BB: 2013 Regionals (New York)

Started by Ralph Turner, May 12, 2013, 11:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Mock D3 brackets will be out by sunrise.

airball55

Neumann is the 5 seed and the team that probably bumps Fisher.  One game better than the Cards in the overall, Fisher travelled to Neumann and split, losing 1-0 and winning 6-1.  Fisher easily could have snuck in.  05 and 07 Ithaca much weaker resume's but got in.  I originally did not think Fisher had a shot, but, after seeing the field actually now thought they should have got in.  Break for the NY region though, they don't have to see D'Amato and co.  I like Cortland, a lot here now, with Rowan as my second pick.  Thoughts?

msarge7

Does anyone know where we can get the regional schedule?  I'd like to travel to Auburn to see some games, but I'd like to know when Cortland and Ithaca play.

AlleyCat

Schedule is on Ithaca's site and RPI Site

Bombers798891

This is the best Ithaca team in years. Very excited to see this regional. Ithaca's lack of pitching depth may come back to haunt them, but you dance with the date that you bring

AlleyCat

Ithaca's side of the bracket looks much easier than the Cortland Side with the NJAC tourney winner, NESCAC tourney winner, LL winner.

Bombers798891

Quote from: AlleyCat on May 13, 2013, 01:30:20 PM
Ithaca's side of the bracket looks much easier than the Cortland Side with the NJAC tourney winner, NESCAC tourney winner, LL winner.

Which is how it should be, no?

Bombers798891

Well, this site seems to like Ithaca's chances:

"Move over Cortland, there is a new king in the New York regional....The Bombers are expected to fly into the 2013 D-III World Series."

Respectfully, I think this is an inaccurate statement. Cortland's ranked ahead of Ithaca in the D-III polls, and while the Bombers beat them twice, you can't ignore the fact that the Red Dragons threw back-end pitchers in both their contests against the Bombers, whereas Ithaca threw their No 1. and No. 4 starters.

Ithaca certainly could win the regional, and it wouldn't be entirely shocking if they did. But to say they're "expected" to, to me, calls to mind a clear favorite, which I don't think they are. Cortland's much too good for that

Bombers798891

I feel like Ithaca's doing the Ithaca thing again. Tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 5th, Bombers just allowed an unearned run. Lemmo had to work out of a jam in the 4th inning, striking out two guys with runners on the corners.

EDIT: I retract my comment about Solano, as I was looking at the wrong year

Bombers798891

I just don't understand baseball managers.

Ithaca gets Locastro on first to start the 6th. He's got 33 stolen bases in 34 tries this season, including one earlier today. Ithaca's #3 hitter is up. Rather than letting one of best basestealers in D-III get a base on his own, the Bombers take the bat out of the hands of one of their best hitters and give away one of their remaining 12 outs. No run scores in the inning.

Look, if it was the #9 hitter, in the 8th or 9th inning, I might understand it. But it's way too early to play for one run, especially with the heart of the order coming up. Lemmo gives up a run in the top of the 7th, and now, well, we're 9 outs away from seeing the same old song and dance from the Bombers

Bombers798891

So naturally, Ithaca's bats wake up in the bottom of the 7th. Four runs on four hits and the Bombers take a 5-2 lead into the 8th

Bombers798891

Six more for the Bombers in the 8th—it's amazing what can happen when you let players hit—and they turn a nailbiter into a blowout, 11-2. As a fringe benefit, the outburst seemed to deflate Moravian, which made three outs on four pitches in the 9th, which allowed Ithaca to get a CG from Lemmo. That's about as well as you can script an opening game

airball55

go easy bomberman...it is a long week...the boys took care of business! Cortland had it much tougher

scuba16

Hopefully this will turn into a Cortland vs IC final... Like it should be.

Lets go C-State TPK
In sports it's not how you start, its how you finish!

Bombers798891

Quote from: scuba16 on May 16, 2013, 10:38:14 AM
Hopefully this will turn into a Cortland vs IC final... Like it should be.

Lets go C-State TPK

I agree. There's something to be said for seeing the two best teams taking each other on. Especially if Cortland actually uses good pitchers ;)