MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunder38

Can't say enough about the effort by Wheaton tonight. Their defensive and rebounding effort really carried them tonight. By all accounts they should've trailed at halftime after Aston nearly went 0-the half in from deep, Luke Peters and Anajuwon Spencer missed substantial minutes with foul trouble, and Wheaton missed a ton of lay-ups. But Aston made a three in the last minute and they blocked a shot on the last possession to really give them the momentum into halftime and they never lost control of the game in the second half.

Spencer Peterson had some really impressive passes in the first half finding Francis on backdoor cuts. While Francis didn't have his shot tonight, he did a great job continuing to move away from the ball, using the backcuts to get lay-ups early when his jumper wasn't going. He's really come into his own as a player this season.

Luke Anthony once again came off the bench with some instant offense and a calming influence. Last night his three seemed to settle the nerves and get Aston going. Tonight, he stopped a mini-momentum surge by Wooster with a three-point play almost immediately after he checked in. Anthony has been a massive addition since January and looks to be the alpha replacement to Francis next year.

This team is playing with a ton of confidence right now and I can't wait to see Wheaton-Augie Round 3. Familiarity is the best defense for Aston Francis and he has not shot the ball well in two trips to Rock Island this year. Interesting that Wheaton's last two Sweet 16 trips have both come to CCIW gyms after their trip to Bloomington in 2013.

Congrats again to Coach Schauer and the Thunder.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 02, 2019, 11:28:02 PM
Loras doesn't have a backcourt pair; the Duhawks have a three-guard lineup in Ryan DiCanio, Josh Ruggles, and Demond George. That makes it hard to compare the Duhawks to Augustana, which has a traditional two-guard lineup. In terms of comparable teams, I wouldn't take them over Wheaton's backcourt trio of Francis, Adom, and Peters, but there aren't many other backcourt trios in D3 that I've seen that can match that Loras triumvirate.

Worth noting that all three of the Duhawk guards are seniors.  Talent is talent, and these three are very good.  I'm a big believer that having a senior-ladened team can make a significant difference this time of year, and we saw some of that tonight in the Hangar as the Duhawks dictated the pace and flow for most of the game.

iwu70

Congrats to the CCIW teams on 5-1 this weekend.  Sorry NCC didn't make the Sweet Sixteen too.  Great season NCC.  Now round three, Augie vs. Francis and WC.

'70

UWPSUPERFAN77

Great wins for both Augustana and Wheaton! .  Francis goes 13 for 33 and the Thunder win. Auggie behind at Halftime and win! Tickets will be hard to get for Auggie and Wheaton! good luck to both teams! you both deserve to win a championbship! how about Loras. Not only beat NC but earlier beat Nebraska Wesylian! they are the Giant killers of this year! NC fans how did you lose? Great season!

Titan Q

Watched a lot of all games...

Wheaton
I thought Wheaton was tremendous -- just really impressed with how the Thunder played last night. 

Wheaton plays best when Luke Anthony is not afraid to take some big shots - Francis can't do it all.  Anthony is really key for the Thunder.

Francis was ridiculous as usual.

Wheaton's defense was stellar and rebounding may have been the difference in the game.  For the smaller Thunder to out-rebound Wooster 43-32 is impressive.

Mike Schauer did an amazing job last night - he won the Xs and Os battle vs one of the best coaches in Division III.

Even though one player scored an overwhelming % of Wheaton's points, the Thunder had such a balanced effort overall last night when you consider all phases of the game.

North Central
Coming in I felt like Loras was the better team by just a tiny, tiny bit.  I have been on the Loras train all season long - in December I said on Hoopsville the Duhawks would make the Elite 8 this year.  They are really good.

Great game and really impressive showing on the road by Loras.  The Dukawks are one of the teams left that have no holes/weaknesses.  They are a complete team.

Augustana
The Vikings did their usual thing -- grinded out a W.  When they were down 8 or whatever it was in the 2nd half it didn't feel to me they were in any trouble.

I thought Chrishawn Orange was great in leading Augie back.

I continue to think the Vikings will win the national championship.  They are the most talented and complete team in the field.

thunder38

No surprises. Augustana has been officially announced as the host site.

thunder38

Quote from: thunder38 on March 03, 2019, 11:34:52 AM
No surprises. Augustana has been officially announced as the host site.

Marietta vs. Oswego State - 5:30 PM
Wheaton vs. Augustana - 7:30 PM

Saturday - 7 PM

voxelmhurst

It would have been remarkable to have 3 CCIW teams in the last 16. It's also great to see HC Chris Martin and the Loras' team advance. Not bad for a young coach in just the 3rd year of his head coaching career!

Gregory Sager

That's true. There are two CCIW teams in the Sweet Sixteen -- and two head coaches who are CCIW alumni whose teams are in the Sweet Sixteen.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

UWPSUPERFAN77

Too bad Auggie and Wheaton could not be on the other side of the brackets! Both,based on past seasons, deserve to win a championship!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We are down to 32. A great weekend of basketball has cut the NCAA tournament teams in half. There were some surprises, surprising outcomes, and fun environments around DIII. Even the end of the title defense of Nebraska Wesleyan.

On Sunday's Hoopsville, we try and recap it all while also hearing from several of the coaches who found themselves in the thick of it.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. Sunday's show hits the air at 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch it in the video player above. If you miss any of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen the audio-only podcast to the right (available shortly after the show goes off air).

If you have questions about Division III basketball, feel free to send them and we will answer them on a the show. Email them to dave.mchugh@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options to the right.

Guests Schedule (order subject to change):
- Mike Schauer, Wheaton (Ill.) men's coach
- Tom Palombo, Guilford men's coach
- Randi Henderson, No. 22 WashU women's coach
- Fred Richter, No. 15 DeSales women's coach
- Bill Broderick, Christopher Newport women's coach
- Dave Hixon, No. 7 Amherst men's coach

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

UWPSUPERFAN77

Correction: Auggie and Wheaton,one on the other side of Bracket!

GoPerry

Quote from: UWPSUPERFAN77 on March 03, 2019, 04:04:42 PM
Too bad Auggie and Wheaton could not be on the other side of the brackets! Both,based on past seasons, deserve to win a championship!

Yes - a little unfortunate that only one CCIW team can advance past Friday.  But Thunder fans were grateful to be in the bracket at all and are excited to have advanced no matter who's next.  I guess it'd be nice to play a team we hadn't played twice already.  But Wheaton certainly didn't merit any special consideration and I doubt the committee really thought about it much.  Definitely better than heading back to Baldwin Wallace or Marietta Ohio.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2019, 12:29:03 PM

Yes - a little unfortunate that only one CCIW team can advance past Friday.  But Thunder fans were grateful to be in the bracket at all and are excited to have advanced no matter who's next.  I guess it'd be nice to play a team we hadn't played twice already.  But Wheaton certainly didn't merit any special consideration and I doubt the committee really thought about it much.  Definitely better than heading back to Baldwin Wallace or Marietta Ohio.

Why is that?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

GoPerry

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 04, 2019, 03:38:28 PM
Quote from: GoPerry on March 04, 2019, 12:29:03 PM

Why is that?

Sorry - shorter distance to Rock Island.