New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Matson

Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

nescac1

Confirmed about Heo not being at Amherst this fall:
https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/fall/soccer-m/jae_heo_blog

Tough blow for the Jeffs, with him, along with graduated Lynch and Duker leaving, that is the bulk of their offensive production gone.  Plus they lost two top notch defenders -- you'd have to think they slip back to the pack a little.  Of course, they will get Heo back in two years and you figure he will have a huge edge as a 24 year old playing against teenagers.  I would think Amherst has got to have some impact frosh coming in, given the ridiculous haul the new coach brought in last year. 

As for Williams, they actually haven't brought any high profile internationals in for many years; that basically was a short term experiment for the classes of 01-04 that led to a ton of individual accolades without concomitant team success.  Hopefully they do have a few badly-needed impact frosh ... Williams seems to have a very deep team of lots of solid players, but a shortage of any true superstars (especially star goal scorers) since the class of 07 graduated (not a total shock, as that is around the same time as Williams recruiting practices really changed, with the biggest impact on men's soccer and basketball).  I am guessing Coach Russo is nearing retirement, perhaps he is hoping for one more big run in the tourney before he bows out, as he has now coached for over 30 (!) years. 

Giggs

I hear that Midd got a local All-American.

Rick Vaughn

You are correct Giggs...Rob Cole from South Burlington, VT is his name.  Very solid player.  Google him for more info.

nescac1

Williams likewise has a local kid coming in, Than Finan, goalie on the state champion Mt. Greylock squad. 

owl

Williams will have an experienced senior goalie this year.  What they really need is a true scoring threat.  They only scored 31 goals last year and the two leading scorers, Empson and Gordon, both graduated.

truenorth

I did learn in watching NESCAC soccer for the first time last year that most freshmen, no matter how talented, usually require some seasoning to make their full impact on the game--even in D3.  Quality recruits will help any and all of these programs, but are not the complete answer.

owl

Most of the NESCAC teams find 0ne or two freshman break into a starting role after four or five games.  Their overall impact will be determined by the team around them.  A leading scorer last year for Amherst (Heo) and Middlebury (Macnee) were freshman and the teams were very successful.  Not necessarily because of the freshman but they certainly augmented an already strong team.  While very successful, Jones from Bowdoin couldn't carry Bowdoin alone.   

DIIIdad

While Heo was technically a freshman, wasn't he 21 or 22 years old?  That's significantly different than bringing in an 18 year old freshman in my opinion.

ECSUalum

NCAA D-III National Champions
Year   Champion   Record
1974 Brockport St. (12-2-2)
1975 Babson (17-0-1)
1976 Brandeis (15-2)
1977 Lock Haven (14-4)
1978 Lock Haven (18-2)
1979 Babson (13-2-4)
1980 Babson (16-3-1)
1981 Rowan (19-1-2)
1982 UNC Greensboro (19-3)
1983 UNC Greensboro (23-1-1)
1984 Wheaton (Ill.) (21-1-2)
1985 UNC Greensboro (20-5)
1986 UNC Greensboro (18-5)
1987 UNC Greensboro (17-7-1)
1988 UC San Diego (23-0-2)
1989 Elizabethtown (23-2)
1990 Rowan (20-3-2)
1991 UC San Diego (18-4-1)
1992 Kean (18-6-1)
1993 UC San Diego (20-2-2)
1994 Bethany (W.V.) (15-5-4)
1995 Williams (17-0-2)
1996 TCNJ (17-5-1)
1997 Wheaton (Ill.) (24-0-1)
1998 Ohio Wesleyan (18-6)
1999 St. Lawrence (22)
2000 Messiah (22-2-1)
2001 Richard Stockton (25-1-1)
2002 Messiah (23-2-1)
2003 Trinity (Tex.) (24-0-0)
2004 Messiah (23-2)
2005 Messiah (24-0)
2006 Messiah (21-1-2)
2007 Middlebury (18-2-2)
2008 Messiah (21-2-3)

One of the NESCAC teams need to knock Messiah out in 2009!!!!!!

Unbelievable record, re Messiah, so got to give them a LOT of credit!!!!!!!!!

owl

Messiah will have a new coach this year so let's see if they will skip a beat or continue to roll.

truenorth

I've heard it said that Messiah is somewhat of a mecca (no pun intended) for student athletes from Catholic backgrounds, some of who are D1 caliber.  I would imagine they're deep and talented year after year.  But that makes it a fun challenge for NESCAC type programs to compete with that kind of depth.

Jim Matson

Actually, the backgrounds would be more like evangelical protestant versus Catholic, but yes, their players are quite often strong candidates for small/mid-level D1 programs.  With Brandt moving on to Navy, 2009 will be a good test these guys under a new leader.

It was few years back that Williams gave Messiah the best match they had ever seen in the quarter-finals.  Williams could very well have been the champ that season.
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

speedy

Don't think you's find a lot of Catholics at a college founded by the Mennonites and now affiliated with some other Protestant religion that looks to be evangelical in nature . . .

ECSUalum

Correct re Messiah being evangelical Protestant, however whatever the religious connection, its an institution that produces wonderful D-III programs in both men and womens sports.

A lot of National Championships in thier pocket!!!