Newmac 2017

Started by Off Pitch, June 20, 2017, 07:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blooter442

McLaughlin saved! Clark takes advantage, 3-2.

blooter442

Woo...composed to bottom left. 3-3.

blooter442

Clark on the brink, 4-3.

blooter442

MIT still alive...juuuuuuust beats the keeper for 4-4. Clark to win it...

blooter442

...and the 'keeper of all people steps up and scores! 5-4 in the shootout to Clark, who will face Springfield on Saturday.

blooter442

That's a gutsy move sending your 'keeper up to take the #5 kick. If he misses it looks absolutely foolish (although I suppose that's true of any GK going up to take a PK), but particularly in that #5 slot.

Mr.Right

MIT's #12 the goat of the night with the only miss and had the arrogance to turn his back before hitting it...Stupid move...I just do not think Clark has enough physical bodies to deal with Springfield..They will have to play them differently and sit in compared to tonight..will be interesting hopefully those games are at night

blooter442

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 01, 2017, 09:39:13 PM
MIT's #12 the goat of the night with the only miss and had the arrogance to turn his back before hitting it...Stupid move...I just do not think Clark has enough physical bodies to deal with Springfield..They will have to play them differently and sit in compared to tonight..will be interesting hopefully those games are at night

I just watched it again...that was the stupidest thing. Goalkeepers do that sometimes, but that's to throw off the kicker. When you are the kicker and you have to turn around and re-orient yourself you probably sell where you're going.

Not that I ever played in PK shootouts, but my understanding is the best thing to do is just look at the ball when you're placing it, don't make eye contact with the 'keeper at all, and hit it. The more variables you insert into it, the greater the chance of missing.

Mr.Right

correct..GK'ers either will read eyes 1st than hips...Also, VERY RISKY to have your GK hit #5...you are correct on that..I would never have my GK hit one and also would never use a cold player off the bench that barely played to hit one...

stillwatching

Quote from: blooter442 on November 01, 2017, 09:42:43 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 01, 2017, 09:39:13 PM

I just watched it again...that was the stupidest thing. Goalkeepers do that sometimes, but that's to throw off the kicker. When you are the kicker and you have to turn around and re-orient yourself you probably sell where you're going.

Not that I ever played in PK shootouts, but my understanding is the best thing to do is just look at the ball when you're placing it, don't make eye contact with the 'keeper at all, and hit it. The more variables you insert into it, the greater the chance of missing.

If my son is in line to take a PK in a shootout, he doesn't watch any of his teammates take their kick.  He doesn't want to get pysched out by the GK or overthink what he's going to do.  Coaches have tried to tell him he might pick something up, but this is what he says works for him.   ::) :)

He has a friend on Clark's team, so I was watching the 2nd OT and the kicks.  SO nerve wracking, and I wasn't even there, and had absolutely no vested interest. 

Congrats to Clark, I think they'll have tough sledding against Springfield on Saturday. 

blooter442

Quote from: stillwatching on November 01, 2017, 09:50:31 PM
If my son is in line to take a PK in a shootout, he doesn't watch any of his teammates take their kick.  He doesn't want to get pysched out by the GK or overthink what he's going to do.  Coaches have tried to tell him he might pick something up, but this is what he says works for him.   ::) :)

Honestly I would tend to agree with his approach. Sure, it does sometimes (rarely at the college level in my observations) happen that a GK can be picking one side, but just when you think he's only going that way and you put it the opposite way, he matches you. IMHO it's better to have a plan and stick to it regardless of what others are doing -- as a former competitive runner, the phrase "run your own race" comes to mind (although I did at times stray from that advice...and occasionally it was beneficial!).

If I was sent up to take a PK, went where I decided I was going to go, and it got saved, oh well. That happens. If I was to waffle and try to do it last minute, or went against my initial plan, and it ended up being saved, I'd be much more disappointed.