FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

I went back and read a lot of the message board at the beginning of this version, so 2005 I think? And forward. I'm not sure many of those BC guys would have said anything. It was a very different board. I do wish we had more people from different schools. You look back at all the BC guys and E&H guys that have faded away since then. Not unusual and I get it, but it is a shame.

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on February 23, 2016, 10:40:24 AM
I went back and read a lot of the message board at the beginning of this version, so 2005 I think? And forward. I'm not sure many of those BC guys would have said anything. It was a very different board. I do wish we had more people from different schools. You look back at all the BC guys and E&H guys that have faded away since then. Not unusual and I get it, but it is a shame.
Does Stone Station still tailgate at the games home and away?  In their heyday, I helped them get a prime spot at a BC at Guilford game and I attended their tailgate in Bridgewater in 2007.  Last fall, I looked for Stone Station in Bridgewater, but saw no sign of them.  :(

tigerFanAlso2

i don't know but i have not seen them at hsc lately. there does not seem to be too much interest around the bc program any longer. might be tough for some to swallow the fact that bc is middle of the pack in a fairly weak football conference after all of their glory years.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 25, 2016, 04:54:28 PM
i don't know but i have not seen them at hsc lately. there does not seem to be too much interest around the bc program any longer. might be tough for some to swallow the fact that bc is middle of the pack in a fairly weak football conference after all of their glory years.

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. To be honest they are better now than they were before their glory years. This is a school that for had 2 5-5 seasons from 1981 to 1999. Other than that, sub .500. Prior to 2000 they didn't have a season in their hundred year history with more than 6 wins, and they only did that twice in those 101 years. Say what you want, but they are still significantly better since their glory years than they ever were before their glory years.

pg04

It is a bit sad. I've come to the point that I enjoy following D3 as a whole, and not just my own alma mater (which, by the way, has only made the NCAAs the 4 years I went there. I take credit for that a lot even though I have no athletic bone in my body and in no way played for them). I think that this site has a lot of good and intelligent people on it and I enjoy the format.

tigerFanAlso2

JK

good points. can't argue the facts. bc was horrible in 70's. our first team didn't play much after halftime.

so what is the odac going to do in 2017? are most of our teams going to have a 9 game schedule ? 4 ooc games seem almost  an impossible feat to pull off. finding that many teams willing to play is difficult but to find those 4 and fit them around the conference schedule, i don't think it is possible. most conferences complete ooc play in the 3rd week, some after the 2nd week, few after the 1st week. odac schools are looking for ooc games first 4 games on the schedule. good luck with that. i'm predicting a possible 8 game schedule for some odac schools and that will kill recruiting/9 game schedule will hurt, not kill.     

jknezek

I don't think it will be that dire. More than half the league will find 10 games without too much difficulty. Especially if the USASAC ends up unbalanced. The Liberty League will also need games, U Chicago and Wash U may need games. The Builders always need games. And I suspect for at least 2017 W&L will have a flight to California to play the similarly short-scheduled CMS. The WIAC, ASC, NWC, SCIAC and MIAA always need games. These are expensive options, but I'm assuming the ODAC is working very hard to find better ones.

tigerFanAlso2

As you mentioned, all are expensive options. HSC has flown to play a NWC school and the trip is just too long, kids miss too much school, very expensive. The Wabash trip was expensive, but doable. I'd love to have them on the schedule each year but the budget keeps getting in the way. Unless odac schools are willing to travel in a big way,and i don't think they can afford it, i just don't see a 10 game schedule for most odac schools beginning next year. Wesley & Salisbury might be an option, CNU probably not as they are not wanting to renew contract with HSC.   

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 26, 2016, 08:24:47 AM
As you mentioned, all are expensive options. HSC has flown to play a NWC school and the trip is just too long, kids miss too much school, very expensive. The Wabash trip was expensive, but doable. I'd love to have them on the schedule each year but the budget keeps getting in the way. Unless odac schools are willing to travel in a big way,and i don't think they can afford it, i just don't see a 10 game schedule for most odac schools beginning next year. Wesley & Salisbury might be an option, CNU probably not as they are not wanting to renew contract with HSC.

Wesley and Salisbury are in the 10 team NJAC. They only need 1 OOC game per year and it is week 1 when there are lots of options for ODAC teams. It will be expensive to get that 10th game and I do think a couple schools will end up with 9 games if this persists. But I don't see 8. It'll be interesting to see what effect this has on the younger coaches in the league. Coach R, Coach Yoder, even Coach Abell. All 3 have very attractive resumes right now and if they can't play a full schedule, or recruit, it could be a draw to move on.

Scots13

Hate to break up this party, but there is some news coming out of Farmville. Koonce was arrested on Feb. 19th for possession and distribution of pot.

http://www.farmvilleherald.com/2016/02/hampden-sydney-speaks-on-koonce-arrest/

Credit goes to Hannah Davis of the Farmville Herald. Although this isn't the happiest of topics for an article, I like her writing and the coverage she gives to all area schools.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Ouch. That's got to hurt. I can't imagine he will stay at H-SC and if not, that's a big loss. Most important, if this proves true, I hope the young man can get his head straight.

tigerFanAlso2

Scots13, you have any more good news? I heard about this over the weekend. My youngest son is a soph. at HSC and he told me about the arrest. Hopefully the court system will cut him a break and he will learn a life long lesson from this chapter of his life.

Jk

I don't see the younger ODAC coaches hitting the road for awhile. My concern is that Guilford might leave to join the USASAC and really put the odac in the hole.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 26, 2016, 12:57:38 PM
I don't see the younger ODAC coaches hitting the road for awhile. My concern is that Guilford might leave to join the USASAC and really put the odac in the hole.

Lot of travel in all sports in that decision. Football just isn't the driver of programs in DIII like it is in DI. Guilford is a long way from Huntingdon. Like 500 miles. Shenandoah is only 275 or so. The ODAC is remarkably compact and useful and that is very hard to give up. Otherwise you might have seen W&L leave for the SAA...

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on February 26, 2016, 12:57:38 PM
Scots13, you have any more good news? I heard about this over the weekend. My youngest son is a soph. at HSC and he told me about the arrest. Hopefully the court system will cut him a break and he will learn a life long lesson from this chapter of his life.

Jk

I didn't mean this as "good news". The comment about the article was giving Hannah Davis a little credit for her work outside of Prince Edward and surrounding counties. Actually, it's terrible news. And yes, I hope he does get a break but not because he plays football at the local college, but because he's 19 and had a brain fart.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

HSCTiger fan

Scots you sound very concerned about Khyree.  So concerned you announce on a message board  he's been arrested. I'm surprised you posted this. As a high school coach I doubt you run to report bad/embarrassing news when it involves your team. Thanks for the info. And thank you for the geniune concern.

It's unfortunate but I heard today he's on campus and taking his classes. He's a good kid. I hope he gets a break and I hope he still plays football. He needs his football family now more than ever.

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"