Request - NCAA D3 Tournament First Round Locations

Started by Ben Stein Fan, March 02, 2016, 04:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onward on, John Carroll

Quote from: David Collinge on March 02, 2016, 07:07:26 PM
Both JCU and OWU play in bandboxes, both funky in their own ways. I'd guess both gyms will be close to empty for the first game Friday, and sold out for the second, although there might be some wiggle room at OWU.

I've always thought our gym was very ordinary. Interested to hear what you think makes it funky.  Stands on both sides, second levels on each side and a dog pound for the students. It has always seemed very typical to me. We did lose a lot of capacity when they put the chair backs in the lower level - went from 2200 to 1600 - but most D3 schools aren't packing it in night after night. Just curious.

As you said, plenty of seats available for the first game but the second game should be packed -- only thing that might stop that is that the students are on spring break.

AO

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on March 03, 2016, 04:09:45 PM
Both JCU and OWU play in bandboxes, both funky in their own ways. I'd guess both gyms will be close to empty for the first game Friday, and sold out for the second, although there might be some wiggle room at OWU.

I've always thought our gym was very ordinary. Interested to hear what you think makes it funky.  Stands on both sides, second levels on each side and a dog pound for the students. It has always seemed very typical to me. We did lose a lot of capacity when they put the chair backs in the lower level - went from 2200 to 1600 - but most D3 schools aren't packing it in night after night. Just curious.

As you said, plenty of seats available for the first game but the second game should be packed -- only thing that might stop that is that the students are on spring break.
sounds slightly funky.  any good pictures?  couldn't find much with a quick search.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Don't be surprised in the first game at JCU - Scranton tends to travel very well and I would be pretty surprised if people don't figure out how to get to the game from Lynchburg since it is their first since 1979.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

David Collinge

Lynchburg-Scranton is at OWU. Game 1 at JCU is Denison-Alma.

What I find funky about the DeCarlo is the upstairs/downstairs atmosphere, with relatively little downstairs. I got the sense of watching the game being played down in a pit, like gladiators or Christians and lions. It's reminiscent of St. John Fisher in Rochester in this regard. My perception of JCU's gym is colored by being at the friends-and-relatives sectional final a few years ago between UT-Dallas and someone I've forgotten but wasn't JCU.

ronk

Quote from: David Collinge on March 03, 2016, 07:48:51 PM

What I find funky about the DeCarlo is the upstairs/downstairs atmosphere, with relatively little downstairs. I got the sense of watching the game being played down in a pit, like gladiators or Christians and lions. It's reminiscent of St. John Fisher in Rochester in this regard. My perception of JCU's gym is colored by being at the friends-and-relatives sectional final a few years ago between UT-Dallas and someone I've forgotten but wasn't JCU.

Or the Palestra in Rochester which, from the camera angle, was like playing in a dry swimming pool.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - my brain had that backwards... it is so fried these days for obvious reasons.

I was at that JCU sectional that year... it was more than a few years ago ;)

Quote from: ronk on March 03, 2016, 07:54:34 PM

Or the Palestra in Rochester which, from the camera angle, was like playing in a dry swimming pool.

The Palestra in Rochester is one of the iconic gyms in Division III. It is awesome. Yes, feels a little like being in a hockey rink that has been sunk into the ground... but it is awesome.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Onward on, John Carroll

2009. Guilford played UT-D after they beat JCU and Capital, respectively, in the semifinals.

The downstairs used to be as big as the upstairs but was remodeled in 2002 and that's when the capacity was reduced. I think it helps create a better atmosphere for the typical regular season game by giving the appearance of a fuller gym by almost always having a filled lower level.

Either way, fair critique.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Onward on, John Carroll on March 03, 2016, 10:10:34 PM

2009. Guilford played UT-D after they beat JCU and Capital, respectively, in the semifinals.

The downstairs used to be as big as the upstairs but was remodeled in 2002 and that's when the capacity was reduced. I think it helps create a better atmosphere for the typical regular season game by giving the appearance of a fuller gym by almost always having a filled lower level.

Either way, fair critique.
The Guilford- UTDallas game was a classic. UTD led the first 39:58. Guilford's Clay Henson tied it with a 3FG with 0:01 left and then won in OT.

David Collinge

Yeah, it was a great game, but my lasting memory of that weekend is the fabulous, frenetic atmosphere for the Capital and JCU games on Friday, followed by the tomblike ambiance for the sectional final on Saturday. I don't think I've ever experienced a better environment than those Friday games, except maybe the 3OT Wooster/Wittenberg sellout classic about 10 years ago.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I called those games for D3sports - I think I was the only one calling the games period that weekend. It as a great atmosphere on Friday which promised an insane atmosphere for Saturday... until both upsets and we had almost no one there on Saturday.

Guilford/UT-Dallas game was also very good.

I was back at JCU last night for two great games... but instead of staying for Alma/JCU tonight... I am headed down the road to Marietta for what should be a fascinating game between two friends.

David Collinge

I was a stringer for D3hoops.com that weekend. I had to sit courtside with Dave on Friday, because of the crowd. Anyone who knows me knows that courtside is not my thing. Then Saturday I was able to wander around and sit anywhere I wanted, literally. It was great.