BB: General Mid-Atlantic Region Discussion

Started by baseball1001, February 18, 2008, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil

blipp,
Ramapo had an in-conference ERA of 7.21, Rowan's was 3.00. Rowan returns their starting pitchers. TCNJ, Rowan, Montclair and Kean averaged 10 runs per game against the Roadrunners.

Admittedly, Ramapo did a great job at the plate last season, but it's pitching that gets you through the NJAC playoffs and Regionals.

hank stein

I was looking at the schedules for the other AMCC teams and I noticed that Frostburg is not making a trip south-that could be a BIG MISTAKE.

Lake Erie - going to Arizona 3/4-3/9

Medaille- going to Florida 3/14-3/19

Penn State (Behrend) going to Florida 3/9-3/15

Pitt-Bradford going to Arizona 3/8-3/14

Pitt-Greensburg - going to Florida 3/9-3/14

Considering they have not even practiced on the field yet (apparently except for their trip to North Carolina), can they be competitive this year? I guess it remains to be seen. Are they having budget problems?

rjburke

Quote from: hank stein on February 22, 2008, 07:35:30 PM
Considering they have not even practiced on the field yet (apparently except for their trip to North Carolina), can they be competitive this year? I guess it remains to be seen. Are they having budget problems?

They had budget problems even last year. Athletic department had its budget cut $25,000.00 (baseball $5,000.00) after school started. "Fundraising" (parents!) covered the gap. The rumor is Coach McKnight didn't want the baseball program cut more this year and that led to his "resignation" and the loss of several key players.

hank stein

I reviewed of the preseason pole, I think La Roche and Pit will finish ahead of Frostburg.

Penn State should finsh No. 1 if their bats stay alive and infielding stays consistent, and La Roche will probably have the consistency to finish 1 or 2 this season, and if Pitt's bats get hot, then they will finish a strong 3rd.

For Frostburg, I belive 4th place. They apparently played well this weekend, and if the senior leadership stays strong and the infield can produce at the plate, they should finish pretty strong. The problem for Frostburg is center and left field. You have 7 players for 2 positions. Thats a problem-maybe good (good talent pool) and maybe bad. (there is already talk of players transferring).

2008 Baseball Preseason Poll
(Regular season finish in 2007)
1. Penn State Behrend (4)
2. Frostburg State (T-1)
3. La Roche (T-1)
4. Pitt-Bradford (5)
5. Medaille (T-1)
6. Pitt-Greensburg (6)
7. Penn State Altoona (9)
8. Mount Aloysius (7)
9. Lake Erie (8)
10. Hilbert (10)

hank stein

Frostburg got swept by Lake Erie. I think they could be in for a long season. Sources indicate Lake Erie looked good. For Frostburg, apparently the seniors are struggling, too many errors and their coach is still playing with the lineup. Sometime change has a rough path.

kate

Major congratulations to Delaware Valley College third base senior, Zach Jakubowski. named player of the year in the MAC!!

hank stein

Any word on any recruiting home runs this spring???? Or what studs have transferred???

RSSmith

Amazing, isn't it, how very few people read this board compared to the other regions?
A walk is never as good as a hit!

Hammer Ball

Apathetic may best describe the Mid-Atlantic Region readers of this board.  Surprising when you consider the NJAC has produced so many high quality teams over the years.  I have often thought there might be a board somewhere else that NJAC followers read.

John McGraw

Quote from: Hammer Ball on February 12, 2010, 01:12:27 PM
Apathetic may best describe the Mid-Atlantic Region readers of this board.  Surprising when you consider the NJAC has produced so many high quality teams over the years.  I have often thought there might be a board somewhere else that NJAC followers read.

The NJAC football board is usually pretty dead during the fall aside from a handful of Rowan posters, a couple of Montclair posters and a few Cortland State posters.

Mr.Baseball

Keystone College should win the CSAC and look to make some noise in the regionals and world series. Don't sleep on this new and up rising team. From the roster I saw posted on the website and from other source that know about the players they are  stacked. I say you will see Kean Vs Keystone in the regional final again this year.

Sprt16

The MAC Commonwealth should be a highly competitive conference this season... I see it coming down to Alvernia and Elizabethtown. They both made it to the 2009 Mid-Atlantic Regional and both had good showings. Etown went 2-2, beating Montclair St. (of the high and mighty, no one can touch us, NJAC) and PSU-Berks. Alvernia also defeated Montclair St. and lost 2-1 to the regional runner-up Keystone. Etown lost 10-8 to Keystone in poor weather conditions, and 5-3 to TCNJ in a game that was suspended over night.  Not bad for two teams from a conference everyone thinks is weak.

Last season, these two teams met 4 times, splitting the games. Alvernia beat Etown over Spring break twice, 1-0 and 10-9. Etown came back and defeated Alvernia on their field twice 6-2, and 6-5 (10 innings). The first matchup pitted two of the best returning pitchers on each squad, Chris Stoudt (Alvernia) and Adam Hartzell (Etown). Hartzell ended with 9 k's, but it was Stoudt's bat that beat the Blue Jays. Hartzell came back and beat the Crusaders later in the year.

Etown's number 2 pitcher this year, Matt Vinagro, also had a good showing against Alvernia last season. He started in the 6-5 victory. The Blue Jays didnt face the Crusaders top 2 pitchers, but know what they are up against.

They are now in the same division after Alvernia comes over from the Freedom Conference.

I still like Etown bc of the experience both Vinagro and Hartzell have gained when pitching well in the regionals last season. Etown also has the experience in the MAC Commonwealth, winning 3 of the last 4 championships and losing the last possible game during that non-championship season.

RSSmith

Now that we have a few games under our belts, let me start the conversation with this assessment of the top ten in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

1.   Johns Hopkins (6-1).  Wins over Concordia (IL) and Concordia (WI) split with Macalester and besides I'm a homer
2.  DeSales (4-4).  Good win over Kean.  Quality losses to Texas Lutheran and Trinity (TX).
3.  Kean (6-4).  Wins over Franklin and Marshall,  Brockport and Old Westbury.  No shame losses to DeSales, Wooster, and Carthage.
4.  Penn State-Behrend (7-1).  Wins over Elizabethtown and Ursinus.  Split with Manhattanville.
5.  William Patterson (4-1-1).  Split with Worcester State.  Wins over UMass Boston and Babson.
6.  Rowan (5-4).  Split with Worcester State.  Wins over Franklin and Marshall, Brockport, and Curry.
7.  Franklin and Marshall (1-2).  One-run losses to Rowan and Kean.
8.  Frostburg State (8-3).  Wins over Old Westbury and Mary Washington.
9.  Haverford (6-2).  Good win over North Park.
10.  Montclair State (3-2).  Wins over North Carolina Wesleyan, Piedmont and Oglethorpe.  Quality losses to Denison and Heidleburg.

RSSmith

Quote from: RSSmith on March 15, 2010, 12:10:37 PM
Now that we have a few games under our belts, let me start the conversation with this assessment of the top ten in the Mid-Atlantic Region.

1.   Johns Hopkins (6-1).  Wins over Concordia (IL) and Concordia (WI) split with Macalester and besides I'm a homer
2.  DeSales (4-4).  Good win over Kean.  Quality losses to Texas Lutheran and Trinity (TX).
3.  Kean (6-4).  Wins over Franklin and Marshall,  Brockport and Old Westbury.  No shame losses to DeSales, Wooster, and Carthage.
4.  Penn State-Behrend (7-1).  Wins over Elizabethtown and Ursinus.  Split with Manhattanville.
5.  William Patterson (4-1-1).  Split with Worcester State.  Wins over UMass Boston and Babson.
6.  Rowan (5-4).  Split with Worcester State.  Wins over Franklin and Marshall, Brockport, and Curry.
7.  Franklin and Marshall (1-2).  One-run losses to Rowan and Kean.
8.  Frostburg State (8-3).  Wins over Old Westbury and Mary Washington.
9.  Haverford (6-2).  Good win over North Park.
10.  Montclair State (3-2).  Wins over North Carolina Wesleyan, Piedmont and Oglethorpe.  Quality losses to Denison and Heidleburg.

If Pappius-Lefebvre is indeed out for the season, remove Haverford from the list.

RSSmith

We're getting into conference play in the Mid-Atlantic region.  Here's how I see the top of the pile:

1.  #19 Johns Hopkins (11-3, 0-0 CC). Last 4 games were pronounced wins over Keene State, #22 Southern Maine, and #14 Eastern Connecticut.  And, I'm a homer.
2.  #7 Kean (9-4, 0-0 NJAC).  Lost 2 to #12 Carthage, split with #3 Wooster, beat Keystone.
3.  Rowan (8-5, 0-0 NJAC).  Beat Wheaton (MA) like a lot of other teams.  Averaging only 5.5 runs per game.
4.  Montclair State (4-3, 0-0 NJAC).  No shame losses to #2 Heidleberg, #20 Shenandoah, and #9 RPI.
5.  Lebanon Valley (9-3, 0-0 MACC).  2 losses to a very good Ferrum team.
6.  Penn State-Behrend (8-2, 0-0 AMCC).  No heavy lifting.  Split with Manhattanville and Thomas More.
7.  DeSales (7-4, 3-0 MACF).  Easy conference wins over lightweight opposition. Won't be challenged until March 30 at Montclair State.
8.  Widener (6-3, 0-0 MACC).  Won 2 from Farmingdale.  Good losses to #11 Augustana and #16 Rose Hulman.
9.  Frostburg State (12-5, 0-0 AMCC).  Stomped Washington College.
10.  Franklin & Marshall (5-6-1, 0-0 CC).  Good win against Averett, but got swept by defending Southern Region champ #20 Shenandoah.  Dips will be glad to start conference play.