MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 17, 2018, 12:34:37 AM
Not a bad choice. Rocky Rococo is almost exclusively a Wisconsin chain nowadays, after the company closed two-thirds of its locations over the past twenty years. They're not as ubiquitous as Culver's, but there are two of them in Appleton.

More importantly, they just opened up a Rocky's in Sheboygan...not that we need another pizza joint in town. We have three Culver's for some reason. I like Culver's because their burgers are made fresh. I really don't like fast food, but as Greg said, it's probably the best fast food. I loved Rocky's growing up as a kid and that was on the strip of our high school hangouts. I've been to the new one in town just once and I'm not going to make it a habit either. There are much better pizza places in town...but I'm not a big "going out to eat" person anyway. Rocky's is probably going to end up being one of those places i always wanted and once we got it, I'll hardly go anyway!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

I have been to Wisconsin 20-30 times and every time I go, I think OK, this is the time we go to Rocky Rococo.  But, we never do.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: WUPHF on April 17, 2018, 09:49:55 AM
I have been to Wisconsin 20-30 times and every time I go, I think OK, this is the time we go to Rocky Rococo.  But, we never do.

You really aren't missing much. It's fast food pizza. However, every Final Four trip to Salem, I've made it a point to stop by a White Castle and/or Waffle House. I have mugs from both establishments, possibly both stolen. I do believe there's a White Castle just north of the Illinois border, but I don't count that one.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

This is only tangentially related, but years ago, the Onion had an article entitled Mason-Dixon Line to be renamed IHOP-Waffle House Line.  There is some truth to that.  Living in Missour-ah, we get both.

I am not sure I have ever seen so much food-related talk on the boards, but what is the off season for?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on April 17, 2018, 10:20:22 AM
This is only tangentially related, but years ago, the Onion had an article entitled Mason-Dixon Line to be renamed IHOP-Waffle House Line.  There is some truth to that.  Living in Missour-ah, we get both.

I am not sure I have ever seen so much food-related talk on the boards, but what is the off season for?

I live just 15 minutes south of the Mason-Dixon Line... while I love the Onion... they may need to check my region... there are IHOPs and Waffle Houses commingling around here. :)

Random knowledge: Waffle Houses are used by the National Weather Service to gauge how severe weather that hits an area: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/09/07/how-fema-uses-waffle-houses-disasters/641145001/
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 17, 2018, 09:43:02 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 17, 2018, 12:34:37 AM
Not a bad choice. Rocky Rococo is almost exclusively a Wisconsin chain nowadays, after the company closed two-thirds of its locations over the past twenty years. They're not as ubiquitous as Culver's, but there are two of them in Appleton.

More importantly, they just opened up a Rocky's in Sheboygan

Well, we're supposedly talking about the hiring of Lawrence's new coach, which is why I brought up Appleton. Years of reading posts from vexed basketball fans who are irate over the fact that a discussion has gone off on a tangent has led me to always look for a way to make posts pertinent to basketball, even if it's subtle. ;)

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 17, 2018, 06:52:02 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 16, 2018, 03:12:11 PM
I've only eaten at a Culver's three or four times. I think it's above average as far as fast-food places go, which is the ultimate faint praise as far as I'm concerned, but I don't go out of my way to rave about Culver's the way that a lot of people in the upper Midwest do.

However, in most of the country, if you're looking for fast food trout, there is literally no other option.

I've never seen trout on a Culver's menu, and it's not advertised in Chicagoland Culver's commercials, so perhaps it's a regional-only thing out west.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 17, 2018, 09:43:02 AMWe have three Culver's for some reason. I like Culver's because their burgers are made fresh. I really don't like fast food, but as Greg said, it's probably the best fast food.

I didn't say Culver's is the best. I said it's above average, which it definitely is. I certainly concede Ryan's point about Culver's having the best fast-food trout by default -- I'd be very surprised if any other fast-food place in America serves trout -- and it's the only fast-food place where you're going to find walleye on the menu as well. (Culver's Chicagoland advertising really pushes the walleye.) Culver's default fish is cod, but that's not exceptional; Wendy's uses cod in its fish sandwiches as well. (McDonald's, for the record, uses pollock ... which I like to think of as being the NAIA of fish  ;) ).

Here in the big city, we have several of the mid-sized fast-food chains aside from Culver's that really draw high marks in the national press -- Five Guys, Red Robin, etc. -- as well as a number of smaller chains that get excellent write-ups for their burgers (I can personally vouch for some of them), such as Epic Burger, M Burger, Schoop's, Meatheads, DMK Burger Bar, and American WildBurger. If you have to settle for McDonald's in Chicago, you're not trying. ;)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 17, 2018, 09:43:02 AMI loved Rocky's growing up as a kid and that was on the strip of our high school hangouts. I've been to the new one in town just once and I'm not going to make it a habit either. There are much better pizza places in town...but I'm not a big "going out to eat" person anyway. Rocky's is probably going to end up being one of those places i always wanted and once we got it, I'll hardly go anyway!

Yeah, there's something to be said for always trying something once, especially if it's a local institution. I've been to a Rocky Rococo while on my way back from a camping trip in Wisconsin. The pizza is nothing to write home about.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 17, 2018, 10:02:45 AMHowever, every Final Four trip to Salem, I've made it a point to stop by a White Castle and/or Waffle House. I have mugs from both establishments, possibly both stolen. I do believe there's a White Castle just north of the Illinois border, but I don't count that one.

In Chicago, White Castle is notorious for being the preferred "drunk food" of young partiers, partly because it's cheap, partly because White Castles tend to be open well into the early hours of the morning -- and partly because someone who's drunk tends to not remember what happened to his lower digestive tract the last time that he ate White Castle sliders. :D

Quote from: WUPHF on April 17, 2018, 10:20:22 AM

This still cracks me up.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

monsoon

Meatheads does a solid burger.

badgerwarhawk

I don't really like Rocky's much either. Typically when I officiate a weekend tournament and we get free food it seems they always have it available so I'll eat a slice.  But I've never gone into the Whitewater franchise and I don't expect that I will. 

I love the Onion.  Their take on things is hilarious.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

gbpuckfan

I guess this is as good a place as any for this

SNC is adding men's volleyball

No other MWC team offers, so it will be an adjunct member for the NACC

https://www.snc.edu/athletics/pressrelease/4589/

St. Norbert College Green Knights
NCAA D3 Hockey National Champions 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
Midwest Conf. football champs: 85, 87, 88, 89, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 06, 07, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18

scottie

How many times did Grinnell play Lancaster Bible College during his tenure there?
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

judgetrainer

Anyone hearing anything now that practice has started?

Lawrence has five first-year players this fall. Not bad for a late hire. No idea who will rebound, though.

TheGreenKnight920

SNC roster is finally up, the usual senior exodus at play again here as I failed to see either Penn or Luteyn, who would have been key contributors. GG can't keep players around...

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: scottie on June 18, 2018, 05:31:49 PM
How many times did Grinnell play Lancaster Bible College during his tenure there?

Never.

What are you driving at?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

scottie

It was so long ago, I forgot.  But it was incredibly witty, I'm sure. 
HEY PAL, DON'T BLOCK THE SHOT!

Greek Tragedy

Long year for Lawrence? They score 4 points in the last 6:32 to hold on for dear life against...Silver Lake, winning 81-79. Yikes!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!