FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craft_Beermeister

Quote from: MUC57 on February 08, 2019, 12:12:15 PM
Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on February 08, 2019, 11:47:49 AM
Quote from: skunks_sidekick on February 08, 2019, 09:36:41 AM
Here's great thoughts (and prayers if you are inclined) to a certain QB who went under the knife to repair his "sprained ankle".  Let's get a full recovery and full speed ahead.

https://twitter.com/d12angelo/status/1093902164882345984?s=21

Thanks you guys for the update. I had no idea he had surgery. Wish him a speedy recovery and the very best in Florida next month! Go Raiders!  ;D

From what I heard when Fulford hurt his ankle in Marietta game it wasn't a partial tear, but a complete tear. The diagnosis was that after the swelling went down if he could play with pain the thought was he couldn't do additional damage to it. For obvious reasons his condition Fulford's medical condition was kept confidential.  Even during the time folks were slamming UMU for not share much information and restricting players from talking to media. D'Angelo sucked  it up and played with pain. With his condition his straight ahead speed wasn't impacted as much as his ability to cut.

formerd3db

Quote from: Craft_Beermeister on February 09, 2019, 07:46:59 PM
Here's great thoughts (and prayers if you are inclined) to a certain QB who went under the knife to repair his "sprained ankle".  Let's get a full recovery and full speed ahead.

Thanks you guys for the update. I had no idea he had surgery. Wish him a speedy recovery and the very best in Florida next month! Go Raiders!  ;D

From what I heard when Fulford hurt his ankle in Marietta game it wasn't a partial tear, but a complete tear. The diagnosis was that after the swelling went down if he could play with pain the thought was he couldn't do additional damage to it. For obvious reasons his condition Fulford's medical condition was kept confidential.  Even during the time folks were slamming UMU for not share much information and restricting players from talking to media. D'Angelo sucked  it up and played with pain. With his condition his straight ahead speed wasn't impacted as much as his ability to cut.

Craft_Brew:

Indeed, for obvious reasons, as you and most of us know, keeping medical information confidential is appropriate and in essence the law (HIPPA rules), unless the person (in this case the player) gives permission to make that public information.  That said, to provide some additional insight in these type of situations, one can usually return in the time frame you mention if the ankle sprain is not a higher grade one, although that time frame for RTP (Return to Play) depends on that person's own progress, which, although can be given a "general" time frame as you noted in this particular situation for him, it is, in reality, impossible to predict for any one person and varies among individuals.  However, the type of sprain he apparently had was obviously much more extensive and, in most situations as that, by allowing and the player choosing to return, they take the chance of having it go on to an unstable status and more chance of having to have surgery as apparently was the scenario in his situation.  More extensive sprains simply take longer to heal (heck, even minor sprains do also at times) and, for the most part, that essentially entails the entire season.  Certainly, as I alluded to before, if the injury involves the syndesmosis, there is more of a chance of having problems with it in the longer term and often surgery is needed, but again, that just depends on the exact pattern of injury.

The bottom line is that each player, the trainers, team physician (and coaches) all have to be aware of the risks and expectations of any injury and, unless it is one that absolutely precludes a player from returning during the season, that player takes their own chances in making an informed decision as to the RTP, again, depending on how they progress in recovery.  I am not insinuating any blame here on anyone, rather simply providing information as to how this is, in a generic/general sense approached.   
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

gizzmo13

what all this means is that it is super important to have a really good back up qb this year .

Dr. Acula

Not football related, but hopefully someone can enlighten me on this.  I saw on the OAC website that it said BW won its fourth straight wrestling title.  I knew that Mount beat them pretty badly in their dual match so I checked and sure enough BW was 5-1 in OAC dual matches and Mount was 6-0.  So how do they determine who wins the conference if not based on wrestling each other head-to-head?

purple

Count Dracula....I saw that too.  The BW announcement says Mount was not eligible to win the title this year and no points would be attributed to UMU to the All-Sports trophy.
  Sounds like some sort of penalty. I'll call LK Monday and see what I can find out.

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: purple on February 10, 2019, 12:32:43 PM
  Count Dracula....I saw that too.  The BW announcement says Mount was not eligible to win the title this year and no points would be attributed to UMU to the All-Sports trophy.
  Sounds like some sort of penalty. I'll call LK Monday and see what I can find out.

Uh-oh, what did you guys do??? What kind of program are you guys running down there in Alliance?? ;) Breaking the rules is a DI thing, I expect better from you!!
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

MUC57

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on February 11, 2019, 01:12:46 PM

Uh-oh, what did you guys do??? What kind of program are you guys running down there in Alliance?? ;) Breaking the rules is a DI thing, I expect better from you!!

Streaks

At least we have a marching band!  ;D  :o
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Oline89

Quote from: formerd3db on February 09, 2019, 08:33:30 PM
Quote from: Craft_Beermeister on February 09, 2019, 07:46:59 PM

Craft_Brew:

Indeed, for obvious reasons, as you and most of us know, keeping medical information confidential is appropriate and in essence the law (HIPPA rules), unless the person (in this case the player) gives permission to make that public information.  That said, to provide some additional insight in these type of situations, one can usually return in the time frame you mention if the ankle sprain is not a higher grade one, although that time frame for RTP (Return to Play) depends on that person's own progress, which, although can be given a "general" time frame as you noted in this particular situation for him, it is, in reality, impossible to predict for any one person and varies among individuals.  However, the type of sprain he apparently had was obviously much more extensive and, in most situations as that, by allowing and the player choosing to return, they take the chance of having it go on to an unstable status and more chance of having to have surgery as apparently was the scenario in his situation.  More extensive sprains simply take longer to heal (heck, even minor sprains do also at times) and, for the most part, that essentially entails the entire season.  Certainly, as I alluded to before, if the injury involves the syndesmosis, there is more of a chance of having problems with it in the longer term and often surgery is needed, but again, that just depends on the exact pattern of injury.

The bottom line is that each player, the trainers, team physician (and coaches) all have to be aware of the risks and expectations of any injury and, unless it is one that absolutely precludes a player from returning during the season, that player takes their own chances in making an informed decision as to the RTP, again, depending on how they progress in recovery.  I am not insinuating any blame here on anyone, rather simply providing information as to how this is, in a generic/general sense approached.

Formerd3db, great review of ankle injuries/recovery.  The only thing i would add, is that an acute "high ankle sprain" with instability is almost always treated surgically.  Even the worst "low" sprains (grade 3) are usually treated conservatively (taping, bracing, PT). Given the story of needing surgery when the season was over, most likely scenario is a chronic "normal" sprain that failed the conservative approach and caused mechanical instability.

hsbsballcoach7

Quit worrying about what's going on in Alliance!! Just keep relishing in those super bowl wins....😁
But seriously, what happened that excludes Mounts wrestling team from the OAC championship? They also have a shot to place well at nationals.

Bishopleftiesdad

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on February 11, 2019, 02:25:18 PM

Quit worrying about what's going on in Alliance!! Just keep relishing in those super bowl wins....😁
But seriously, what happened that excludes Mounts wrestling team from the OAC championship? They also have a shot to place well at nationals.
That is what I would like to know. Was it a conference or NCAA violation? Or a NWCA violation?

skunks_sidekick

Having spoken to the "ankle's mouth" (and no that doesn't mean purple ;D), all that he said was that it wasn't a sprain but a ligament tear that would not be able to be healed with non-surgical treatment.  The young man gutted it out, and put it all on the field.

As for next month, all that was said was that it sucks it takes this long to prove you are innocent.  Take it for what you will.

Snow, polar vortex, -28 wind chill, 60 degrees, 22 degrees, snow, rain, 49 degrees.  It's wonder ANYONE is sane in this state.

Mr. "I hate winter in Ohio" signing off!   8-)

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: MUC57 on February 11, 2019, 02:12:02 PM

Streaks

At least we have a marching band!  ;D  :o

Well there's no coming back from that! I can't win this argument! ;) lol
AMDG

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: hsbsballcoach7 on February 11, 2019, 02:25:18 PM

Well I have to relish on what our boys are doing in the NFL since we have yet to get over the hump in the DIII world!

But seriously, I am also interested to hear what happened. I can only imagine that we all will be rolling our eyes because I imagine that the "crime" will not have met "the penalty".
AMDG

formerd3db

Oline89:

Thank you and agree with you on all aspects you mention!
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

purple

Count Dracula...I asked about the wrestling situation. Mount Union was penalized for some sort of NCAA violation. The coach was suspended for a month. It had to do with social media. Mount is still participating in the National Championship competition unencumbered. I did not yet talk to Lk.  My source was a UMU employee.
  It is truly vomit inspiring BW gets the paper title.