckily Hiram does not strike me as a place that won't give him ample time to build.  Jenter was there forever and they were never good then. 

Pops33

Hiram has had some talented players, but the depth, as the Doc alluded to, has never been there.  I am optimistic that Brua knows that and will recruit well and have Hiram be more competitive.  The field renovation should help with recruiting as well. 

So far, only 2 teams have sub-500 records and they have a combined 82-61 record.  A good start for the conference before it gets into conference play this weekend.  I agree that Denison at 13-2 looks really good.  I also expect Wooster, DePauw and Wabash to be in contention for the conference tournament.  There will be one or two surprise teams in the mix, but I cannot get a good read on the rest of them yet.  This weekend's conference play should start to let us know.  Especially looking forward to seeing how Allegheny vs. Wabash and Wooster vs. DePauw play out.

My favorite time of the year. 

old scot

Woo beats Etta 8-7.. No info.  Saw the last 3 outs.

Pops33

Wooster played a very ugly game yesterday.  They had 6 errors plus several misplayed balls that led to runs.  They were saved by Harwood's 2 home runs and 5 RBI day.  I watched online, but it's obvious that they need to tighten things up a lot if they are to play like a top 10 team.

Dr. Acula

The most impressive stat may be that with the 6 errors only 2 of Etta's runs were unearned.  Great job by the Scots' pitchers working around miscues behind them for the most part.

Pops33

Denison gets the headline on www.d3baseball.com.  https://www.d3baseball.com/notables/2019/03/recap-03-28-2019.  They are worthy of the recognition as they look like the most consistently good team in the conference, if not the Mideast Region.  The big showdown with Wooster is not for another month and a lot of games need to be played before then.  Denison has doubleheaders with Wittenberg, DePauw and Allegheny coming up this week in conference play.

Dr. Acula

Wooster is now 13-6 after back to back losses this week to BW and Ott.  I haven't been following the NCAC very closely so far.  Are they getting worried in Wayne County?  Or is the NCAC in a spot this year where it's just Woo and Denison then everyone else?  I saw Denison trounced Etta 11-2 to improve to a ridiculous 22-2 now.   

old scot

Woo is scuffling right now. Lost a lot from last year and have not been able to replace. We will see if the younger players show improvement. I guess its more important to make the NCAC playoffs and win. Over rated at the begining of the year and they seem light on pitching.Denison is a reAL THREAT. Should be a interesting season.

old scot

Woo sweeps Bash 10-0 and 8-7.. Wind must have been blowing out at Art Murray  11 homers hit between the teams in the DH

ADL70

Spartans overpowered Scots today 21-10.  Out homering them 6-2, with three by Jake Ryan whose 4-4 day included a double in his last at bat and a slam by Casey McConihe. Art Murray Field is a launching pad. Scots are averaging over 1 HR/game.

Was supposed to be a rematch on Sunday in Cleveland, but looks like Wooster has an NCAC make-up conflict.

Spartans now have 25 dingers from 10 different players, led by Ryan's 8.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pops33

Big doubleheader last Saturday with Denison playing at Wooster.  Denison took the early lead in the first game and looked like it was off to the races.  The Scots' offense came alive and powered back to a 16-9 victory.  The second game was little tamer, with Denison again coming out in front early and the Scots getting some clutch hitting late in the game to secure the 6-5 victory and the sweep.  Wooster now holds a 2 game advantage over Denison for the regular season title.

Other than the two losses to Wooster, Denison beat regionally ranked Heidelberg, John Carroll and Baldwin Wallace last week.  They are 30-5 and have 5 games left on the schedule.  Unless they completely fall apart, they should finish with their best record in school history and get a Pool C bid if they do not win the automatic bid from the conference tourney.  Their SOS is currently 96 and will probably get a little worse after this week as their last five opponents will not improve it.

Those two wins for Wooster were huge.  They have been a little inconsistent over the last couple of weeks and it usually comes in the mid week games where they throw a "staff day".  They have 8 games this week including 6 conference games so it could get a little dicey if their pitching is not strong this week.  Currently at 21-8, they need to pile up wins and to improve their overall resume.  Their SOS is currently 26, but will also fall a little this week.

I am interested to see how this DH sweep will affect the Regional Rankings.  Wooster went 3-0 this week and is now 5-6 vs RRO.  Denison went 3-2 this week and is now 4-3 vs RRO.

old scot

just got home to see Woo split with Witt. Watched the bottom on the ninth. Woo down by to2. Solo homer to bring it to one.  Had the tieing run on first base but the next batter struckout looking..Should be a good finish in the NCAC. Seems like everything is up for grabs.