D3 Football on Fox and ESPN3

Started by Captain Bob, October 01, 2011, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Bob

MEADVILLE, Pa. – Even if you are not traveling to Meadville to watch the Case Western Reserve University football team battle Allegheny College on Saturday, don't worry, there are plenty of ways to follow the action.

The game will air live on Fox College Sports Atlantic with John Sanders (play-by-play) and Ellis Cannon (color commentary) on the call.

Time Warner - Channel 319 (Sports Pass Package)
AT&T U-verse - Channel 647
DirecTV - Channel 617 or 623
Dish Network - Channel 425 or 428

Allegheny has also announced that ESPN3 has added the broadcast to its Saturday schedule. The game will share the time slot with just one other event across the country -- the University of Cincinnati vs. Miami University (Ohio) Division I football game. Case at Allegheny is the only Division III game that will air on the ESPN family of networks this week.

ESPN3.com

In addition, the Case Western Reserve broadcast team of Dave Wilson (play-by-play) and Ed Daugherty (color commentary) will provide live audio via http://tv.case.edu/athletics.

Fans can also follow with live statistics at: http://www.sidearmstats.com/allegheny/football/
Source: http://www.d3football.com/seasons/2011/contrib/201109306dxr0c

I think this exposure is a great thing for D3.  I am somewhat new to the D3 scene and so I'm wondering how often we have gotten any sort of attention from ESPN or similar in the past, and if this may be a sign of things to come.  My hope is that with all the drama over the summer of the NFL (and NBA) lockout more people will be interested in the collegiate atmosphere.

FCGrizzliesGrad

The game will share the time slot with just one other event across the country -- the University of Cincinnati vs. Miami University (Ohio) Division I football game.
When I first read that I was surprised that only 1 other game would be on at that time. Actually it's 1 other game starting at that time. There's 2 games starting at 12:30pm and 6 games starting at noon. So there will be 9 other games rather than just 1.

I don't know about how often they show games on espn3, but I'm thinking they show the Whitewater-Mt Union Stagg Bowl on either ESPN or ESPN2
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Pat Coleman

There are occasionally games on Fox College Sports -- I watched a game on there last year. Them filtering up to ESPN3 is new, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CruFrenzy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 01, 2011, 10:43:09 AM
There are occasionally games on Fox College Sports -- I watched a game on there last year. Them filtering up to ESPN3 is new, though.
Pat, do you know if there might be any chance of any a major network airing any D3 playoff games this year besides the stagg bowl? Maybe the semis?
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

FCGrizzliesGrad

It may not be the quite the same as showing a full game, but D3 got the Top Play on ESPN... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCL-QxQJTuI Pacific against Lewis and Clark

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

ADL70

Platteville@Whitewater Tues 8 EDT FCSC
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: CruFrenzy on October 01, 2011, 08:09:59 PM
Pat, do you know if there might be any chance of any a major network airing any D3 playoff games this year besides the stagg bowl? Maybe the semis?

Just read this in the handbook that was linked over in the Pool B thread...
Order of Events
All first-round, second-round and quarterfinal games will start at noon, local time.
Semi-final games will be televised on a ESPN platform and subject to change from
the noon time. Any other starting time must be approved by the Division III Football
Committee.

Basketball
2015 Nat'l Pickem

Soccer

Pat Coleman

Yeah -- there's been talk about that but I am not sure how formal it is or how it will be conducted. Odds are it's direct to ESPN3 but even if so, that's great for Division III.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CruFrenzy

Yeah! That would still be great! Thanks guys!
2016, 2018 & 2021 National Champions :)

K-Mack

Old topic, but FWIW ... everyone asking how good Mount Union is and has DirecTV's Sports Pack. Ch. 662 at 5 a.m. and noon SportsTimeOhio is airing the MU-Widener replay.

As is now custom, the semis will be on TV next week. May be a struggle to get them on whatever channels, and since the videos have been fairly consistent this year, might not even be that much of an upgrade. Especially if local guys know the teams and ESPN's don't. But we'll take what we can get.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

AO

Quote from: K-Mack on December 01, 2012, 08:52:12 PM
Old topic, but FWIW ... everyone asking how good Mount Union is and has DirecTV's Sports Pack. Ch. 662 at 5 a.m. and noon SportsTimeOhio is airing the MU-Widener replay.

As is now custom, the semis will be on TV next week. May be a struggle to get them on whatever channels, and since the videos have been fairly consistent this year, might not even be that much of an upgrade. Especially if local guys know the teams and ESPN's don't. But we'll take what we can get.
some local webcasts do a good job, but ESPN3 will be a big upgrade over everything I watched today.  I couldn't watch the Mount game due to an overloaded server, the Linfield main camera went out leaving only a ground level end zone view, and the video quality of the st. Thomas feed is well below that of ESPN3.

K-Mack

Quote from: AO on December 01, 2012, 09:11:23 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on December 01, 2012, 08:52:12 PM

some local webcasts do a good job, but ESPN3 will be a big upgrade over everything I watched today.  I couldn't watch the Mount game due to an overloaded server, the Linfield main camera went out leaving only a ground level end zone view, and the video quality of the st. Thomas feed is well below that of ESPN3.

I had issues on mobile, but a lot of that is Flash/Apple/mobile compatibility. On my Mac laptop, I had no video quality problems.

When ESPN brings more cameras and better production value, it's a huge upgrade. When their announcers learn everything they know about #d3fb the day before they go on the air, even their even-handedness and polish is offset.

Last year they were trying to do the Chip Knapp heartfelt story from Wesley (son/team mgr. had serious medical condition, team really took it to heart) and they slow-panned to the wrong guy on the sideline. Knapp is the 20-year OC at Wesley, local broadcast would have no trouble finding him.

Not knocking it, just saying there's a tradeoff there.

As I said on Twitter, several years ago we'd be giddy for the ESPN attention and TV cameras. With the availability of video and broadcasts the past year or two, having them on board is not the upgrade and event it once was.

Still, it's not a bad thing. I might have had to order a new tier last year, but watching St. Thomas/UW-Whitewater on my HD TV was sweet.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

woosterbooster

It wasn't sweet being at the UMHB - Mount Union game.  The media timeouts were agonizing; it was like being at a pro game.  A great football game was really diminished for those in actual attendance.  There was no rhythm.  Lengthy stoppages, pretty much after all kicks, and many other times.  Even the actual timeouts called by the teams seemed to be extended.  Luckily the weather was mild and the product on the field was first rate, otherwise many, many fans would have departed very, very early.

frank uible

Difficult to make d3 football commercially feasible for TV.

Ron Boerger

But it wasn't ON TV, Frank, it was on ESPN3 webcast, and there were long periods of nothing on the webcast where there was just a background saying the game would resume shortly.  Why in the world the extra pauses?