MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

Quote from: USee on December 30, 2016, 07:36:38 PM
Quote from: AppletonRocks on December 30, 2016, 06:23:39 PM
Quote from: USee on December 30, 2016, 06:15:22 PM
Quote from: bbfan44 on December 30, 2016, 04:02:12 PM
I watched the last couple of minutes of the UWSP-NCC game last night.  I have no idea if UWSP had their full complement of players, but, I'd say that NCC would be quite favored in a rematch on a neutral court with Raridon in the lineup.  And, presumable different ref's in the last 40 seconds or so of play.

You joke but I can remember watching an AAU game where all of the officials were ejected in the final minute of the game.

I have to hear this story--ejected by whom?  ???

There is only one person who can eject officials. The person paying them. 

Huge event in Milwaukee.  Big time coaches there. Two,shoe company teams going at it.  Officials were jawing w moms in the stands.  Guy running the event ran over, stopped the game, sent all three refs packing and brought over 3 others who just finished another game.

Why are you feeding the trolls?

John Gleich

I watched the last couple of minutes of the UWSP-NCC game last night.  I have no idea if UWSP had their full complement of players, but, I'd say that NCC would be quite favored in a rematch on a neutral court with Raridon in the lineup.  And, presumable different ref's in the last 40 seconds or so of play.

For what it's worth, UWSP is normally a 75% free throw shooting team. Had they shot their normal percentage instead of 60%, that would have been worth 6 more points... And an 8 point victory instead of 2.

I didn't realize that Connor Raridon had risen to Kent Raymond level and any (negative) results that occurred in his absence required an asterisk.

NCC is a good squad. They're 2-2 without Connor. But they were 5-2 with him. It wasn't like they were blowing the doors off of everybody.

And I hope that there is an NCC/UWSP rematch. That'll mean that this young Point team has exceeded expectations.

All in all, though, with how young both these squads are, they're both going to continue to improve this season and should be really good next year too.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Gregory Sager

North Park 93
Manchester 84

Jordan Robinson: 32 pts, 11 rebs, 3:1 a:to
Juwan Henry: 23 pts, 7:2 a:to
Colin Lake: 10 pts

This was exactly what I was afraid of: The Vikings looked rusty coming off of their Christmas break, while Manchester looked hungry. The Spartans may be a mere 1-9 now, but they're much better than that record indicates. It's a team that's got some talented players -- I'm not altogether sure that their coach uses them properly -- and it might make some noise in the HCAC. But the Vikes got a strong finish from their two stars at the end of the game, and they managed to get some separation and finished off well at the FT line.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Host Wittenberg held off Millikin today, 55-49. Even though this snapped a two-game Big Blue winning streak, this was still a good outcome for this very young MU team. Wittenberg may not be the hoops machine that it used to be, but that was still a 7-3 Tigers team that took the floor tonight, nevertheless. The Big Blue actually led at the half, in a game in which there was only one double-digit lead -- and it lasted for all of thirty seconds. The Tigers led for most of the second half by four to eight points, as the two teams basically traded baskets and MU just couldn't get over the hump. Leighton Lark was the only Millikin player to reach double figures, as he had 11.

I think we're past the point now where every MU game should be written off as an easy win for the opposition.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Saturday's games

Carthage (7-3) @ UW-Oshkosh (7-3)
Carroll (6-4) @ Austin (4-6)
Augustana (8-3) @ UW-Stevens Point (6-3)

Titan Q

IWU 79
Bridgewater 60

http://www.iwusports.com/boxscore.aspx?id=4071&path=mbball

* Nick Coleman: 13 pts, 2 reb, 2 assists
* Alec Bausch: 11 pts, 6 reb, 3 assists
* Austin Amann: 11 pts
* Trevor Seibring: 10 pts, 5 reb

The Titans, playing without leading scorer Brady Rose, took care of business against a Bridgewater team that's not very good.  6-1 sophomore Nick Coleman made his first career start and continued to pay well for IWU.  6-6 senior forward Alec Bausch had two good games in Staten Island and was named to the all-tournament team.

The Titans finished their non-conference schedule 8-1, with some nice wins and just that tough loss against Middlebury.  IWU's strength of schedule (per Knightslappy's regional ranking data - http://detroitjockcity.com/division-iii-mens-basketball-regional-rankings-data/) is .613, which is best in the Central region. The Middlebury loss is going to hurt, but the Titans are in pretty nice shape in terms of Pool C as things stand at this point.

This is a very good IWU team - the Titans are extremely skilled offensively, they pass and move the ball as well as anyone, can really shoot it, are deep, balanced in terms of inside/outside threats, and seem to have great team chemistry.  I expect the Titans to be right in the middle of the CCIW title picture until the end.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Great interview, Pat. And it's a great example of what a stand-up guy Mike Schauer is.

GoPerry

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 31, 2016, 11:38:34 AM
Mike Schauer on his team heading into January:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRcfjP2huRg

Great interview - thanks Pat.  Great questions about the dearth of seniors on the team and I was especially interested in Schauer's response to the "Vegas-y" things the team was participating in(or not).

Also enjoyed Dave's interview with Coach Carse at Hardin Simmons.

Keep up the great work at D3Sports.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 31, 2016, 12:19:32 PM
Great interview, Pat. And it's a great example of what a stand-up guy Mike Schauer is.

Agreed -- we don't relish doing interviews after a team has gone 0-2 but sometimes our group's scheduling is what it is, especially with three people and 14 games to broadcast. But I would never expect Mike Schauer or anyone with the Wheaton MBB program would bail on us.

I actually felt bad and was racking my brain for questions where he wouldn't have to apologize or take the blame on himself for something!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 31, 2016, 12:19:32 PM

Not every coach is going to take full blame for things such as effort and energy.

By the way, I did not see sour grapes in the post game interview with Coach Rose.  Just my opinion, but I think it is fair to defend his man and let the fans know that he believes there was no reason to call the technical.

Titan Q

#1-Babson 82
Chicago 70

Chicago led most of the 1st half, and by 3 at halftime.  The 2nd half was all Babson.

In a year with a lot of parity, I think Babson is a very solid #1 pick.  1st Team All-American Joey Flannery is a stud and then they have all kinds of other very talented guys. 

That said, I don't see much separation, really, between Babson and many other Top 25 teams.  But overall, I'd say Babson has to be one of the favorites to win the national championship this year.

4samuy

At half

Stevens Point 42
Augustana 40

After not playing a game in the last 15 days,  thus far Augie looks pretty efficient offensively.  Anytime you score 40 in a half against a Stevens Point squad you should feel pretty good.  The issue is, doesn't look as if they have done much work on the defensive end the last two weeks.  Still giving up too many looks from three.

Titan Q

Final from Stevens Point...

Augustana 78
UW-Stevens Point 76

Those both look like Top 25 teams to me.

Impressive win by Augie.

4samuy

Nice road win and confidence builder for a young Augie squad
Augie 78
Stevens Point 76

And yes, what did it come down to, a wide open three at the buzzer, which they missed.