2015 NCAA TOURNAMENT THREAD

Started by lastguyoffthebench, November 09, 2015, 03:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wisco21

As long as you keep everyone's privelidge in check, PC Benchwarmer   ;D

Mr.Right

No one has any predictions yet?  I got to get a spread out first I guess. One Semi-Final at a time. All in bananas of course.

SPREAD                                                                     BANANA LINE                                                                                  TOTAL

Amherst          -1/2     +125                                                         +145                                                                              Over             2  1/2                   +105

Oneonta St     +1/2     -200                                                          +175                                                                              Under          2   1/2                   -120

Draw / PK's                                                                                   +220

Mr.Right

SPREAD                                                                    BANANA LINE                                                                                     TOTAL

Loras                -1/2          -125                                                +150                                                                                     Over       2 1/2                 -120

Calvin               +1/2         -175                                                +200                                                                                     Under     2 1/2                 +100

Draw / PK's                                                                              +240

Christan Shirk

D3soccer.com's first coach's interview has been published.

November 30, 2015
Interview: Dan Rothert, Loras men's coach
The 18-year head coach of the Loras Duhawks talks to D3soccer.com about
his team's make-up and playing style, the culture and squad depth he's built
over the years, the use of a sweeper, and winning their first semifinal.

By Ryan Harmanis

Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

KICKIN95

My predictions for Friday:
Amherst 2-1 On St

Loras 2 -1 Calvin
Master of all things "DuHawk"

Dubuquer

Good interview with Rothert.  I love the emphasis on developing players off the reserve squad, rather than simply recruiting top players or transfers.  Also the acknowledgement that "Johnny Rummelhart up top, he's just one of the most freakish athletes at the Division III level at any sport." 

lastguyoffthebench

BANANA LINE PARLAY:  8.6/1 ODDS

AMHERST/ONEONTA ST:  DRAW +220
CALVIN WIN: +200

PaulNewman

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 30, 2015, 02:39:44 PM
D3soccer.com's first coach's interview has been published.

November 30, 2015
Interview: Dan Rothert, Loras men's coach
The 18-year head coach of the Loras Duhawks talks to D3soccer.com about
his team's make-up and playing style, the culture and squad depth he's built
over the years, the use of a sweeper, and winning their first semifinal.

By Ryan Harmanis

Exceptionally well-executed interview.  Well done by both RH and Coach Rothert.  Great insight into the Loras program.

Let's go Duhawks!

D3soccerwatcher

Here are my picks...

Calvin - 1
Loras -0
With Calvin allowing only 1 goal in their last 11 games, and with Loras not really having a bonafide goal scorer or two, I think this game will go to Calvin.  Although is it statistically very unlikely that Loras would lose another Final 4 match in a row.  So for this one I'm going will my feeling more than what the odds might indicate.

SUNY Oneonta  - 1
Amherst - 0
With SUNY Oneonta allowing no goals in their last 9 games, and with Amherst only winning 3 of their last 5 games, I'm picking SUNY Oneonta to win.  Also Amherst doesn't even seem to be sure who they are playing as they have listed Oneonta State as their opponent for this weekend.  Either that's a gross oversight, or could it be the private school taunting the "lowly state college" (as SUNY Oneonta doesn't seem to refer to themselves as that anywhere) -- either way some additional motivation for SUNY Oneonta (OK maybe trying to stir up some controversy where none exists).  Still I'm going with SUNY Oneonta to win.

Flying Weasel

Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on November 30, 2015, 11:33:58 PMAlso Amherst doesn't even seem to be sure who they are playing as they have listed Oneonta State as their opponent for this weekend.  Either that's a gross oversight, or could it be the private school taunting the "lowly state college" (as SUNY Oneonta doesn't seem to refer to themselves as that anywhere) -- either way some additional motivation for SUNY Oneonta (OK maybe trying to stir up some controversy where none exists).

Someone might want to let their basketball team know they aren't Oneonta State.

from http://www.oneontaathletics.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Someone might want to let their bookstore know they aren't Oneonta State.

from http://reddragonoutfitters.oneonta.edu/SiteText.aspx?id=28431

I think this must be a recent shift for the athletics program to phase out the references to "Oneonta State" in preference of "SUNY Oneonta".  Looking at the logos and branding on their athletics website now, you are correct that it's either "SUNY Oneonta" or simply "Oneonta" or "O", but go to this Google search and you'll see recently used logos/wordmarks/branding that used "Oneonta State".  I hadn't noticed the shift, so I can't say when it started, but it certainly isn't long ago that their own athletics website was still using "Oneonta State" in its visual identity.

Mr.Right

converting opinions which are held on authority into opinions which are held on the basis of one's own conviction does not necessarily alter the content of those opinions, and it certainly does not thereby replace error with truth.

Christan Shirk

D3soccer.com's second coach's interview has been published.

December 1, 2015
Interview: Justin Serpone, Amherst men's coach
The 9th-year head coach of the Amherst Lord Jeffs talks to D3soccer.com about
winnng for the players that came before, his team's playing style, key players and
leaders, and grinding to the Final Four.

By Ryan Harmanis
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Sherlock Holmes

Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 01, 2015, 08:16:06 AM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on November 30, 2015, 11:33:58 PMAlso Amherst doesn't even seem to be sure who they are playing as they have listed Oneonta State as their opponent for this weekend.  Either that's a gross oversight, or could it be the private school taunting the "lowly state college" (as SUNY Oneonta doesn't seem to refer to themselves as that anywhere) -- either way some additional motivation for SUNY Oneonta (OK maybe trying to stir up some controversy where none exists).

Someone might want to let their basketball team know they aren't Oneonta State.

from http://www.oneontaathletics.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Someone might want to let their bookstore know they aren't Oneonta State.

from http://reddragonoutfitters.oneonta.edu/SiteText.aspx?id=28431

I think this must be a recent shift for the athletics program to phase out the references to "Oneonta State" in preference of "SUNY Oneonta".  Looking at the logos and branding on their athletics website now, you are correct that it's either "SUNY Oneonta" or simply "Oneonta" or "O", but go to this Google search and you'll see recently used logos/wordmarks/branding that used "Oneonta State".  I hadn't noticed the shift, so I can't say when it started, but it certainly isn't long ago that their own athletics website was still using "Oneonta State" in its visual identity.

Just a little "inside baseball" talk here...the way it's listed on their men's soccer schedule has nothing to do with Amherst and everything to do with PrestoSports, their content management system. When you go to schedule a game in Presto, it has all possible opponents listed in their system, and you have to select what they have it labeled as. In this case, it appears Presto themselves haven't made the switch from Oneonta State to SUNY Oneonta. If you look elsewhere on Amherst's men's soccer page, like in the preview they posted for example, they use the SUNY Oneonta terminology.

Mr.Right

A couple points I took away from the Serpone interview. In total random order.

1.  He really cares for his players and they work their ass off for him and themselves. That is most definitely a "culture" he changed when he arrived at Amherst. That to me is the biggest difference between Amherst prior to Serpone's arrival and now. They always had talent (2012 is the exception as that was the most talented Amherst side I have ever seen by a wide margin) but the players never had the work rate they do now under Serpone.

2.  He has officially jinxed GK Thomas Bull with the MLS reference. Alot of eyes will be on Bull, can he perform under even more scrutiny? You better believe that will be bulletin board material for Byrne motivating his players to knock a few in the back of the net.

3. A coach using the terms "dude" and "chill", I would need some time to get used to. But hey it is a different era. Rothert looks like he is the same way. Not a negative thing just something I would pick up on.

4. You can bet he got the better of the 2 scouting reports as Haverford's Head Coach is a former Amherst assistant.

5. His evaluation of NPL is very accurate especially what other coaches thought about him when he was getting recruited. He was passed over by some good schools who wish they could have predicted his development as a player. Serpone took a chance and he nailed that one. It happens to every coach at every school as you are not going to always make the right decisions recruiting. NPL reminds me alot of Bowdoin's 2007 graduate all-star Nick Figueiredo. They are different players but they were recruited the same way. Coaches in Nescac and Ivies backed off because they were not sure he was physical enough and Ainscough up at Bowdoin took a chance. He ended up being IMO in 2006 and 2007 one of the best Nescac players the league had. I believe Figueiredo ended up with about 40 goals in his career and had so much skill and composure. He also improved steadily every year( like NPL) and his teammates would look to him if they needed a big goal.

6. He knows his team better than anyone but I just cannot agree with the Orozco analysis. Just is not my cup of tea and personally i think he slows them down when they are attacking but he is a physical force and Oneonta will KNOW when he is in the game.

Part_Bart

Quote from: Sherlock Holmes on December 01, 2015, 02:04:12 PM
Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 01, 2015, 08:16:06 AM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on November 30, 2015, 11:33:58 PM

Just a little "inside baseball" talk here...the way it's listed on their men's soccer schedule has nothing to do with Amherst and everything to do with PrestoSports, their content management system. When you go to schedule a game in Presto, it has all possible opponents listed in their system, and you have to select what they have it labeled as. In this case, it appears Presto themselves haven't made the switch from Oneonta State to SUNY Oneonta. If you look elsewhere on Amherst's men's soccer page, like in the preview they posted for example, they use the SUNY Oneonta terminology.

Great insider insight. I'll add that the State University of New York (SUNY) system central administration has asked each of its 64 campuses to emphasize the SUNY aspect (SUNY at Buffalo, SUNY at Oneonta) as part of the effort to have students see SUNY as an integrated system (and to allow for 'seamless transfer' of courses among them).  So, the recent emphasis on SUNY over the traditional naming based on institution type (Oneonta State College of NY was at one time their name). Pretty sure it matters not to the Oneonta players.

Reminds me of the old line: "...call me anything you like, just don't call me late to dinner."