MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3HoopJunkie

Quote from: MiddWatcher on January 14, 2020, 11:32:24 PM
It's a long drive from southern CT to Middlebury, VT - especially to play a 5 pm contest in a half empty gym. It showed today for Albertus Magnus. The old expression " never got off the bus " was highly appropriate in this 'watcher's opinion. Not all in attendance agreed with me .... but I was somewhat pleased to read " d3hoopjunkie" in the GNAC page. ( IF I actually knew how to cut 'n paste from another one of these sections, I would have put it in here ! )  Read it if you are interested. I thought his/her thoughts were right on. Basically, they did not bring much emotion or energy to the game defensively, at all, and did not run any offense with any merit whatsoever. They had 4 assists as a team and 2 fast break points.  Really ??  I do think they have a terrific coach, and I have watched many of their games where they really play with emotion and zeal and a great deal of energy. They COULD give a lot of teams a big run for their money. But tonight was not the night. Very good efforts from Bosco,Cahill and Eastman again, as noted. Farrell never really got going, but all else contributed mightily and Ingram gave them a good effort off the bench. Folger changed a lot of shots. DeLorenzo's odd home/away shooting split in evidence ( 27% at home, 57 % on the road ). Kind of amazing for a kid who has been shooting in that gym since he was 5 years old.  The Mule train will arrive on Friday night and it should be really fun.

I couldn't agree more with your assessment here. Let me start off by saying that my next comment is not an excuse, I repeat NOT an excuse! I have stated on the GNAC thread that the Panthers were the better team last night and deserved to win. That said, getting on a bus and taking a 5 hour ride to arrive at 3:30 and tip off at 5PM is certainly not an ideal situation for any team. I would have loved to see this game played out on a Saturday afternoon or something when players can adjust and prepare properly for such a big game. But scheduling is tough and Oliver knows he has to take whatever games against NESCAC schools willing to schedule him whenever he can. Every team has to do these things and I get that, especially in D3. From a fan standpoint its just unfortunate. I know my team didnt bring their best effort and I think most Middlebury fans would agree and say neither did their team! But they did enough to win and came out with a victory.

Good luck to Middlebury the rest of the way, from what I have seen thus far in the NESCAC they seem to be the most polished and well balanced squad in the league. But like every conference, you can pretty much throw those intangibles out the window once league play and conference tournaments begin! That is of course why we all love this game....isnt it?!

nescac1

A good example of the general ignorance about the quality of D3 hoops can be found on JJ Redick's podcast (the episode with Hasan Minjah and Malcolm Gladwell).  At around the 38 minute mark, they discuss Duncan Robinson, and one of them (I believe Gladwell) mocks the caliber of D3hoops, saying a lot of guys who couldn't play varsity on many high school teams could make the Williams roster, and that anyone over 6'6 can play for them.  Not the first time Gladwell will say something without basis yet with a high degree of confidence, but pretty interesting to hear ...

Friday's big Midd-Colby showdown should be interesting.  Especially with Sobel out, both teams seem happy to play at a very fast pace, with loads of outside shooting.  Makes the outcome a bit less predicatable.  I'd expect a very fun game to watch though.  If Colby sweeps a tough road weekend at Midd-Williams (and I'd be surprised if they did, but certainly possible), is that enough to catapult them into the top 5, nationally?  I would think at that point they would have earned the respect. 

nescac1

SpringSt7

While Colby vs. Middlebury is understandably the game of the weekend, I am really excited to see how Amherst and Tufts goes on Saturday. Tufts is a team that I really don't feel like many of us have figured out--wins over St. Joe's (before the addition of Jaecee Martin, who has been stellar for them), Wesleyan, and Nichols, but losses to Babson, WPI, and...Suffolk. They have as much firepower as anyone in the league but other than Eric Savage's bench appearances on a Sweet 16/NESCAC semifinal team his freshman year, they have no one who has played in big, big games and has also experienced what it is like having a target on their backs (something I suspect Colby may find out about this weekend as well).

For Amherst, coming off of a really weird weekend in which they handled a good Middlebury team but then dropped to this young and confusing Williams team, in a game where the Ephs didn't seem very intimidated nor concerned after going down close to double digits in the second half. If they are the team that many, myself included, thought they could be going into this year, this is the type of game they should win. If not, the concerns and doubts will only grow stronger.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: nescac1 on January 16, 2020, 01:37:40 PM
A good example of the general ignorance about the quality of D3 hoops can be found on JJ Redick's podcast (the episode with Hasan Minjah and Malcolm Gladwell).  At around the 38 minute mark, they discuss Duncan Robinson, and one of them (I believe Gladwell) mocks the caliber of D3hoops, saying a lot of guys who couldn't play varsity on many high school teams could make the Williams roster, and that anyone over 6'6 can play for them.  Not the first time Gladwell will say something without basis yet with a high degree of confidence, but pretty interesting to hear ...

Damn it ... this is what I forgot to talk about on Hoopsville tonight. SMH
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 16, 2020, 10:05:17 PM

Dave,

Why waste time responding to such ignorant remarks?

Gladwell once wrote in an article for The New Yorker that Fordham's 1971 defeat of Julius Erving-led UMass was a huge upset and that without the Rams relentless press the Minutemen would have won by thirty points.  David vs Goliath was the theme of the article and he cast Fordham as David due to the size of their players.  A bit of research, which this highly renown social scientist never spent his time doing, shows that Fordham went 23-3 that season.  They made the NCAA tournament easily beating Southern before losing by ten points to Villanova, who would eventually lose to UCLA in the championship game.  They then defeated South Carolina in the consolation tilt.  The mighty Minutemen went 19-3 against DI competition, playing only the eastern indies of the day and their Yankee Conference brethren.  They also played five games against DII and DIII teams including a one point loss to Springfield.  They ended their season losing to UNC by forty-one points in the opening round of the NIT.

I doubt he knows much, if anything, about DIII basketball.  Why give credence to such twaddle by dignifying it with a response?       

lumbercat

Vandy really knows his stuff and that post shows it. In my opinion he qualifies as one of an elite group of guys on this board with expansive knowledge of D3 hoops and college basketball in general especially it's history.
Great post.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I've been tweeting at Gladwell about D3hoops for years.  I really feel like it's right up his alley (except for the schools with super large endowments; he's not a fan, sorry guys) - I guess he's just got more important things to do.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Colby Hoops

Matchups for the Colby-Midd game will be interesting. Apologies for posting a lot about this game, but this is biggest regular season game for the Mules in who knows how long!

I'm interested to see who starts on Farrell -- wonder if it will be Tyson. He's Colby's best defender, but he's also their best rebounder. When he covers perimeter players it takes him away from the hoop and can leave the Mules susceptible on the glass. I've said it before, but Tyson is the reason Colby can play the way they do. He is an elite rebounder and defender and plays huge minutes in any close games.

Will also be interesting to see if Folger guards Jefferson or if they put him on King -- most teams have put their bigs on King (the only starter who won't launch from anywhere). Sam Grad for Bowdoin gave Jefferson some problems and Folger can be similarly effective with his length. The tradeoff is that takes Folger further away from the hoop and leaves Midd without a shot-blocking presence in the middle. Alternatively -- this is a game that both teams could do a lot of switching across matchups. Not a ton of post-up threats on either side. Tough decisions for both coaching staffs.

I see Max Bosco as a big X factor. He's shooting only 29% from deep this year, but I still expect every one to drop. He had a nice game against Albertus Magnus -- seems to be on the verge of a hot streak. For Colby, Matt Hanna seems to come up big in the biggest games. He'll shoot it from anywhere, and do it off the dribble. When he is shooting it well it really stretches the defense. Not sure he has the foot speed to stay with Farrell, but he's an extremely smart player and picks his spots to gamble for steals very well.

Got a beer and the big screen ready to roll for the game tonight -- Go Mules.

nescac1

Nothing against Midd, but I'm pulling for Colby in any game save for Williams.  It would be nice to see some new blood do some real damage in a year in which, so far, two of the usual big three have been a bit down ...

Vandy74

Quote from: lumbercat on January 17, 2020, 09:51:21 AM
Vandy really knows his stuff and that post shows it. In my opinion he qualifies as one of an elite group of guys on this board with expansive knowledge of D3 hoops and college basketball in general especially it's history.
Great post.

Lumbercat,

You're too kind.  I just do my homework.   

middhoops

Good interview with Jeff Brown on radio in Burlington, VT.
Only players mentioned (and not by Jeff) are Matt St. Amour and Noah Tyson.
It's a fun listen for D3 basketball fans. 
Malcolm Gladwell would pass on this one.

https://www.1013thegame.com/middlebury-hoops-coach-jeff-brown-joins-us-audio/

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on January 17, 2020, 03:25:32 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 16, 2020, 10:05:17 PM

Dave,

Why waste time responding to such ignorant remarks?

Gladwell once wrote in an article for The New Yorker that Fordham's 1971 defeat of Julius Erving-led UMass was a huge upset and that without the Rams relentless press the Minutemen would have won by thirty points.  David vs Goliath was the theme of the article and he cast Fordham as David due to the size of their players.  A bit of research, which this highly renown social scientist never spent his time doing, shows that Fordham went 23-3 that season.  They made the NCAA tournament easily beating Southern before losing by ten points to Villanova, who would eventually lose to UCLA in the championship game.  They then defeated South Carolina in the consolation tilt.  The mighty Minutemen went 19-3 against DI competition, playing only the eastern indies of the day and their Yankee Conference brethren.  They also played five games against DII and DIII teams including a one point loss to Springfield.  They ended their season losing to UNC by forty-one points in the opening round of the NIT.

I doubt he knows much, if anything, about DIII basketball.  Why give credence to such twaddle by dignifying it with a response?     

Because an SI writer I respect who graduated from the NESCAC had something to say about it on Twitter and I felt his point was worth talking about.

Quote from: middhoops on January 17, 2020, 02:01:16 PM
Good interview with Jeff Brown on radio in Burlington, VT.
Only players mentioned (and not by Jeff) are Matt St. Amour and Noah Tyson.
It's a fun listen for D3 basketball fans. 
Malcolm Gladwell would pass on this one.

https://www.1013thegame.com/middlebury-hoops-coach-jeff-brown-joins-us-audio/

We had a pretty good interview with Jeff Brown as well on Sunday night ... just sayin'.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lumbercat

Quote from: Vandy74 on January 17, 2020, 12:58:11 PM
Quote from: lumbercat on January 17, 2020, 09:51:21 AM
Great post.

Lumbercat,

You're too kind.  I just do my homework.   

I call it passion for the game and there is nothing like it. No faking that.
Nobody rattles off a response like that without really knowing the game and it's history.

Colby Hoops

Good game brewing in Middlebury. Up and down tempo bogged down the last 5 minutes or so of the first half, Mules lead 39-34. Mules have led from the start and were up by as much as 10. They're playing really well.. other than making shots, just 3-16 from deep. They're torching the Panthers on backdoor cuts though, as Midd has really extended the defense.

Eastman with a very nice first half for Midd. Midd definitely has another gear, but if Colby can start getting a few threes to drop this should be a good one.