MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lefrakenstein

Quote from: old_hooper on April 25, 2013, 06:35:49 PM
Nescac1 good take on  history and LJs next year.  However, providing he is healthy, Logan Buckner brings the physical toughness that they will need.  Big brawley guy that was projected to contribute this year but was not healthy.  I am not so sure that he will not be a starter next year in the 4 position.  Also know that the coaching staff is very high on Sanderson.  If he grows more (6'9-10) and puts on some muscle he will see major minutes next year.  Will also need another guard to step up and prove that they deserve more minutes to make up the 8 man rotation when NESCAC season starts.  Does not look like Ray Barry will be that player.  Based on players they already have, it will be interesting to see the ones that want it the most and step up next year.

Based on anecdotes I've heard about Barry's level of talent, I haven't given up on him yet. Hopefully whatever is going on with that situation gets worked out. Could have three very small rotation players a la Corrigan/Donovan/Lee on the 04 team if Barry ever joins Toomey and Kalema in getting serious minutes.

Best case scenario for the Jeffs is that both Barry and Mussachia step up and play well next year, b/c it's going to be tough for the '15 squad to be good if they don't have any senior contributors. Mussachia especially has a big opportunity to get minutes on the wing with Williamson and Workman graduating.

amh63

LeFrak....nitpicking a bit...but you must mean the junior class since Toomey, Kalema, and Killian are seniors along with Logan.  Agree that there is talent among the soph class that can step up.

lefrakenstein

Quote from: amh63 on April 27, 2013, 03:23:19 PM
LeFrak....nitpicking a bit...but you must mean the junior class since Toomey, Kalema, and Killian are seniors along with Logan.  Agree that there is talent among the soph class that can step up.

I said the '15 squad. Not next year, but the year after. When Barry/Mussachia will be seniors.

amh63

My "bad"....as they say these days.   Must learn to read carefully.....not trying to test an Amherst lawyer to be....LeFrak.

old_hooper

Amherst has been to the title game 3 of the last 7 years.  Getting back next year is not impossible if you look at the players that are returning and the experience that they have.  No doubt about it, there are some teams with better resumes for next year.  would not be surprised to see Williams and Tufts favored over them in pre-season polls etc.

The 2008 team did it by losing 3 starters from the 07 team (McLaughlin, D.Wheeler, O'Shea) and off the bench lock down defender in Salerno.  Those losses were 40% of MPG,  34% of scoring and 36% of RBs.  Looking ahead to next year, the 14 team will miss 41% MPG, 43% of scoring and 46% of RBs.  The 08 team had a senior dominate squad that had size and experience. 

The 14 team will have three seniors in Toomey, Killian and Kalema with a lot of experience and another in Buckner who has not much but should be a very solid contributor.  The big difference with the 14 team from the 08 team is early development of the will be sophs.  Coach Hixon put a lot of faith in Green and Pollock and their growth as players will go a long way to the LJs success next year. 

I think that the 14 team will be deeper than the 08 team.  The X factor is the the 2 or 3 players that can step up and be solid contributors and Le frak I hope you are right about Barry.  Another PG must emerge next year and it has to be from what they have now or the incoming frosh from IL.  I also agree that Mussachia will have to be one of the guys in the mix.  Amh63, you are also right, they have excellent size in existing players that are very young.  The cupboard is far from bare in LeFrak.

jayhawk

Williams and Tufts look to be preseason favorites both with excellent incoming freshman. Middlebury with a cohort of excellent incoming guards.
Some discussion about Amherst future roster
Ray Barry had one injury his freshman and a second injury his sophomore year since he could not really play because of unfortunate injuries we are not really able to comment on his playing at the college level. Hopefully next year will be kind of him, he is a different type of guard, more of a 2 guard with speed who is in attack mode when he plays.

Coach Hixon played freshman Green and Pollack significant minutes this year which is somewhat unusual.
What we know of incoming freshman class is intriguing.  May get some playing time
Diego Magana i- Courtesy of internet highly recruited by MIT  with 1st visit last fall. In Arizona playing in state all star game where games are divided by division. Looks to have excellent mechanics with his jumpshot, sweet shot with deep range
Jacob Nabatoff- is developing 6'8' played in a very good conference and recently played on all star team of Charlotte high school players against ACC senior all star team- good shooting rhythm for big man, did some quarterback and high jump on school teams
Reid Berman, distributig point guard who averaged 10 or more assists per game
Jeff Racy -outside shooter

The point made by one board post that level of high school play helps to determine transitino to college, excellent point

gordonmann

Based on my experience at Trinity, I thought this would resonate with some of our posters or make them laugh.  Other conferences in Division III would also relate:

http://now.msn.com/signs-you-went-to-a-private-liberal-arts-college

lefrakenstein

Chris Wright's twitter feed seems to suggest that he was admitted to both Amherst and Williams (and Hamilton):

https://twitter.com/116_FanaticJC33/media/grid
(for those not on twitter, it's a pic of Amherst, Williams and Hamilton brochures with the caption ' So happy to receive these in the mail! I have been accepted to some awesome schools. #hamilton #amherst #williams '

Judging by his budding twitter bromance with Diego Magana though, it appears that he made the obviously correct choice for anyone in that position and picked Amherst. (although I'm not certain - it also mentions him working out at some d2 schools)

remsleep

Look for Maker to be heavily in the mix at UMass-Lowell

nescac1

I don't see Maker leaving Williams for UMass-Lowell (or for that matter, for any D-II program).  He'll be at Williams unless and until he receives a good D-1 offer (something few D-3 coaches would turn down).  Especially considering the talent he has coming back, and in the incoming recruiting class. 

amh63

For Chris Wright, his decision date for Amherst is 1 May....the close date for the Class of 2017.  I assume it is the same for Williams and Hamilton.

madzillagd

Chris Wright ‏@116_FanaticJC33  4m 
FINALLY officially committed to Amherst College! #classof2017 looking to repeat as national champs!

jayhawk

thanks for the updates
benefits of winning national championship as a recruiting assist

Bucket

Quote from: remsleep on May 01, 2013, 03:34:32 PM
Look for Maker to be heavily in the mix at UMass-Lowell

Just because Hoopdirt said so based on a search firm's familiarity with him won't make it so:

UMass Lowell is not remotely on his radar.

lefrakenstein

I wonder if anyone else not on this board's radar chose Amherst today. I had heard that the class could be as large as 7-8 kids.