FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ron Boerger on September 26, 2009, 11:52:50 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on September 26, 2009, 10:52:02 PM
So if things continue to go they way they are going, then how will the first round of the playoffs pan out?  Obviously, UMHB should have a home game for the first couple rounds.  With HSU probably missing the playoffs, who should we look to as being a first and second round apponent?

With it appearing that Trinity is also not going to be in the playoffs, UMHB may, for once, actually play whatever team is seeded eighth in the first round.  What a concept.  If Trinity can win out (and based on the performance to date you would have to say that seems unlikely), they might get a C bid and travel to UMHB. 

I remember it being said that Millsaps is just under 500 miles from UMHB.  If that is true according to the NCAA then they would be UMHB's first-round opponent should they get in the playoffs and Trinity not.

Or SCAC Pool A Millsaps (9-1/ in-region 9-1) could play Pool C Mississippi College (9-1/ in-region 8-1) in the first round and the winner go to #1 South Region seed UMHB.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 27, 2009, 09:13:02 AM
Or SCAC Pool A Millsaps (9-1/ in-region 9-1) could play Pool C Mississippi College (9-1/ in-region 8-1) in the first round and the winner go to #1 South Region seed UMHB.

Very true.   I have to get my head wrapped around the new ASC world order with HSU struggling this season.

Toby Taff

Let us not forget a 1-0 LC team that was pretty impressive in its win over HSU.  They play MC next week, then UMHB, then ETBU.  I call a toss up there.  If Lc comes out of it 2 & 1 and we end up with a few 1 or 2 loss asc teams... what then?
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Bill McCabe

After watching the MC-HSU game and looking at the stats for the first 4 games, HSU's biggest problem is their lack of defense.  They are giving up too many points.  The offense is scoring, but you have to have some help from the defense.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Toby Taff on September 27, 2009, 09:39:00 AM
Let us not forget a 1-0 LC team that was pretty impressive in its win over HSU.  They play MC next week, then UMHB, then ETBU.  I call a toss up there.  If Lc comes out of it 2 & 1 and we end up with a few 1 or 2 loss asc teams... what then?
LaColl lost to Huntingdon.

Huntingdon is my short list of teams for that 3rd Pool B slot.

crufootball

Was a definitely an ugly win for the Cru, but I will take an ugly 33 point victory any day since it gives Coach Pete and his staff things to yell about this week.

Some interesting quotes from Coach Pete in the TDT which would not make me feel great if I was Kyle Noack.

"I don't think Kyle really accelerated on our zone option," Fredenburg said. "I don't think he was shook up. I just think he was finding his way, and he needs to be more aggressive and decisive on that.

"We were ready to move LiDarral in at any time, but I just wanted to keep our first team in."

"LiDarral is a wonderful QB, and he obviously adds a huge dimension to our offense when he comes in," Fredenburg said. "He's just getting better and better."

CruAlum58

I agree crufootball. Not a pretty win by any means, but the defense and special teams pulled through. This was my first time seeing this years team and these guys look better than ever. Lots of height, no more 5'10 starting guards... The defense was also getting great pressure on the qbusually just bringing the front 4. I know the offense will get going McMurry has a a really talented safety (#3) that took away the vertical passing game.

Looking forward to the webcast next saturday.... Dont take it easy Cru.
Six yards, seven yards Everybody loves PIZZA!
Living Legends
Shock the World
Its beginning to look alot like Christmas........

yessir

5' 10...300lb guards...wonder who that was. HAHA...That's funny.
Walking on thin ice cuz someone lost......again.

Ralph Turner

Top 25 is out, and it appears that UMHB received at least one second place vote.

A perfect 3rd place would be 575 points.  UMHB received 576 points.

If UWW received 23 second place votes and 2 first place votes, they would have had 602 points.

yessir

Wow...Garcon is having a fantastic game tonight...what a sight to see for D3 fans.
Walking on thin ice cuz someone lost......again.

Bill McCabe

I'm anxious to see how MC-LC turns out.  UMHB-HSU is always an interesting game.

crufootball

Does anybody know anythign about the D3 Football Senior Classic?

http://www.d3seniorclassic.com/

I stumbled across it and had not heard about it? I assume its like the Atzec Bowl but in America but not sure.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: crufootball on September 28, 2009, 10:44:10 AM
Does anybody know anythign about the D3 Football Senior Classic?

http://www.d3seniorclassic.com/

I stumbled across it and had not heard about it? I assume its like the Atzec Bowl but in America but not sure.

I haven't heard anything either, but from browsing the web site it looks like another "if you want to pay your own way we'll be happy to call you an all-star" game.  They're sending letters out to 400 kids (based on what criteria, it's unclear) trying to get 90 to sign up.

Players are required to pay their own way there (including travel and hotel), send a $325 "player participation fee", and are responsible for getting at least another $250 in "sponsorship" for a profile page in the program. 

crufootball

Is that fee that much more or less than the Atzec Bowl? I remember hearing players were going to pay there way for the new game in Mexico as well this year.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: crufootball on September 28, 2009, 11:42:07 AM
Is that fee that much more or less than the Atzec Bowl? I remember hearing players were going to pay there way for the new game in Mexico as well this year.

I don't think players had to pay for the real Aztec Bowl (which last played in 2007).  This new 'bowl' in Mexico is another pay-as-you-go affair, don't have the details at hand.  

The real Aztec Bowl made its selections late enough in the season that you could bring the best players, there was none of this 'hey the first 90 to get back to us win'.