FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 17, 2017, 02:29:10 PM
Jk

You are correct regarding how the Ferrum acquisition affects the other sports, but football is the most important sport, not because it is my favorite, but because it draws alumni back to campus every year, keeping those people involved and interested certainly does not hurt the endowment/capital campaigns/annual giving,etc. Attendance at other sporting activities, excepting basketball maybe, is non factor at best. 

So, your predictions for the weekend are ?

I think this is more true for HSC than maybe some of the other schools. Certainly at W&L I really don't think it draws alumni back to campus any more than any other sport. We had Young Alumni weekend one year and football was on the road. The regular Alumni Weekend occurs in the Spring, and sometimes coincides with a home lax game. And while there are more football alumni than soccer, just based on team size, there aren't more football alumni than soccer, lax, swimming, basketball, and baseball combined.

The ODAC had a problem, they solved it with Ferrum. Then they did this. Why they didn't solve it this way, to begin with, seems a puzzle to me. Unless there are rumblings of an ODAC football school moving out. I don't know of any, but that to me is the only reason to have added Ferrum as a full member if SVa was available as a football only option.

Shenandoah 45, Guilford 21
W&L 35, HSC 45
Bwater 28, E&H 31
RMC 52, Apprentice 24

tigerFanAlso2

all good points and I like your HSC vs. W&L pick !!!! 

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 17, 2017, 03:31:44 PM
all good points and I like your HSC vs. W&L pick !!!!

I'm more than a little concerned by W&L's pass defense. And I really have no idea who will or won't be back from injury this week. I'm just not brimming with confidence right now, and going to The Farm is always difficult. That E&H defensive performance was not good. That being said, be wary of the offense. If W&L is close or leading in the 4th, you are going to need to score every possession. The only defense I've seen all season that didn't look like it was dying on the field in the 4th quarter was Wash U. I think there were guys on Guilford's front 7 that didn't want to come back out in the 4th. Sewanee and E&H players looked like they could barely stand.

tigerFanAlso2

I get it, HSC needs to keep the W&L offense off the damn field. if W&L pass defense can't slow down HSC, the final might be 60 to 59.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 17, 2017, 04:25:14 PM
I get it, HSC needs to keep the W&L offense off the damn field. if W&L pass defense can't slow down HSC, the final might be 60 to 59.

That thought has gone through my head more than once or twice. If possessions average 4 minutes, there are 15 in a game. 56-49 does not seem unreasonable because if these defenses can't stop anyone possessions won't average 4 minutes.

HSCTiger fan

This is why I love college football. Each week it's something different. Thru 6 games SU leads nation in passing and WL is less than one yard per game from leading nation in rushing. HSC leads conference in total defense but is 96th in nation. But HSC is the only ODAC team in top 149 in total defense. RMC is 150.

Interestingly all of HSC's remaining games are against teams all ranked in top 50 in nation in total offense. HSC has shown itself to be the most balanced team in ODAC offensively and defensively. We will see over the next month if any of that matters.

My picks this weekend for what it is worth are:

HSC (It's the first time since '10 that BOTH teams are in contention AND HSC has a good defense... WL won in'10.  There have been years that both were in contention but HSC defense was bad.  '11 HSC won with an average at best defense. '12 and '15 WL won with again HSC having sub par defenses. '13 and 14' WL was bad and not in contention and last year HSC was bad and not in contention.  Regardless of the quality of HSC's defense, when both teams have been in contention for ODAC, the games have been the most entertaining games I've watched in ODAC over this timeframe.)

BC (BC is still a good team)

GC (Guilford can't lose 9 ODAC games in a row...can they?)

TAS (I know but I cannot pick RMC for anything)
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

Defensive stats are much better than last year, for sure. As you stated, we'll find out in the next four games just how good the HSC defense is. we all know the problems HSC has had stopping/slowing down the W&L option, I'm hoping last years result will motivate our guys because if last year did not humiliate them, nothing will. Holding W&L to 350 rushing yards would be a good outing and I believe HSC can do it, if we are healthy and the game plan makes sense.
HSC needs first downs, time consuming drives and 35 points. Get that done and I can't help but think we win. If we keep the defense on the field too long, we will not like the result.

HSCTiger fan

Wow an RMC poster!  Welcome to the boards. Did you get a permission slip from Pedro to post?
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

I know all about RMC and they are much improved. SU must get beat for RMC to win the ODAC and at this point in the season, I'm not sure anybody is going to beat them. GC, W&L and HSC all get shots at them so we'll see how that plays out.

Swish3

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 18, 2017, 11:51:02 AM
Wow an RMC poster!  Welcome to the boards. Did you get a permission slip from Pedro to post?

Guess not, 'cause it's gone!

Pat Coleman

To that poster -- you don't actually need a permission slip!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Ah. Yet another brief moment of levity. Always brings back memories of Ali Marpet.

bman

Quote from: jknezek on October 18, 2017, 02:22:49 PM
Ah. Yet another brief moment of levity. Always brings back memories of Ali Marpet.
+k. Greatest.outing.ever.

jknezek

Quote from: bman on October 18, 2017, 10:04:44 PM

Yes. But I give him credit for getting the last laugh on all of us with his NFL career.

bman

Quote from: jknezek on October 18, 2017, 10:51:00 PM
Quote from: bman on October 18, 2017, 10:04:44 PM

Yes. But I give him credit for getting the last laugh on all of us with his NFL career.
No Ill will...I certainly root for him, and watch him when TB is on network TV.  It was just how he did it that was funny.  Most knuckleheads get on and don't really hide who they are and they disappear when they are told to get off the board.  He was literally posing as someone else fishing for compliments...
I'm sure he gets them now in droves though!