Top Conferences and NCAA Bids

Started by PaulNewman, August 06, 2013, 09:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KICKIN95

Loras, Messiah, Rutgers Camden, and Amherst are hosting.
Master of all things "DuHawk"

PaulNewman

Christan Shirk

Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

KICKIN95

Master of all things "DuHawk"

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: KICKIN95 on November 18, 2013, 07:52:08 AM

As I would have expected!   Good luck to the remaining 16.  Messiah is a stone cone lead pipe lock for the Final Four!

Would be quite interesting if it were NJAC vs NJAC, IIAC vs IIAC, and NESCAC vs NESCAC in the Elite 8...

cciwrabblerouser

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 18, 2013, 10:46:50 AM

As I would have expected!   Good luck to the remaining 16.  Messiah is a stone cone lead pipe lock for the Final Four!

Would be quite interesting if it were NJAC vs NJAC, IIAC vs IIAC, and NESCAC vs NESCAC in the Elite 8...

Accuracy check ...

I believe the phrase is "stone COLD lead pipe lock." 

From what I know about Messiah's approach throughout the years and in multiple tournaments, there is no one in the soccer program that believes that statement.  That is when a team gets knocked off.  I'm not, bu any means, saying that Ohio Wesleyan felt it was guaranteed a win vs. Rose-Hulman, but look what happened yesterday.  If Messiah advances, it will be they are taking NO ONE for granted.  That is what makes Messiah a championship program.

lastguyoffthebench

Quote from: cciwrabblerouser on November 18, 2013, 11:07:45 AM
Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 18, 2013, 10:46:50 AM

Accuracy check ...

I believe the phrase is "stone COLD lead pipe lock." 

From what I know about Messiah's approach throughout the years and in multiple tournaments, there is no one in the soccer program that believes that statement.  That is when a team gets knocked off.  I'm not, bu any means, saying that Ohio Wesleyan felt it was guaranteed a win vs. Rose-Hulman, but look what happened yesterday.  If Messiah advances, it will be they are taking NO ONE for granted.  That is what makes Messiah a championship program.

Accuracy check...

I believe the phrase is "BY any means"

HAHA.  Messiah is a program that is almost ALWAYS prepared.  Since 2000, the Falcons have tournament record of 53-3-4...   Stone Cold I tell ya, STONE COLD!   

PaulNewman

Haha...keep the bulletin board material coming for Kenyon!

lastguyoffthebench

No problem, NCAC...  Subjective irrelevance!

RANK       SOS      OFF       DEF
Kenyon               11          116        33         59         (Bennett)
                           59            15        16         22         (Massey)

Messiah                2          115          7         15         (Bennett)
                             4            23          1         21         (Massey)

lastguyoffthebench

'99    Brandt    18    3    1    NCAA Final 8
'00    Brandt    22    2    1    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'01    Brandt    21    2    0    NCAA Final 4, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'02    Brandt    23    2    1    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'03    Brandt    18    2    3    NCAA Final 16, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'04    Brandt    23    2    0    NCAA National Champions
'05    Brandt    24    0    0    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'06    Brandt    22    1    2    NCAA National Champions
'07    Brandt    21    3    0    NCAA Final 4, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'08    Brandt    22    2    2    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions,
247-25-14, 12 yrs.
'09    McCarty    24    1    0    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'10    McCarty    23    1    0    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'11    McCarty    18    1    1    NCAA Final 32, Commonwealth Conference Champions
'12    McCarty    23    0    2    NCAA National Champions, Commonwealth Conference Champions
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NCAA Championships Tournament - All-Time Participation and Results
Through 2012 National Final

All-Time Record                    At Home            Away and Neutral Site
66-12-5, 14 Bye's (.825)    27-7-1 (.786)    39-5-4 (.854)
Goals For - Goals Against    OT Record/(PK not included)    Penalty Kick Shootouts
   170-              49                   10-4 (.714)                                          3-3 (.500)

Saint of Old

From here on out, throw away records and streaks.
The hungriest team will win this thing!

cciwrabblerouser

Does anyone know if Kenyon submitted the paperwork to host a sectional round?  I'm just a bit surprised that Rose-Hulman will be flying when, with Kenyon hosting, the other three would have bused it to Gambier.

PaulNewman

Lastguy, great work!  Just heard the ADs of the other 3 schools decided to cancel the trip for their teams since it is such an obvious waste of $ :)

On a side note, great articles by Ryan Harmanis, especially the OWU upset one which had to be tough to write but was executed to near-perfection.

On paper, the East bracket went from the toughest to the weakest, followed by the Loras sectional.  The Rutgers and Amherst sectional now seem to be the heavyweights. 

Brandeis vs Williams is intriguing and Amherst vs SLU should be an all-out war. 

PaulNewman

CCIW, clearly looks like they went with the highest seeds in all groups, which makes sense, except for the RH flight.

I'm sure Gambier has hosted other D3 events but not a ton of good lodging choices nearby either.

Ryan Harmanis

Thanks.  Having been on the receiving end of those games when I played it actually felt better to look at it from an analytical/logical perspective.  And while Rose-Hulman really failed to leave their defensive third for the remaining 85 minutes, yesterday was the least potent I've seen OWU in years.  Failing to put one in happens regularly to most top teams, but rarely do they fail to even muster good chances.  From that perspective, Rose-Hulman really deserves a lot of credit.

As for next weekend, Kenyon is obviously a big underdog.  I would say, however, that they're probably better prepared than anyone left in the tournament to go to Messiah after traveling to OWU twice already and beating Wheaton on the road.  In terms of style, Messiah and OWU are eerily similar - the 2011 game was like watching OWU (or Messiah) play itself.  The one difference of note is that Messiah seems more physically imposing, but anyone who has watched Kenyon knows that they'll relish that challenge.  In any event, I doubt Kenyon will be intimidated in the least.