MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustAFan

Clark led Brandeis 38-36 at the half tonight but the Judges outscored Clark by 13 in the second half en route to a 82-71 win tonight in Worcester. Clark got a good effort from its big men, Pat Landers and Peter Normandin, but it needs to find some more consistent scoring and better shooting (7 for 27 from 3-land) from its backcourt. Terrell Hollins led a balanced Brandeis attack with 21 points on 10-13 shooting.

Across town WPI annililated host UMass-Boston 89-39 tonight, its second big win in a row after Sunday's surprisingly easy 105-67 win over a previously undefeated Fitchburg State team.  Of course, it helps when you shoot 75% from 3-land in the first half (9-12) and 69% overall in the first half (20-29) against Fitchburg.

clarkie

Though it wasn't a victory, I am happy to see Clark holding its own against such a highly regarded team. Hopefully Clark's young team can continue to push forward and win some big games down the stretch of the season.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hugenerd on December 04, 2007, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 03, 2007, 02:32:40 PM
Quote from: heythere on November 28, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
wpi was suppose to be a top 20 team.

... according to whom?

Must be the same people that voted Antoine Coleman an All-American!

(sorry Pat, I couldnt help myself)

Yeah, since it's entirely inaccurate. WPI was not in our preseason Top 25.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 05, 2007, 08:48:50 PM
Quote from: hugenerd on December 04, 2007, 12:04:37 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 03, 2007, 02:32:40 PM
Quote from: heythere on November 28, 2007, 11:07:33 PM
wpi was suppose to be a top 20 team.

... according to whom?

Must be the same people that voted Antoine Coleman an All-American!

(sorry Pat, I couldnt help myself)

Yeah, since it's entirely inaccurate. WPI was not in our preseason Top 25.

You are right, but they appear to have been a close #26 so I am sure at least a couple of voters had them around 20.

hugenerd

MIT lead Amherst 34-26 at the half at Amherst.  Jimmy Bartolotta has 16 points and 3 boards in the half.  Andrew Olsen, Amherst's All-American, has 2 assists and 5 turnovers (according to the radio broadcast).

hugenerd

MIT down 2 with 31 seconds to go.

I believe Jimmy B. has 27 points.

hugenerd

Bartolotta get injured with 15 seconds left, MIT still down 2.

hugenerd

Final Score: Amherst 66- MIT 60

Amherst hit 4 FTs in the last 15 seconds.

hugenerd

With regards to Jimmy B's injury, the announcers made it seem pretty bad.  Luckily for Jimmy and MIT, they only have one game between now and January 3.  So he will likely only miss one game (if it is a sprained ankle, as the announcers said it was).

MIT ended up shooting 34.5% from the field in the second half and just 23% from 3.  They just didnt make enough shots to win, but they definitely had the opportunity.  I hope this game gives Jimmy B. some of the exposure and credit he deserves.  (According to the announcers) he faced double and triple teams all of the second half and still put up 27 points, 6 rebounds and 5 assists.  He had a below average night from the 3 point line, especially in the second half, shooting just 2-8 overall.  The 3 he missed with 17 seconds left (right before he got hurt) could have given MIT the lead. 

JustAFan

Fitchburg State (5-1) bounced back from this weekend's loss to WPI to defeat Clark tonight, 106-96.  Clark's 3 frontcourt players (Normandin, Landers and Alexander) scored 18, 14 and 23 points but the most any of them played tonight was 24 minutes, in part due to foul trouble for Alexander and Normandin. It's not Coach Phillips style, but I wonder how Clark would do this year with a shorter bench and less of a rotation, and a focus on getting its best players on the court as much as possible. These 3 guys could carry this team with more minutes.

clarkie

I think part of Coach Phillips' reasoning tonight in playing all 13 players on his roster was to prove a point. He used to do this when I played. If his starters were making ridiculous mistakes or were not playing hard, he had no problem not only making a point by kidding the 12th and 13th guy off the bench in but to also acknowledge the hard work that they do day in and day out. It's a tough loss for the Cougars, but I think this all could get them in a necessary rhythm for their upcoming holiday tournament and conference play.

hugenerd

Everyone should check out the Insider article by Jimmy B on the front page if they havent done so already.  Its nice to have someone representing the NEWMAC and MIT.

JustAFan

MIT loses to undefeated (7-0) Emerson tonight 91-81 according to the Emerson website.  No box score posted yet.

hugenerd

Jimmy B scored 30 points on 12-19 shooting.  Billy Johnson had a double-double before fouling out. MIT outrebounded Emerson 42-12. However, MIT couldnt overcome the refs.  Their starting center, Dou Soumare fouled out in 9 minutes as MIT was called for 13 more fouls and Emerson shot 38 FTs to MITs 16.  The game was played at Emerson.  Emerson had 6 players score in double figures, but only one of those players score more than 10 points on FGs.  Tough game for MIT to go into the break on, they dont play again until after new years.

goldenpipes

Quote from: hugenerd on December 11, 2007, 11:07:24 PM
Jimmy B scored 30 points on 12-19 shooting.  Billy Johnson had a double-double before fouling out. MIT outrebounded Emerson 42-12. However, MIT couldnt overcome the refs.  Their starting center, Dou Soumare fouled out in 9 minutes as MIT was called for 13 more fouls and Emerson shot 38 FTs to MITs 16.  The game was played at Emerson.  Emerson had 6 players score in double figures, but only one of those players score more than 10 points on FGs.  Tough game for MIT to go into the break on, they dont play again until after new years.

I think that's a misrepresentation of the game that was played tonight. I thought Emerson outplayed MIT and won the game. The Lions led by 11 in the 1st half and by as many as 16 in the 2nd. The Lions played their usual brand of tough D that MIT couldn't answer tonight. Soumare fouled out pretty fast, but the calls I saw were legit, especially the 5th foul when he collided with Joe Boylan. MIT started to foul intentionally with 2:02 left in the 2nd half to try to cut the deficit - 10 of those attempts were accrued at the end. Jimmy B, Gampel, and Mroz were very good as usual but Emerson won with contributions across the board - six in double figures led by Ben Chase with 23.

Where did the 42-12 figure come from on the glass?