Financial aid specifically 15.4.8

Started by B2Loud, February 19, 2020, 06:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B2Loud

I do not understand the language.  Can a prospects parent get a job at a university that offers 100% tuition for dependents day 1 as the child is enrolling to play D3 sports?  I initially think so, but then read section 15.4.8 in the div iii manual.  Does anyone know what this section is referring to?
Thanks for your help.

B2Loud

2/17/20 118
15.4.8 Faculty/Staff Benefits. Tuition remission, assistance or similar remuneration granted as a benefit of employment to
a faculty or staff member shall not be included as institutional financial aid in the case of that faculty or staff member's
dependent. Tuition waivers that are granted for reasons other than a benefit of employment to the dependent of a faculty or staff
member shall be included as financial aid. (Revised: 4/30/09)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: B2Loud on February 19, 2020, 06:16:23 AM
I do not understand the language.  Can a prospects parent get a job at a university that offers 100% tuition for dependents day 1 as the child is enrolling to play D3 sports?  I initially think so, but then read section 15.4.8 in the div iii manual.  Does anyone know what this section is referring to?
Thanks for your help.

How many schools offer this benefit from Day 1?  I can't imagine it's super common to begin with.  Also, any school that can afford this probably has pretty generous aid to begin with.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

B2Loud

I do not know how many, I just know 1 imparticular.  I just need to know it is within the rules.  I do not want the kid to be part of a rule violation. 

If it is within the rules then there is not an issue.  I just do not understand the language of the rules. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: B2Loud on February 19, 2020, 08:33:32 AM
I do not know how many, I just know 1 imparticular.  I just need to know it is within the rules.  I do not want the kid to be part of a rule violation. 

If it is within the rules then there is not an issue.  I just do not understand the language of the rules.

That rule is just talking about how they figure financial aid.  Every D3 program has to show that financial aid for athletes does not differ from aid given to the general student population.  There's a pretty strict percentage of discrepancy (I think it's less than 3%).  All this is saying is that if you've got a faculty kid on reduced tuition playing sports, that aid does not have to get figured in to the equation (where it would be likely to skew results).

I'd imagine, so long as the job wasn't promised as part of athletic recruitment, it would be fine.  Of course, every athletic department has a compliance officer who could more thoroughly answer this question.

B2Loud

Thank you.

As long as it is part of the rules.  I am going to assume it was not part of the recruiting process.  I think a D1 prospect attending a D3 school and the parent obtaining an entry level job therefore no tuition will receive scrutiny.  I will assume the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: B2Loud on February 19, 2020, 09:02:08 AM
Thank you.

As long as it is part of the rules.  I am going to assume it was not part of the recruiting process.  I think a D1 prospect attending a D3 school and the parent obtaining an entry level job therefore no tuition will receive scrutiny.  I will assume the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

It'll only receive scrutiny if someone notifies the NCAA.  They're not out looking for things like that.

Ron Boerger

Some quick google results - it seems to be offered fairly frequently:

Hope offers it, but for children it's 10% per year of employee service:  https://hope.edu/offices/human-resources/employee/benefits/resources/Tuition%20Waiver%20Policy.pdf
Hamline, flat 90% after employee has worked 18 straight months:
https://www.hamline.edu/uploadedFiles/Hamline_WWW/Offices_-_Admin/HR/Page_Content/Tuition%20Waiver%20Guide%20for%20Internal%20and%20External%20Programs%20REV%2009152017.docx.pdf
Kenyon:  Waivers (apparently 100%) for dependents of "benefit-eligible" employees:  https://www.kenyon.edu/directories/offices-services/human-resources/employee-handbooks/faculty-handbook/514-tuition-benefits/
John Carroll:  Waivers (apparently 100%) for dependents the first full semester after hire:  http://webmedia.jcu.edu/hr/files/2017/08/I-3.6-Tuition-Waiver-Tuition-Exchange-Benefit-Programs_8_23_2017.pdf

VT-Alum-NOVA

also common for D1 universities to provide tuition reimbursement (percentage) depending on length of service

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Tuition discounts are definitely a common benefit at most colleges and universities, but there is a broad spectrum of how those are implemented.  I just know few schools offer them immediately upon hire to discourage people from taking jobs just to save on their kids' college.

Bishopleftiesdad

My son had a player on his roster when he matriculated, Whos Father was a professor at another school in the conference. He received a discount because there was an agreement between the two schools. I believe several schools in this conference so the same. However I do not think it was tied to the confernece but some other academic affiliation.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Bishopleftiesdad on February 19, 2020, 03:32:58 PM
My son had a player on his roster when he matriculated, Whos Father was a professor at another school in the conference. He received a discount because there was an agreement between the two schools. I believe several schools in this conference so the same. However I do not think it was tied to the confernece but some other academic affiliation.

There are agreements well outside of conferences. There is a large consortium, per se, where any employ of a college or university in it has discounts of varying levels (there are tiers if memory serves) at other schools in that group.

As I remember it when I looked at it one time (while a finalist for a job at a university many moons ago), there were hundreds of not over a thousand in that group.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.