MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

sac

Hope 66 Trine 59

Didn't finish pretty I imagine......

Bunn 20, Venema 18, Krombeen 14.............zero bench points

Rogers 17, Jackson 17   

sac

Olivet and Adrian are both going to win, all 4 home teams/top seeds move on........

6pm Fri at Calvin College:   Adrian vs Hope, followed by Olivet v Calvin

@Hope 79 Adrian 63
@Adrian 73 Hope 68

@Calvin 65 Olivet 61
@Olivet 84 Calvin 61

sac

The other two finals

Olivet 78 Albion 66............an oddity, leading scorers for Olivet, McClary 22, Evans 22 for Albion, Hutton 24, Cruse 24

Adrian 71 Kalamazoo 49.....Mosley with 23

almcguirejr

Andy Venema line:

6-6 FG    1-1 3ptFG   5-5FT   

almcguirejr

It was great to see some Calvin students at the game tonight.  They were loud and created a a better atmosphere.

I was told Matt Veltema now has 999 pts in his career.

oldknight

After an opening 20 minutes that was uncomfortably akin to Saturday's overtime win, Calvin methodically carved up Alma in the second half at Van Noord. Once the Knights established a double digit lead the game speeded up, taking the Scots out of their comfort zone. Calvin completely dominated the boards 45-21 and Alma was unable to bank in a single triple. When Silverthorn airballed a shot in the first half, a surprising Calvin student section got energized, commenced the standard "air ball" chant every time Silverthorn touched the ball and--to my amazement--kept it up the entire game. The Knight student section acted much like the neighborhood dog that refuses to stop barking at anyone who dares walk past his owner's home. The student's peskiness was nice to see and seemed to affect Silverthorn who went 2-11. Where have these fans been all year? I hope they show up this weekend--and bring some friends.

AndersDY

It seems like Friday sets up to be far more competitive than would usually be expected. I can't imagine there are many years where the 1-4 and 2-3 games both feature matchups which were split during the year. The Game IV for Saturday would seem to be the most likely outcome, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising for either half of that matchup to fall on Friday.
"You can say 'no,' and I can say 'yes,' and my word has THREE letters."

almcguirejr

Quote from: oldknight on February 20, 2010, 09:45:38 PM

As it turns out, Thaler's 3 ball was the only triple he made the entire year in 3 attempts covering 485 minutes of playing time for Isaac. When he got the ball around the arc you could see he didn't want to put it up but at the last moment realized he had no choice. Thaler simply shot putted the ball which seemed to catch the left crotch, simultaneously hitting the backboard and rim, bouncing high in the air and then falling through. I still am trying to figure out how it went in.

It looked like Brad Schnyders went to school on that shot.  Last night he put up a free throw just like it.  He put it up way too hard but the ball just died when it caught the backboard and rim at the same time. The ball just fell into the net, one of the ugliest free throws ever

Intangir

Quote from: oldknight on February 24, 2010, 11:48:11 PM
After an opening 20 minutes that was uncomfortably akin to Saturday's overtime win, Calvin methodically carved up Alma in the second half at Van Noord. Once the Knights established a double digit lead the game speeded up, taking the Scots out of their comfort zone. Calvin completely dominated the boards 45-21 and Alma was unable to bank in a single triple. When Silverthorn airballed a shot in the first half, a surprising Calvin student section got energized, commenced the standard "air ball" chant every time Silverthorn touched the ball and--to my amazement--kept it up the entire game. The Knight student section acted much like the neighborhood dog that refuses to stop barking at anyone who dares walk past his owner's home. The student's peskiness was nice to see and seemed to affect Silverthorn who went 2-11. Where have these fans been all year? I hope they show up this weekend--and bring some friends.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the student section was there for the Saturday game as well and as soon as Alma started into their slow-down, all 3 point shooting offense, they recognized it at were having none of it.  I've got kind of mixed emotions about the actual cheering though, one hand, considering the student section has been basically mute the whole year, to have them being loud and obnoxious is fantastic.  On the other, I've never like the type of chants which single out opposing players (such as 'airball'), it's just mean spirited and unnecessary.  I've always thought fans should stick to cheering for their team, not against the opposing, but it was good to see them involved.

Anyway, as for the game itself, as I said, Alma did try for a repeat of Saturday's game with their offense, frequently holding the ball at half court until about 10-15 seconds left on the shot clock before trying to find someone for an open 3.  Thankfully for Calvin, they had nowhere near the hot touch they did on Saturday and Calvin's defense gave them quite a few shot-clock violations as well.  Calvin's offense looked better as well, they did get some good inside play from Mantel, Shuster and Campbell.  There were a few times when it looked like everyone was just standing around waiting for someone else to do something but overall they looked pretty good.  

Also, it seems to me like Schnyders and Snikkers are going to be very fun to watch the next few years, they two seem to make a good pair and look like two of the most purely athletic players Calvin has had since I've been following them.  

I definitely agree that both games tomorrow could go either way very easily depending on who's firing on all cylinders.  Gonna be a fun night.

Good luck to everyone on Friday!

wiz

Quote from: Intangir on February 25, 2010, 07:18:18 AM
Also, it seems to me like Schnyders and Snikkers are going to be very fun to watch the next few years, they two seem to make a good pair and look like two of the most purely athletic players Calvin has had since I've been following them.  

Snikkers is a Freshman and has three years left.  Schnyders is a junior and has only one year left.  With that said, however, Calvin will still be a very fun team to watch the next few years.

Intangir

Quote from: wiz on February 25, 2010, 08:16:01 AM

Snikkers is a Freshman and has three years left.  Schnyders is a junior and has only one year left.  With that said, however, Calvin will still be a very fun team to watch the next few years.

Hm yeah I was thinking they were both freshman, probably should of checked first.  Either way though, I've enjoyed seeing them so far this year and look forward to more.  I also want to mention Paul Campbell as someone who's become really fun to watch this year, especially for a guy who doesn't generally put up a lot of big numbers, he plays great on defense and seems like he's really improved on offense as well.  I think I remember seeing KVS mentioned how he's contributed as well, so I'm glad he's getting some notice from the team.

ziggy

Quote from: Intangir on February 25, 2010, 09:31:03 AM
Quote from: wiz on February 25, 2010, 08:16:01 AM

Hm yeah I was thinking they were both freshman, probably should of checked first.  Either way though, I've enjoyed seeing them so far this year and look forward to more.  I also want to mention Paul Campbell as someone who's become really fun to watch this year, especially for a guy who doesn't generally put up a lot of big numbers, he plays great on defense and seems like he's really improved on offense as well.  I think I remember seeing KVS mentioned how he's contributed as well, so I'm glad he's getting some notice from the team.

Paul has been recognized during post game interviews on numerous occasions. I like that he doesn't seem to get rattled by a bad play. An air ball or foul doesn't seem to get to him.

Dark Knight

Quote from: oldknight on February 24, 2010, 11:48:11 PM
When Silverthorn airballed a shot in the first half, a surprising Calvin student section got energized, commenced the standard "air ball" chant every time Silverthorn touched the ball and--to my amazement--kept it up the entire game. The Knight student section acted much like the neighborhood dog that refuses to stop barking at anyone who dares walk past his owner's home. The student's peskiness was nice to see and seemed to affect Silverthorn who went 2-11. Where have these fans been all year? I hope they show up this weekend--and bring some friends.

It was interesting to see this develop. The student section started out as its normal, quiet self. But when Alma repeatedly held the ball for 20 seconds near the half court line, the students started grumbling, then complaining, then yelling "boring" at full voice. By the time Silverthorn airballed, they were primed and looking for something to yell about.