The Big Dance

Started by Falconer, November 05, 2018, 03:06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: blooter442 on November 28, 2018, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: oldonionbag on November 28, 2018, 04:14:33 PM
I was under the impression it was just for homecoming? I do like these, though! Much better than blue and brown hoops  ;)

If so, that's a lot of money for one game (or so I'd imagine)!

It could also be that the boys bought the shirts as a team to wear at the Homecoming game and then keep.  One of my sons' team did that one year.

Ejay

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on November 28, 2018, 04:46:13 PM
Quote from: blooter442 on November 28, 2018, 04:27:19 PM
Quote from: oldonionbag on November 28, 2018, 04:14:33 PM
I was under the impression it was just for homecoming? I do like these, though! Much better than blue and brown hoops  ;)

If so, that's a lot of money for one game (or so I'd imagine)!

It could also be that the boys bought the shirts as a team to wear at the Homecoming game and then keep.  One of my sons' team did that one year.

Have they been seen before? My team pulled a kit out of the athletic archives because we thought it was sweet, plus our kit that year was horrendous. Coach/AD allowed us to wear it for one game.

blooter442

Apparently they are a kit; Tufts wore them for one other game this year. As for other schools using "older" uniforms, Brandeis definitely did that last year in the NCAA matches, bringing out its old away blues in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 and the home whites in the 2nd Round, using them instead of the newer uniforms which have been around since 2015 or so.

Mr.Right

Most teams have a Men's Soccer budget that can swell throughout the year primarily from Alum support. One of the first things Tufts did after 2014 that I noticed(it might have been done earlier) was to put a link to donate to Men's Soccer the minute you went on their homepage. I would imagine that Tufts Men's Soccer giving has expanded by leaps and bounds since Shapiro's arrival and especially since the 2 NCAA Titles. Because of the close knit family atmosphere on every Tufts team the past 5-6 years especially and in the future Tufts should have a pretty solid Men's Soccer budget. Most teams will hit up alums every three years before they take their pre-season trips to Europe or wherever to help pay for expenses and also help out some of the guys that just cannot afford to throw down an extra $2000 or more depending on the itinerary on top of tuition and everything else. In the off years that budget will be used for everything imaginable to new uniforms, new balls, new training equipment, adding extra money on top of the little meal money these kids get when they go on the road, etc etc etc. Uniforms are the biggest one and some schools will change it up every year. Williams for example used to change its kit almost every year with the Seniors an especially Captains picking what they wanted. I am sure someone could youtube 2011 because Williams Captains chose an All Gold with Purple trim Home kit which might have been the most hideous uniform I have seen but in 20 years it might look sweet to someone else's eyes. Anyway, most teams have 2 kits(Home and Away) but there are some teams in D3 with a 3rd Kit for different occasions. While some might say who cares about uniforms BUT players have pride in that jersey they put on every game and most players love to choose what they put on. Quite frankly, Tufts kind of has an ugly scheme of colors so it can be more challenging I would imagine for them to get something that everyone can agree on but players enjoy the process.

Mr.Right

It is really hard to predict these 2 Final 4 games for me because I have only seen Calvin once and Chicago twice this season. Obviously, I have seen Tufts play all year but only really seen UR 3 times this season. I am not even going to get my feet stuck in mud with Chicago and Calvin but will predict that while most people see that game having the best chance for some goals I really think BOTH Semi's will be very tight low scoring matches. 1-0 or 0-0 would not surprise me for either game. The weather for Greensboro, NC looks interesting with a decent 55 degrees and 60% chance of rain. More importantly they are predicting 15mph winds which while not extreme it is enough to definitely effect the match. Winning the toss will be important because you always take the win at your back 1st Half as obviously the wind could die down or not be a factor 2nd Half. Interestingly, some teams play better going into the wind because it makes them focus more with the idea being they have to work harder going into the wind and are focusing more because they are aware the other team has an advantage. On the flip some teams take for granted the wind at their backs and do not work "as hard" because they figure the other team is at a disadvantage. This is all relative ofcourse because it is possible the wind will have no factor at all and this being a NCAA Final 4 game BOTH teams will be 100% focused and busting their butts.

Please any UR fan correct me with anything I have wrong but let me take a stab at this. What I remember about Rochester when I have seen them this year was they are in a 4-2-3-1 and attack with 4 but give that 5th player(the other midfielder) the freedom to move box to box and get in attack especially on the counter. They interchange nicely in attack and will transition very fast from defene to attack and vice versa. Like Tufts they hunt the ball immediately after a give away with instant pressure to get the ball back. Their #4 Bryce Ikeda has to be their best and most complete player. He is a stud with few weaknesses that I can see. He uses both feet, technical, gives great service, has a long throw and is a gamer. He is a total competitor and his teammates follow his lead. A perfect Captain he also looks to be the type of gamer that will find a goal for his team when they desperately need one. #14 Josh Cooley has 6 Goals and is a skilled player with a nice left foot.#10 Patrick Douge is a nice left footed player off the bench for them. I remember the striker Aidan Miller who is extremely dangerous and should cause Tufts CB's some problems. I would expect Tufts CB Paoletta to be watching him closely. Miller has 5 Goals on the season but a quick glance at the stats and all 5 were against UAA competition to lead his team in league goals. To me that is most important showing you can score against the best defenses in D3. #6 Ulrik Koren's Goal off beautiful service from Douge on the flank was a masterpiece volley. #11 Nik Angval I really enjoy watch play. He is a gritty kid and IIRC is their holder. He gets stuck in but also can thread the needle.  I would imagine if you were to watch a UR practice you would see them working a ton on box play both in attack and on defense. They are VERY dangerous in the box in attack especially on set pieces but also from the flanks as against Brandeis this year when they won the ball back they would play a quick pass or two and find their flank players who were whipping balls into the box with numbers getting there. On a counter that will be dangerous for Tufts to defend as UR looks really well schooled on positioning in the box on attack and where the service is going to end up. The one position that makes me nervy for UR is in net. GK Patrick Conway seems like a great kid and is a solid GK but not a superior GK. He is listed at 5'9 but I would guess that might be an inch generous and I just do not like small GK'ers especially against a team like Tufts. That is just me and everyone is different but for some reason my eyes on the stream see a mouse in a giant net and I do not like the look. I will say he is very quick and I would be willing to guess he is one of the faster players on the UR roster. He is a natural shot stopper with good reflexes. Against Brockport in the NCAA 2nd Round he made a couple real nice saves but he also looked very questionable on crosses and actually bobbled a dangerous one that Brockport almost finished. I see saves from the kid but I also see juicy rebounds where there should not be. I just do not feel comfortable with him on long balls being pumped into his box. His defenders MUST protect him in their box for them to advance against Tufts IMO. Also, he has to try to limit the rebounds and second chances Tufts will get because they will crash that net and they have been scoring some scrappy goals as of late. In recap, as long as Conway can stay mistake free I give UR a real solid chance to advance because they can match Tufts physicality and mental toughness. This scrappy UR team does not look like a team to me that is just happy to be here as they have a look like they want to get this done and go home with the trophy. Sometimes teams that get to their first Final 4 have a look of satisfaction and nervousness in their first Final 4 BUT this UR team has a different look to me and have the confidence to get this done.

Shapiro has been changing and tinkering with Tufts lineup all year as he does a pretty good job of getting everyone there fair share of minutes and also giving young guys a solid run to get them prepared for future years. However, I do not expect any changes for this match unless there is an injury I do not know about. As long as Rojas and Van Brewer are starting in midfield than to me Tufts looks like they are in a 4-1-4-1. They have their only Frosh starter at LB but that doesn't mean you can go at him as along with CB Paoletta that side of the field is very solid. 2 excellent backs. RB Weatherbie is also pretty solid but under pressure he will give the ball away as he is not the most skilled player out there. CB Najjar worries me the most as he can look suspect back there on occasion especially 1v1 defending. Holding midfielder Aroh has done well I suppose but I am still not convinced and I think a player like UR Ikeda is the type of mobile player that can give Aroh and Najjar fits in this game. The rest of Tufts starters are very solid and dangerous players. Van Brewer and Rojas look to be playing some of their best futbol in a Tufts uniform and Tasker has been playing out of his mind this season. Lane out wide is also problematic for defense and UR wingbacks MUST be ready. Braun is Braun. This is where UR GK Conway makes me nervy. I can just picture for example from a quick counter that is played wide and a long serve from the flank by say Tasker into a charging Braun with a UR defender backpedaling and UR GK Conway coming off his line to get the ball. The 6'5 Braun will win that battle but does he finish? He has had problems finishing lately but has also surprised me with all the goals he has scored this year.

Anyhow it should be an excellent matchup and I am looking forward to both matches. Asked my boss to work from home tomorrow and for all that are still in school.....Work from home=doing laundry and watching the games with a couple emails to make myself look busy....

Ejay

Mr.Right

Quote from: EB2319 on November 29, 2018, 01:34:30 PM
The hideous kit I referenced was something very close to this... https://sidelineswap.com/gear/soccer/apparel/565534-umbro-diamond-pattern-44-xl-long-sleeve-soccer-dri-fit-shirt.

HAHA that was CLASSIC UMBRO 1990's style.....Umbro dominated for a while and then faded

Saint of Old

Final 4 Prediction.

I was flipping by some NBA Basketball commentary  a few months back and I heard Kenny "The Jet"Smith make an extremely astute observation.
This 2 time NBA Champion said:

Winning a National Championmship has nothing  vto do with the game played on the court (field)".

He is absolutely right, in my opinion.
The comradrie and special bonds, locker room hijinks, ribbing each other, crazy inside jokes, how guys got their nick names, and just general team spirit/vibe/love is what does it.

Once you go past a certain phase, every team remaining is stacked with talent and an unbelievable amount of will power.
The margin for error is soo very thin that it is these unmeasurable variables that do the trick.

Simply put... how much do these guys love each other and the program/coach they play for... Will they put forward that extra effort to help their teammate in trouble.
All of this is subconcious and develops overtime by osmosis.

The Hungriest team will always eat the food at the end of the day... more often than not it is the team with the most togetherness and brotherhood.

I know we are all ready to play!!!
We will have to settle for watching a great final four with all amazing teams... but like the Highlander... There Can be ONLY 1.

d3commenter

Tufts 2-0 Rochester
Chicago 2-1 Calvin

Chicago 2-1 Tufts

Mr.Right

Greensboro,NC weather looks nice today. A guess would say a comfortable soccer playing 55 degrees with no rain. Looking at the American flag high up above the scoreboard it looks to be somewhat windy but certainly not 15mph. Some gusts for sure...

I will go:

Calvin 1-0 Chicago
UR     1-1  Tufts    PK's coin flip....

blooter442

Chicago looks really good out of the gate...Calvin looking to counter. Seems the Maroons are winning the midfield battle.

Mr.Right

This is a real great start to this first game...Both teams fighting like mad and both teams NOT sitting in....There will definitely be some goals in this match....Enjoy this one because Game 2 will be the opposite...

blooter442

Big chance for Calvin right there...McCaw gets it right in front but puts it at Katsimpalis who did make a nice save...wow.

Mr.Right

2 HUGE chances for Calvin and absolutely STUFFED....This has been Calvin's problem in the Final 4...They MUST finish these early chances.

oldonionbag

WOW! Calvin coming out firing and totally dominating. Katsimpalis with two incredible saves - unbelievable. Should be 2-0 Calvin.