FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Rossi

There has not been an interview with a parent broadcast since 2015.  Again, please name any subsequent parental interview broadcast -- or cease and desist from that line.  I'm serious at this point about that.

An offer has publicly been made here to interview Fulford.  I've yet to hear a response.  However, his attorney's comments were issued on my Twitter feed and JB retweeted them. If you have the inside track you claim, then feel free to ask him why he defaulted on a payment plan for his traffic offenses and finally paid them when he realized he was being watched a lot more carefully.  I'm glad you keep bringing it up because it's a question that goes along with the missed court dates that I think everyone would like to know about.  So, please, feel free to set up this interview you keep insisting needs to happen.  But we won't be broadcasting an interview with his mom, much like we didn't broadcast an interview with Poorman's dad.  Just making sure you have that straight.  You're the one that keeps referencing the need for this interview -- so go to work, Buddy.

And you're definitely not going to bully me like you bully everyone else -- because I won't let you.  It's pretty clear you know nothing about who I am aside from what you don't watch on ITH.  Oh well.  Research is part of integrity in this field -- and trust me, I do plenty of it, as does JB. 

merlecanlas

Quote from: Frank Rossi on April 11, 2018, 05:59:10 PM
There has not been an interview with a parent broadcast since 2015.  Again, please name any subsequent parental interview broadcast -- or cease and desist from that line.  I'm serious at this point about that.

An offer has publicly been made here to interview Fulford.  I've yet to hear a response.  However, his attorney's comments were issued on my Twitter feed and JB retweeted them. If you have the inside track you claim, then feel free to ask him why he defaulted on a payment plan for his traffic offenses and finally paid them when he realized he was being watched a lot more carefully.  I'm glad you keep bringing it up because it's a question that goes along with the missed court dates that I think everyone would like to know about.  So, please, feel free to set up this interview you keep insisting needs to happen.  But we won't be broadcasting an interview with his mom, much like we didn't broadcast an interview with Poorman's dad.  Just making sure you have that straight.  You're the one that keeps referencing the need for this interview -- so go to work, Buddy.

And you're definitely not going to bully me like you bully everyone else -- because I won't let you.  It's pretty clear you know nothing about who I am aside from what you don't watch on ITH.  Oh well.  Research is part of integrity in this field -- and trust me, I do plenty of it, as does JB.

I'm a bully?  weird.  Maybe a jerk, a-hole, a bunch of other names, but never a bully.  I actually can't think of any way that I have "bullied" you.
To each his own.

I never said that I had any inside track to Fulford.  The kid has made mistakes, much like almost every other 19-21 year old in America.  I am simply asking for your insight into the "motivation and drive" of the likely preseason D3 offensive player of the year.  I think that would be something that the d3 fans would enjoy reading about.  It looks more and more likely that you misspoke but are unwilling to admit your mistake.    It's ok, the d3boards are a loving place.  It will all be forgotten by September anyways

OzJohnnie

This board has put Johnnie/Tommie week to shame.  Classic.
[  

jamtod

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 11, 2018, 09:08:42 PM

This board has put Johnnie/Tommie week to shame.  Classic.

Don't you mean Tommie/Johnnie week? If the Johnnies ever win one again I will happily list them first.

OzJohnnie

[  

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on April 11, 2018, 10:33:55 PM

You win.

Aw, don't give in so readily - the order of the alphabet is on your side! ;D

formerd3db

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 11, 2018, 10:36:05 PM

You win.

Good grief!  If only we had a slight similarity of this rather pertinacious debate over on our MIAA board!  Any suggestions? :o ;D :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

skunks_sidekick

Frank,

If you have paid attention to this board for the last umpteen years, you wouldn't have to ask the validity or bonafides of my source of informaton.  It's not what it used to be (times change and life gets in the way of a lot of fun D-III board play), but it really isn't a question for people that know me, and that includes a few of your colleagues on the site. 

As to our friend at the Alliance Review, I will give that man props for being "all Mount all the time".  He covers Mount WBB, Mount WVB, Mount M/W indoor track, and all other things related to UMU sports.  A man's gotta eat, and in my opinion (and I don't know him personally at all) he is reporting in the most positive spin way when it comes to UMU sports.  You realize it's Alliance, OH right?

At this point I will sit back and let the "Frank & Merle" show continue, and appreciate the fun folly that is this D-III board.  Pat!  Thanks for many years of fun, amusement, and for giving me my own little escape.

Yippee!!!   ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: formerd3db on April 11, 2018, 11:34:47 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 11, 2018, 10:36:05 PM

You win.

Good grief!  If only we had a slight similarity of this rather pertinacious debate over on our MIAA board!  Any suggestions? :o ;D :)

Somewhere in MIAA-land there must be a merle clone. :o

[Though "merle clone" is a truly terrifying thought. ::)]

Frank Rossi

In what I can only term as one of the most surreal moments in my 23 years of football coverage, I received a request to have a discussion from D'Angelo Fulford earlier tonight via Twitter.  Apparently, someone had sent him screenshots of some of the comments on social media/message boards, especially mine, from the past couple days.  He wanted to set the record straight about some stuff because he felt that as an attorney, my word carried more clout than most people who post — and some of my words didn't feel right or justified to him.  When we spoke, I reminded him up front that technically, I couldn't have the conversation with him in the journalistic sense.  I didn't have permission from Mount Union or his Florida attorney, Michael Dutko, to interview him.  However, he wanted to have a man-to-man talk about some of the things stated, and I felt I owed him that much at the very least as just a D3 fan and human being.  By the end of the conversation, I realized there were some things we talked about that I needed to clarify concerning past statements made over the past five months — not just the last two days.  He was okay with me sharing some level of what we discussed.

First, he stated up front that he was most irritated by insinuations concerning his drive and motivation in the past and in the future.  He stated first that Poorman and Davis indeed did make him a better quarterback because of their level of competition — especially Poorman's drive and determination while competing with him in camp.  But he stated he has many other things that drive him and motivate him — including aspects of his own history (his family life growing up was not the easiest situation from what he described, including his father being missing for most of his formative years) and aspects of wanting to continue the winning tradition of Mount Union (repeating and three-peating like prior Mount Union teams did).  He told me the story of camp last year — that he clearly won the starting job from what he was told — but admitted that Poorman in his mind wasn't just a "backup quarterback."  He claims Poorman could start anywhere in the country, but at Mount Union, Poorman came up against a situation where the competition was fierce and Fulford won it.  It was a refreshing moment in some senses since the stories we heard along the way made us wonder how the relationship would be once the two part company.  It looks like some level of mutual respect does exist — and that's a very mature thing for 20-year-old men to exhibit.

Second, Fulford is absolutely determined to tell his story — when he's able to.  He detailed aspects of his legal story last year.  We didn't discuss the present felony case in Florida much beyond him assuring me that his attorney and he are handling it in a methodical, appropriate manner for him to prove his case (out of respect for Attorney Dutko, I didn't press that further).  Once it is over, I sense he will find a venue to tell his whole story, including how the situation seemed to spin out of control without him having a real chance to explain what happened before, during, and after the traffic violation in Ohio that started all of this scrutiny.  As an attorney, I'm not comfortable discussing any more of this part of the conversation beyond saying his attitude about the legal issues is one part disbelief, one part frustration, and one part anxiety about what's being said about him without him having the chance to explain his side.

Finally, in the 40 minutes we talked, he came across as much more human than I think those in control of his narrative have allowed him to seem to folks outside Mount Union.  He's passionate and confident about his ability, as most people suggest, but he also is aware of the pitfalls that await if he takes his eye off the prize.  I reminded him of the same thing I reminded Poorman of while we talked to him off-camera: their goals are both to win the National Championship, but they both have some tough games during the regular season.  For Mount Union, the OAC will have a couple chances for surprises if I had to guess, with JCU always waiting to shock the Raiders.  For UMHB, the ASC may be, from top to bottom, as good as conferences get this year with Hardin-Simmons, Louisiana College, ETBU, etc., not to mention the challenging UMHB-Albright OOC game.  The drive and motivation that they both have for a Championship win has to focus itself on the regular season first because one loss can sidetrack their ultimate goal completely.  Both of them have said they understand that — and if they do and play their best ball next season around the teams they have, we may indeed get the QB matchup we're all quietly suggesting would be unprecedented in the Stagg Bowl.

A lot more was discussed, but I wanted to get these points out there out of fairness to D'Angelo.  I told him he's welcome to come on our show when he's able to speak out about his entire story after the Florida case is completed (hopefully before football season begins to eliminate that albatross for him).  But I told him, no matter what, go on our show, Pat's podcast, or find Jeff Zupanic and tell his story — I don't care what venue he uses.  He deserves to be heard and to let folks form their opinions in a much more informed way, like Poorman was able to do last week on ITH.  Naturally, I didn't agree with everything he said over the 40 minutes tonight, but I agreed with A LOT more than I disagreed with.  Which leads me to my original point from a couple days ago — instead of focusing too much on the history of past camps, last year's rings, and other issues we don't fully comprehend from the past, let's focus on the future and who can win in 2018.  It sounds like he wants that as much as anyone, especially when he is able to just let it all out and tell his story once and for all before moving forward without looking back.

D'Angelo, thanks for the call earlier and for your time and candor.  It took guts to do it under the circumstances, and I hope it helped you clear your own head a bit in a positive way.  Kickoff 2018 isn't too far away — thank goodness for all our sakes!

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Wow!  Thanks for sharing Frank and D'Angelo!
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

MUC57

^^^^ What K and J's Dad said. Where is Merle?
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

HScoach

^  his mom hasn't gotten him up for school yet
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

MUC57

HScoach

+k for that one. A classic!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

emma17

All the contentiousness aside, I'm curious to see if Poorman truly can bring UMHB a championship, or even be an effective starter for them. As for Poorman being able to "start for any team in the country", I assume this statement shouldn't be taken literally- right?
Heck, I don't know if Fulford could start for any team in the country. His style works great in the Mt system, which features stud athletes at receiver and a likely underrated offensive line. Underrated or not, they are very good and the QB benefits from the multiple weapons on offense.