FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quicksilver

Yes -- 1983 is about when Union departed the NESCAC (after its short and stormy stay) . .

gridiron

Union left the NESCAC earlier (in 1977--per Wikipedia).

NESCAC JACK

amh63

NEscac JACK....thanks for the old article!
Since the students are back and the new rosters will appear soon...thought I will bring up a topic that crosses all boards really .
Local paper had an article dealing with concussion.  Local high school started testing students playing sports ...obtaining "baseline" levels.
Question....has any conference schools started baseline testing on students and made any changes to equipment?  Done anything wrt the subject?

Knightstalker

Quote from: amh63 on August 29, 2013, 09:04:23 AM
NEscac JACK....thanks for the old article!
Since the students are back and the new rosters will appear soon...thought I will bring up a topic that crosses all boards really .
Local paper had an article dealing with concussion.  Local high school started testing students playing sports ...obtaining "baseline" levels.
Question....has any conference schools started baseline testing on students and made any changes to equipment?q.  Done anything wrt the subject?

According to this about 2/3 of the NCAA schools do a baseline test and congress is attempting to make it mandatory.
http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net/congress-attempts-to-legislate-ncaa-concussion-management/

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

madzillagd

I'm a bit skeptical of these baseline tests.  They used them at my nephew's school.  He was knocked out in basketball game on a Friday, passed the test by Tuesday even though he was not nearly ready to go he played 2 games that week.  Didn't admit until after his 2nd game that he was throwing up at halftime because his head was still messed up. 

nescac1

Amherst has its preliminary roster posted.  Only three surprises: Ryan Silva, the top returning RB, is not listed.  He did miss half of last year with injury and his replacements, all of whom are back, played well, so if he is not playing this fall it's not an enormous blow, although he is a talented player.  Last year's solid PK, Jake Schmidt, is also not listed.  If big-legged Nwosu returns to the team he should easily fill that void.  On the positive side for the Jeffs, star CB Landrus Lewis is back after securing a fifth year of eligibility. He and last year's top frosh, Jaymie Spears, will form a tremendous CB duo, likely the best in NESCAC. 

The biggest question for the Jeffs is clearly on the DL, which has been pretty dominant over the past four years.  None of the returning linemen accounted for more than six tackles last year, although I'm sure there is talent there as EJ Mills always restocks his front seven. 

The Jeffs have a TON of veteran QB's on the roster and since Lippe and Pieterse have that spot locked down for the next few years (and might even be the second and third most talented returning QB's in NESCAC), I imagine that some of those guys will switch to other positions.  Monroe, in particular, could be an asset as a skill player.     

https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/fall/football/roster

frank uible

The two kids who transferred from Wesleyan would have had more fun playing, and a better education, at Wesleyan than they will have or get at UCLA or Miami (FL). Someone blew smoke up their sphincters - too bad for the kids.

nescac1

Better education, I'm with you Frank (although both Miami and UCLA are solid academic institutions).  If you want to play a meaningful role on the field, again, I'm with you.  But "fun" -- even just being on the roster of a high profile, big time D-1 program (even if you are little more than a glorified tackling dummy and, if you're lucky, MIGHT see the field on a few special teams plays as a senior) is, I'm sure, pretty darn fun.  Playing on national TV, in front of 80,000 fans, traveling in style, being a (very) minor celebrity among students and alumni, being able to say, for the rest of your life, that you played for UCLA or Miami ... that opportunity is pretty hard to pass up, if leveraging your athletic talent for educational purposes is not your top priority.  OF course, this is all contingent on making the final roster, which I'm sure is not guaranteed. 

frank uible

Nothing beats playing on Saturday, the more the better - all the rest is fluff at best but sometimes a pain. Every major program has several seniors, juniors and sometimes sophomores who haven't played in games, who have virtually no prospects of playing and who have come to desire to quit but for the loss of their grant-in-aid, which would be caused by their quitting.

gridiron

Re the two who transferred from Wesleyan, according to some former teammates at least one had an "aversion" to attending any classes, which contributed to his decision to move on.  Things aren't always as they might first appear to be.

Panthernation

Quote from: nescac1 on August 29, 2013, 03:23:15 PM
Amherst has its preliminary roster posted.  Only three surprises: Ryan Silva, the top returning RB, is not listed.  He did miss half of last year with injury and his replacements, all of whom are back, played well, so if he is not playing this fall it's not an enormous blow, although he is a talented player. 

When we talked to Coach Mills two weeks ago, he said Silva was the frontrunner to be the lead back this year, so this is a new development. But Jacobs, Adinkra, Jellison, and Wilson have all been effective in their limited opportunities, so it should not set the team back too much.

nescac1

I read the preview, Panthernation (don't want to repeat too much from it here since it is a pay-for-access feature).  Didn't realize you had written that.  Very nice / comprehensive job.  I'm sure that even at this late juncture there will be a few changes, between guys deciding at the last minute not to play, serious pre-season injuries, or guys developing unexpectedly into major contributors via hard offseason work, not to mention, impact frosh who NESCAC coaches are prohibited (I believe, or maybe it's just custom) from mentioning by name.   

Interesting (and I hadn't noticed before reading your preview, but he is also listed on the roster) that Amherst has a DL transfer from Arizona State, who apparently did not play last year due to injury.  That continues the recent Lord Jeff tradition of bringing in big-time transfers on defense (Jeff Katz, Matt Pieterse).  I was encouraged to hear that Williams expects some frosh to contribute right away; Williams could use an infusion of young talent at a few spots, especially on the defensive front seven, and of course replacing Hartwell's explosive play-making ability won't be easy on offense. 

Panthernation

Quote from: nescac1 on August 30, 2013, 10:43:44 AM
I read the preview, Panthernation (don't want to repeat too much from it here since it is a pay-for-access feature).  Didn't realize you had written that.  Very nice / comprehensive job.  I'm sure that even at this late juncture there will be a few changes, between guys deciding at the last minute not to play, serious pre-season injuries, or guys developing unexpectedly into major contributors via hard offseason work, not to mention, impact frosh who NESCAC coaches are prohibited (I believe, or maybe it's just custom) from mentioning by name.   

Interesting (and I hadn't noticed before reading your preview, but he is also listed on the roster) that Amherst has a DL transfer from Arizona State, who apparently did not play last year due to injury.  That continues the recent Lord Jeff tradition of bringing in big-time transfers on defense (Jeff Katz, Matt Pieterse).  I was encouraged to hear that Williams expects some frosh to contribute right away; Williams could use an infusion of young talent at a few spots, especially on the defensive front seven, and of course replacing Hartwell's explosive play-making ability won't be easy on offense.

Thanks, and agreed. Both Amherst and Williams do such a nice job of bringing in talent that it is never smart to count them out. Both programs can afford to lose a lot of good players without falling out of the top tier.

frank uible

This guy is so old that he remembers Frank Leahy and his "our opponents are loaded, and we graduated everyone" forecasts.