Coolest Gym in each Conference

Started by Smitty Oom, March 16, 2016, 12:11:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty Oom

My teammates and I always talked about what school had the coolest gym in the MIAC, and it was always fun talking about which gyms people liked playing in and which gyms people hated. I think it would be determine (in our own humble opinions   ;D) the coolest gym in each conference! Although I am limited to the Upper midwest, I will give my opinions where I can.

MIAC - Has to be Hutton Arena of Hamline University. Not only does it have the looks and the history (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-02-09/first-intercollegiate-basketball-game-was-played-feb-9-1895)) but it is also very player friendly. I could see some arguing Concordia M'head (but I may be biased  ;))

UMAC - This conference might have the worst gyms in d3, but Northwestern's is actually very neat. Not too big but still has the collegiate feel rather than the high school feel. Probably helps that they also have the best attendance in the conference too.

I would love to hear if you guys like this idea and your opinions on the matter!

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 16, 2016, 12:11:02 AM
My teammates and I always talked about what school had the coolest gym in the MIAC, and it was always fun talking about which gyms people liked playing in and which gyms people hated. I think it would be determine (in our own humble opinions   ;D) the coolest gym in each conference! Although I am limited to the Upper midwest, I will give my opinions where I can.

MIAC - Has to be Hutton Arena of Hamline University. Not only does it have the looks and the history (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2016-02-09/first-intercollegiate-basketball-game-was-played-feb-9-1895)) but it is also very player friendly. I could see some arguing Concordia M'head (but I may be biased  ;))

UMAC - This conference might have the worst gyms in d3, but Northwestern's is actually very neat. Not too big but still has the collegiate feel rather than the high school feel. Probably helps that they also have the best attendance in the conference too.

I would love to hear if you guys like this idea and your opinions on the matter!
Great Idea Smitty.  I'll add a pic and the 360 view (if available) for each gym.  I don't know if the UMAC has the worst gyms, but it's definitely a unique mix from the 4,000 seat Minnesota-Morris P.E. Center to 3 gyms with bleachers on only one sideline and Bethany Lutheran with their bandbox.

Hamline's Hutton Arena:
360 View

Northwestern's Ericksen Center: 360 View

amh63

Nice topic guys!?
Anyway, I have been to many D1 gyms, but fewer D3 gyms.  With regards to NE Gyms, Harvard, with all its money and now high powered HC, has a 2nd floor small gym!  Having dumped on my brother's school, I will stick with the NESCAC schools.  I will wager that the most beloved gym will be the one at Bates College...a bandbox gym.  I will also add Cousens gym as the most unusual gym.  That can be seen on the Tufts University website.  It was recently the site of a NCAA sectional.  The gym had to be renovated in order to meet NCAA standards!

AO

Alumni Gym at Bates College:
No 360, but found this video showcasing a little bandbox atmosphere.

Smitty Oom

AO, what do you think about the MIAC gym? Obviously you agree with the UMAC gym! Yeah I watched a bit of the games at Cousens gym, very cool and uniqgue gym is right.

I enjoy both of those gyms and their old school feels.

MIAC - Hutton Arena (Hamline)
UMAC - Erickson Center (Northwestern)
NESCAC - Alumni Gymnasium (Bates)

sac

Others probably won't agree with me but I like Albion College's Kresge Gymnasium, MIAA.  Built in 1925

AO

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 16, 2016, 02:13:31 PM
AO, what do you think about the MIAC gyms?
A quick ranking.
1. Hamline -historic, great sightlines and Dave Wright brings the ambiance on the PA.
2. Concordia-solely based on my experience at high school playoff games in the mid-90s.  It's a shame they can't figure out to fill it up for the cobbers.
3. Bethel - bouncy floor, fun crowd
4. Gustavus - big and loud but take away a point for bleachers being too far from the court
5. St. John's - More fun high school playoff games, too empty for most games not involving St. Cloud State or St. Thomas
6. St. Thomas - odd they decided to only let fans enter from the floor and not the 2nd level.  Jumbotron currently underutilized.  Not much of an upgrade from the old shoe.
7. Macalester - Also liked the old gym better, but the increase in capacity was necessary and top-down fan entrance is nice.
8. Carleton - Didn't play there but looks nice and bright
9. St. Olaf - Pretty nice that all seats have backs.
10. Augsburg - worst visiting team locker room in the MIAC and mostly apathetic students
11. St. Mary's - Never been. If Winona State can draw big crowds, maybe the cards can someday too.

Smitty Oom

Quote from: sac on March 16, 2016, 03:01:10 PM
Others probably won't agree with me but I like Albion College's Kresge Gymnasium, MIAA.  Built in 1925

Purely just an outsider to the MIAA, so understand that I have never visited any of these gyms, but Hope and Calvin have some pretty dang cool d3 gyms it appears. These two and Albion definitely makes the MIAA a power gym conference!

Hope

Calvin

David Collinge

I can't give a player's perspective, but as a fan, I've been to 7 of the 10 NCAC venues and 6 of the 10 in the OAC, and my favorites by wide margins are Kenyon and Capital, respectively. Outside of Ohio, I like Hanover's gym very much.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Salve Regina is in Newport, RI - famous for its historic robber baron mansions from the gilded age.  The inside of the gym is pretty normal, but the outside, as with the other buildings on campus, is built to fit in with the town motif.  The floor is sunk down a bit from ground level, so it can fit inside a mansion facade.  It's pretty cool.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

AO

Quote from: David Collinge on March 16, 2016, 07:22:52 PM
I can't give a player's perspective, but as a fan, I've been to 7 of the 10 NCAC venues and 6 of the 10 in the OAC, and my favorites by wide margins are Kenyon and Capital, respectively. Outside of Ohio, I like Hanover's gym very much.
Kenyon's Tomsich Arena:

Capital's Performance Arena:
360 View

AO

AO

Quote from: Hoops Fan on March 16, 2016, 09:21:57 PM

Salve Regina is in Newport, RI - famous for its historic robber baron mansions from the gilded age.  The inside of the gym is pretty normal, but the outside, as with the other buildings on campus, is built to fit in with the town motif.  The floor is sunk down a bit from ground level, so it can fit inside a mansion facade.  It's pretty cool.
Salve Regina's Rodger's Basketball Gym:
360 View

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Smitty Oom on March 16, 2016, 06:47:07 PM
Quote from: sac on March 16, 2016, 03:01:10 PM

Purely just an outsider to the MIAA, so understand that I have never visited any of these gyms, but Hope and Calvin have some pretty dang cool d3 gyms it appears. These two and Albion definitely makes the MIAA a power gym conference!

Hope

Calvin

Fixed the Hope picture
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

amh63

AO and other posters here....great to provide pics of mentioned venues.
Just want to clarify my put down of my older brother's school gym.  We are several years apart and are close.  Spent a great deal of time in Cambridge, Ma during my student days...at Amherst and MIT.  Almost went to Harvard and my brother almost went to Amherst.

Keep up the fine work here....learning a lot.