FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Acula

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on April 21, 2020, 06:28:08 PM
Junior DB Robbie Williamson is leaving Mount Union:

https://twitter.com/whodat_robbie/status/1252646154623488002?s=21

He appeared in 6 Games last season

On Twitter he said he has 1-2 years of eligibility left.

So is Jalen Griffin.  He started at corner and was HM All-OAC last year. 

formerd3db

Quote from: Dr. Acula on April 21, 2020, 06:32:35 PM

So do you know where either of these players are going to?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

hsbsballcoach7

Very interesting... Malik Britt tweeted something along the lines of, " Ain't no loyalty nowadays. I got you Brodie." Referring to Griffin.

I wonder if the coaching staff was open and honest saying that all positions are open after the finish they had last season. Im totally speculating here.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on April 21, 2020, 07:29:08 PM

Very interesting... Malik Britt tweeted something along the lines of, " Ain't no loyalty nowadays. I got you Brodie." Referring to Griffin.

I wonder if the coaching staff was open and honest saying that all positions are open after the finish they had last season. Im totally speculating here.

All speculation from trying to interpret tweets from 20 year olds (sad, I know), but Derrick Bradley Jr and Malik Britt don't sound happy either. I hope they don't lose all of those guys from the defensive backfield. That would be lots of experience to lose in one off season. I have a feeling not having a spring practice is hurting lots of programs with players transferring with extra time to evaluate or overthink things (again, I don't know these specific situations, just in general). Anyway, I'm still looking forward to the chance to watch Purple Raider football again.

raiderpa

DB coach Woj retired, so  they will have a different coach leading the DB's and perhaps he gave them his lay of the land, perhaps the head coaching change made a difference.  Whatever, the kids listed here as leaving are not catastrophic.  IMO Britt is an athlete of great talent and would be the biggest loss.

Dr. Acula

If it's about the new staff telling the secondary that every job is an open competition I'd think they'd get that.  It's certainly not like that group lit the world on fire last year.  Individually a couple of them are presumably locked in starters, but maybe it was thrown out there to all of them to set the tone in the room.

hazzben

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2020, 05:00:13 PM
You're probably right, but if we have a season this fall, I suspect the training camp roster will start out larger. Perhaps the practice squad will be larger as well.

I'd love to see them make both of these concessions. I think the new CBA that the players voted to approve with increased roster sizes and larger practice squads will hopefully help small school prospects down the road as well.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

At a place like Mount Union, I suspect that all starting positions are pretty much Open Competitions from season to season.

I think Coach Woj worked with the QBs last year, not the DBs.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

HScoach

In response to the tweet (I can't believe I'm actually responding to such a thing / I often don't recognize the world I'm living it....), anyway,  LOYALTY is only as strong your work ethic and your ability.   Especially at a place with the roster competition of Mount or other upper echelon programs.  Loyalty to a player longer than the player worked to generate or his natural ability provides is a good way to be an ex-coach.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

gizzmo13

Im sorry but what NCC did to our secondary last year was illegal. It was a crime to watch them get beat like that. I know there was no pressure on qb and NCC was really really good. But yeah after that everything is up for grabs at a school like Mount. These kids aren't coming just to play, their coming to win it all every year. Those are the expectations, feelings will get hurt and loyalty out the door along the way. It sux but it is what it is. Prove them wrong if ur worried bout playing time, bust ur a$$, nowa days tho people just wanna take their ball and go home.

hsbsballcoach7

Quote from: HScoach on April 22, 2020, 02:40:04 PM

In response to the tweet (I can't believe I'm actually responding to such a thing / I often don't recognize the world I'm living it....), anyway,  LOYALTY is only as strong your work ethic and your ability.   Especially at a place with the roster competition of Mount or other upper echelon programs.  Loyalty to a player longer than the player worked to generate or his natural ability provides is a good way to be an ex-coach.

THIS... JUST ALL OF THIS. I couldn't put what I was thinking into words, but as a coach, you need to win or you're not coaching long. You play favorites.... My favorites are usually there interested who work the hardest, are leaders by example, do things the right way, in addition to their talent... Oh and they help win games for the TEAM because the team is a reflection of your coaching. Today, more players want to be told how good they are and at a place like Mount, you're going to constantly be pushed by coaches and other talent coming in.

purple

I do not believe players are leaving because open competition for jobs was declared. That's been the rule since the day LK was named Head Coach. Anyone who has ever heard the K's address the team at the conclusion of the season knows that is made quite clear, and Raider fans can cite numerous examples .
One thing for sure, no college football players have had as much fun, and won more Titles and games than the Raiders. For decades.

raiderpa

If you leave because you were told that you would have to earn a position, good riddance.  I want guys who say, 'bring it on".  These men win championships and excel in the classroom.

MUC57

Quote from: raiderpa on April 22, 2020, 06:12:33 PM
If you leave because you were told that you would have to earn a position, good riddance.  I want guys who say, 'bring it on".  These men win championships and excel in the classroom.

You said it. A +K  for that one.  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

formerd3db

MUC57:

Just in case you missed it on the previous page of posts, I sent you a reply PM. :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice